Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to install grimspeed 3 port solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to install grimspeed 3 port solenoid?

does anyone have info on how to install the grimspeed 3 port solenoid?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

i think for the most part...the middle port goes to the boost source, then the port you can blow thru goes on the waste gate...then the other one you can leave alone or run back to the intake if you have a port for it on your intake pipe.

but it would be nicer if someone else would confirm that

Last edited by reggiesd; Mar 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Remove all factory hoses including the tubing that holds the "boost pill"

This will be a hose coming from the turbo outlet flange which T's into a hose that comes off of the wastegate actuator and a hose that connects to the intake tube after the MAF. All of these connect to one of two solenoids, one black and one brown.

2. Unplug and remove the top (brown) solenoid

3. Figure out a way to put the Grimmspeed BCS in the brown solenoid's place

Grimmspeed does NOT include anything you can mount this with, you're on your own for now. I got on their case about this and after weeks of asking and asking, they're now finally working on a mounting solution so that their "mounts in factory location for OEM fitment" can still be a true statement. When you order this thing you get the Evo VIII / IX bracket and the box even says Evo VIII / IX. I told them several times and with detailed pictures that you cannot use this same bracket and instead of believing me and making something, they kept saying John at Akuma Motorsports is going to get back to them with pictures since he said it can be installed. It was finally determined this John guy didn't install it in OEM location and they're now working on it.

4. Leave the bottom (black) solenoid as is, plugged in and no hoses going anywhere

5. Plug in the GS 3-port BCS using the supplied plug and connect hoses as follows:

Port 3 goes back to the turbo outlet flange nipple I talked about earlier, port 2 goes to the wastegate actuator that was also previously mentioned, and port 1 can be left open OR go back to the intake tube.

Name:  GS3port.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  17.8 KB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Brown solenoid that gets removed:

Name:  100_0735.jpg
Size:  76.5 KB

GS 3-port BCS in place of the brown solenoid:

Name:  100_0741.jpg
Size:  83.4 KB

To think up a possible mounting solution:

Name:  100_0742.jpg
Size:  98.2 KB

Eh? No bueno...

Name:  100_0743.jpg
Size:  85.2 KB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

got it...thanks for the help frankiago
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Greatest 3 port solenoid on the market good luck with mounting it. Once you mount it and tune it you will love it
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Its odd that Grimmspeed hasnt made the correct mount for the Evo X. They shouldnt market it as a "bolt on" if it isnt a bolt on..
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

is this safe with just a reflash?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I just want to double check cause the wording can be taken two ways...but when you say to remove the stock vacuum lines with the boost pill in them, you mean to never re-install them correct? Using new vacuum lines with no pills right?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

yep remove the ori brown solenoid and all ori lines (don't need em anymore) leave the lower (black) connector plugged but no hoses.

3port no 2 goes to wga nipple
no 3 goes to turbo nipple
and as for my case no 1 went to my intake nipple or leave it as it is.
get some new lines, 4mm silicone fits nicely and zip tie nipples.
zero out all your Passive Solenoid & use Reactive WGDC to set desired boost, start from low no's !
tune n happy happy boostin'

nipples to nipples LMFAO HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Last edited by E6-X; Apr 23, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE ON MOUNTING:

Grimmspeed has finally addressed the issue after I pestered them for a few weeks and sent one out to me right away. It comes with a bolt and nut and mounts through where the OEM brown solenoid used to be.

This is the best place to mount it because the OEM bracket "floats" on rubber. If you would've mounted this to a stud on the firewall, you'd get the clicking of the solenoid resonating right into the cabin and it would amplify the noise.

If you have the Evo VIII/IX Grimmspeed 3-port BCS, get a hold of Grimmspeed themselves and ask for an Evo X specific bracket.

I'm about to send my original bracket (the one that was intended for the Evo VIII/IX) back to them on Monday.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

btw guys, 1 question abt the 3 port after installation.

1st i am very sure that it is installed correctly ! but when the car is under boost during WOT i hear some sort of sound, sounds like an automatic pistol firing away. not too sure what it is but sure it comes from the either the 3 port or boost leaking but i could be wrong abt boost leak (i think boost is leaking too cos i'm still on stocker boosting @ 27 psi) i think it could be clicking sound of the 3 port which is always mentioned ?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I just took off the whole solenoid and mounted the GS stock location, is that OK? Do I need to leave the stock one on there? I took it for a test drive and didn't hear any ticking.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by charon2123
I just took off the whole solenoid and mounted the GS stock location, is that OK? Do I need to leave the stock one on there? I took it for a test drive and didn't hear any ticking.
what boost levels are you running at ? try go WOT a couple of times. I notice it comes at higher boost levels but stand to be corrected.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
UPDATE ON MOUNTING:

Grimmspeed has finally addressed the issue after I pestered them for a few weeks.
BTW, youre not the only one. I and a few others have called Grimmspeed inquiring about an Evo X specific bracket. I for one will never ghetto rig an aftermarket part onto my Evo. Let us know what happens (and post pics).

Quick Reply: how to install grimspeed 3 port solenoid?