Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

help!!! how do I take off the o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!!! how do I take off the o2 sensor

So I was trying to install a testpipe, the o2 sensor on the cat seems not coming off no matter what I do. I have even used WD-40 spray. So how did you guys take if off, or I just don't have enough strength?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably a good idea to work out in the weeks/months beforehand so you have enough strength to undo a bolt.

jk.

Get some Kroil or another good quality thread penetrating lubricant, then put it on and let it seep in for a few hours and do it's magic. Come back and give it another shot. It does take quite a bit of force sometimes.

Also make sure you're turning it the right way.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Heat that *****... that what i had to do. i got some map gas and heated it until it was glowing...
Old Oct 6, 2009, 07:15 PM

Penetrating oil and leverage. Put a pipe over the end of the wrench. Make sure it has a good grip on the O2 nut before you apply force.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Also it helps to use a slotted deep-well socket instead of just trying to wrench it from the sides. You will get better contact on all sides. Slotted on the side so the wire can hang out of the side while you're turning it. Expect the threads to be morphed from the heat. I've taken mine out a few times and I swear I don't know what it's still grabbing on lol. It looks like a mess of distorted threads! Good luck.

Oh and remember, lefty loosey!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CICreations
Also it helps to use a slotted deep-well socket instead of just trying to wrench it from the sides. You will get better contact on all sides. Slotted on the side so the wire can hang out of the side while you're turning it. Expect the threads to be morphed from the heat. I've taken mine out a few times and I swear I don't know what it's still grabbing on lol. It looks like a mess of distorted threads! Good luck.

Oh and remember, lefty loosey!
Is it possible the sensor and the cat has been melted together from the heat, so by applying brutal force it's going to cause damage to the sensor?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

i just sprayed some kroil on it. Put on the wrench and went at it with the hammer.

No they are not melted together. You would need an extremely high heat source. Just make sure you have a good bite with the wrench. You dont want to strip it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:15 PM

use this kind of wrench => http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/120/745/041/fvfB.jpg

use this spray (pb blaster) => http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4

Steps:

1. heat car up
2. spray PB Blaster on bolt
3. let spray sit for 30 mins
4 spray pb blaster
5 loosen bolt with wrench

You may need to let the spray sit longer and repeat heating and spraying. Eventually it will come off.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Many rear O2 sensors have been crossthreaded from the factory, which is probably the case. I would not advise heating up the area with a torch otherwise you might damage a 300 dollar sensor, which has to be replaced with a OEM one.

Using something like PB Blaster etc... will work well probably to help loosen thing up.

I suggest getting a $5 dollar O2 socket from the auto parts store and then using a large breaker bar to remove it.

Once you get the O2 sensor out, put some anti-seize on the sensor so if in the future you have to remove it, it will not be seized in there.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

1.) Spray around the socket part of the o2 sensor with PB blaster then go do step 2.

2.) If you dont already have one, go to your nearest autoparts store and get a o2 sensor socket. Make sure ou get a 1/2" drive o2 sensor socket.(Wait for the PB blaster to do its work)

3.) After waiting about 30 minutes or so, get under there and try to break it lose with the o2 sensor socket. It should work pretty easy.

BINGO
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

i have one for sale if anyone is interested

back on topic

spray with some penetrant let it work for a while and then unscrew it
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all the ideals. I have been running without the o2 sensor for 1 week. The ecu gave me a CEL right away. I am probably gonna try the PB Blaster spray and o2 sensor socket one this weekend. Hoping it works....
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

didnt know they made a special wrench of a 02 sensor. learn something new everyday.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ltdanish07
didnt know they made a special wrench of a 02 sensor. learn something new everyday.
Yup, its a cheap socket that works great!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
i have one for sale if anyone is interested

back on topic

spray with some penetrant let it work for a while and then unscrew it
Very interested, Threads Took a fall on mine,

Pm me

Quick Reply: help!!! how do I take off the o2 sensor