Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

APR Vortex generator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
APR Vortex generator

The part that goes over the antenna base is stick up when I test fitted it. Even if I put the tape on, I doubt that it will bend to the curve of the roof. Ughhh

And one of those rubber weather strips along the sides of the roof is not coming up. It's stuck or something. The other side just unclipped at the first part. Any tips?

I might just get this professionally installed and fitted if it becomes too much of a hassle
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this is nothing new as it was discussed at every VG thread that i can remember for as long as the APR VG was mentioned.

3 things you can do as far as what i have read people with this VG did.

1. make sure the roof is hot for the double sided tape to really stick.
2. buy a thicker rubber to hide the gap on the front of the antenna base.
3. cut out just the portion that covers the antenna base so the rest stays flat on the roof.

good luck
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ can you post a link to these threads? the search feature sucks
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

thanks beetle. I remember the one guy cutting his because he put it on and it was stuck, so he just cut that portion off while still on.

I'm curious about option 1, but worried that over time it will just pop up again once the adhesive loses its integrity.

I will probably end up cutting it off, although I would rather not. If the person who did the rubber thing is around, then please let me know what you did and post a pic.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

i will see if i can find those threads.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

i just bought some door molding that people put on door edges in black and used that along the whole vg, looks a lot better and no gap. kinda like beetle_oranges oem one, but my molding is a bit larger
Old Jul 9, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I took it to my mechanic and he said that he can make it fit, but I need to buy more 3M tape. Nowhere sells it! I went to Wegmans and Home Depot and they don't have it. I'll try an office supply store tomorrow.

He also said that he thinks that when APR made the pieces they left it on a level surface right out of the mold and the part, therefore, does not conform to the curve. on them. I would have gotten the Rexpeed one if I knew I had to modify this one to fit since the Rexpeed one has larger fins.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fishstix
I took it to my mechanic and he said that he can make it fit, but I need to buy more 3M tape. Nowhere sells it! I went to Wegmans and Home Depot and they don't have it. I'll try an office supply store tomorrow.

He also said that he thinks that when APR made the pieces they left it on a level surface right out of the mold and the part, therefore, does not conform to the curve. on them. I would have gotten the Rexpeed one if I knew I had to modify this one to fit since the Rexpeed one has larger fins.
lol there are mutiple threads that state that it doesn't fit flush on the antenna. i dont think any amount of double sided tape will fit. gl
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:32 PM

That's BS. I was going to get one until I saw this. Who wants to cut stuff up and buy pieces for something that should fit. I'm pretty bummed out.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
lol there are mutiple threads that state that it doesn't fit flush on the antenna. i dont think any amount of double sided tape will fit. gl
I know that. He's going to shave off some of the bottom so that it sits better on the curve of the roof. It won't sit flush, but the front piece that sticks up will hopefully sit closer to the roof so that the adhesive will hold. I need more tape because he needs to take all the preset tape off those parts, and I need more tape for my ARC air intake duct.

If the shaving doesn't work then I'm going to cut that part off, which is ridiculous because it should fit right out of the box. I'm ordering all JDM and AMS parts from here on out because I don't want these crappy fitment issues.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
on the contrary i remember reading someone claiming he did exactly this. if memory serves me right he did it for his friend and claims that it stuck without any gaps. i just need to find that thread.

home depot should have the 3m red double sided tape. its in the paint department.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fishstix

You mean Chargespeed?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beetle_orange
on the contrary i remember reading someone claiming he did exactly this. if memory serves me right he did it for his friend and claims that it stuck without any gaps. i just need to find that thread.

home depot should have the 3m red double sided tape. its in the paint department.
Thats exactly what i got at home depot. i removed all the double side tape that came with the VG from APR and used the 19lb grip red 3M double side tape. That stuff is very strong and I suggest you to heat it up and peal slowly if you ever want to remove it off the surface. Otherwise you will be removing your clear coat and some paint.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:58 PM

Do you guys think it's possible to heat it up so it reforms to the curvature of the roof?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

I went to my local home depot today and they didn't have any 3M tape. The workers didn't even know what the hell I was talking about when I asked for it. I'll try the other one in the other town. Maybe an auto shop has it, like Pep Boys?

Even if a stronger 3M adhesive works, it's still upsetting that the part doesn't fit.

Quick Reply: APR Vortex generator