Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Remove and Polish Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for this write up! Took mine off today, sending it out to be powder coated tomorrow. I'll post pics when its back on! I would like to know how to do a wire tuck for the cables if anyone knows how to.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueX702
Thank you for this write up! Took mine off today, sending it out to be powder coated tomorrow. I'll post pics when its back on! I would like to know how to do a wire tuck for the cables if anyone knows how to.
Look in the How-to section (this section) for a basic wire tuck how-to I made
Old May 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ Thank you, I will check it out!
Old May 14, 2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very well done

good diy
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:01 PM

thats how that is done
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:25 PM

Looks good sofar, but would like to see final results. Post up when your done with the polishing.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

would be better if the removing valve cover pictures are actually different pictures with the parts being removed in according to the description steps
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:53 AM

Are you guys nuts!? You realize that your supposed to change the valve cover bolts? Not only that but there is a sequence in which the valve cover bolts are to be tightened!! And a spec in which they're to be torqued (ft/lb)!! Not only that but this is a perfect time to replace the gasket thats what? $25 bucks?

Meengiaaaaaa hack job... I don't know if you guys boost like I boost but thats just rediculous!.. Valve cover is, umm, a pretty important part of the puzzle.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

nice write up and good jod
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job man
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
SWEET! imma do this on my plastic cover!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I'd revive this thread since a few other people have asked me about how to do this and haven't come across it in a google search.

The cover has gone through a wrinkle coat and now back to polish with a wire tuck. It currently has a mirror polish with only one more session of effort on top of what was originally posted.

Others have also asked me about the magnesium maintaining it's shine vs aluminum. As far as I have experienced it looses its luster at the same rate as aluminum as they are weathered and oxidize naturally. I have also polished my AC lines which are aluminum and I generally have to give them all a quick polish once every couple months. I maintain their polish with just a dab of mother's magnesium/aluminum polish.

I hope this how to helps others as well!

Originally Posted by 09Mustang
Are you guys nuts!? You realize that your supposed to change the valve cover bolts? Not only that but there is a sequence in which the valve cover bolts are to be tightened!! And a spec in which they're to be torqued (ft/lb)!! Not only that but this is a perfect time to replace the gasket thats what? $25 bucks?

Meengiaaaaaa hack job... I don't know if you guys boost like I boost but thats just rediculous!.. Valve cover is, umm, a pretty important part of the puzzle.
I did this over 3 years ago now and have removed the valve cover at least 4 times-reusing the stock gasket. I am an experienced mechanic but I speak only for myself that not all gaskets have to be replaced with only one use. If you would like the added security, go for it. However, as long as you closely inspect your parts for wear and tear many can be reused.

This car has been daily driven at 29-30psi at peak torque tapering to 18-19 psi at redline with no issues and sitting at 70k miles...If there is that much blow-by in your evo you should get it checked out brother.

In addition, as stated in the first post, it is only a simple how to remove/polish the valve cover and I am in no way responsible for the DIYer skipping necessary tasks as torque orders.