Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Custom Gauge Pod Project

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Gauge Pod Project

I was tired of waiting on a gauge solution so after much debate, I decided to make my own. I decided the best place for the gauges was on the dash and I noticed the piece directly above the gauges is removable. To remove, start with the fake carbon fiber trim piece that runs all the way to the passenger door. There is one screw inside the glovebox. Once that screw is out, pull the trim piece off. Once it is off, move to the airbag lights in the center of the dash. there are three more screws there. remove the airbag/emergency flasher assembly. Next pull up and out on the stereo surround. It is pretty tight. Next, locate one phillips screw holding the gauge bezel to the dash. It is at the top left area of where you just removed the stereo surround. Once you take out that one screw, you can move the Gauge cluster bezel out and remove the panel I mounted the gauges to.

Now, I used a piece of cardboard to make a template of the gauge pod. This was by far the longest part of the process. Trim a little, test fit, repeat until it is exactly the size I wanted.

I transfered the template to 1/2 inch MDF and made 4 identical pieces with a jigsaw. Once they were all cut, I used wood glue and a clamp to put them together. After it was all dry, I sanded it smooth. Then I fiberglassed the block of wood. Then I used a 2" holesaw to cut through the first 3 pieces of MDF. From the bottom, I used a 1/2" holesaw to make a place for the wiring. Then I test fit the piece and marked the holes in the dash piece. Once all the holes were cut, I painted it with semi-gloss black paint. Here are a few pics of the process.
Custom Gauge Pod Project-gauge-1.jpg

Custom Gauge Pod Project-gauge-2.jpg

Custom Gauge Pod Project-gauge-3.jpg

Custom Gauge Pod Project-gauge-4.jpg

Custom Gauge Pod Project-gauge-5.jpg

It didn't turn out great, the paint has some imperfections. I plan to take the gauge pod to a body shop and have them paint it the right way. But I am happy with it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Co that was exactly what I was thinking . It would be great if u could just get a replacement piece for the gauges
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought it looked pretty good. If you dont like the wood finish.. lay down some fiber glass sheets on it and make a fiber cover and pull it off, mold in a front piece and sand away. That would give you a thinner, lighter and easily finished product-- if thats what your looking for.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
I thought it looked pretty good. If you dont like the wood finish.. lay down some fiber glass sheets on it and make a fiber cover and pull it off, mold in a front piece and sand away. That would give you a thinner, lighter and easily finished product-- if thats what your looking for.
I did fiberglass over the wood, but I left the wood in there. I wanted to make sure the gauges were secure, and this was my first time making a gauge pod. Originally, I wanted to have just a fiberglass shell, but I didn't know how easy it would be to get the fiberglass off the wood once it was dry.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Looks great!! Close up pics please! If you didn't prep the wood surface right it will be impossible to remove it without damaging it or completely destroying it
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gccruz
Looks great!! Close up pics please! If you didn't prep the wood surface right it will be impossible to remove it without damaging it or completely destroying it
Gotcha! I'm certain I didn't prep it right. I just sanded it smooth with 400 grit and started applying the fiberglass. Let me see if I have any other pics and I will post em up. I will also take better ones when it gets back from the body shop. I took the gauge cluster to be painted right! Not by some retard (me) with a spray can.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 05:20 PM

It's a good looking gauge pod, but you should really look into AMI-customs.com--There work is outstanding. Purchased a pillar from them and it is a clean, almost factory look. You won't be disappointed, trust me...
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

i like it.
the location is great! i don't see any visual bloking issue. good job
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Points for doing it yourself but isn't there a company out there that is manufacturing these (for those of us less inclined to DIY)?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Looks pretty good.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:03 PM

wow that actually looks reallllly good. i want something like that lol
Old Jan 3, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spazo
Points for doing it yourself but isn't there a company out there that is manufacturing these (for those of us less inclined to DIY)?
The Perrin universal dual pod can be mounted there. I considered mounting mine down on the dash like that, but decided to see how I'd like them on the steering column instead. If I ever need another two gauges that's where I'd put them.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:42 AM

CP-E sells a gauge pod that looks like factory, and fits in that spot...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, the CPE one looks awesome. Definatley better than I could ever do, but it wasn't out at the time I did mine, and it looks very large from the pictures...I would have to see it in person. The way I figured it, the panel that I mounted it to was $25 and I can easily return it to stock with a minimal investment. I just really got tired of waiting on a pilar or other gauge solution...

Thanks for the kind words...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

good work man! that's an awesome custom job

Quick Reply: Custom Gauge Pod Project