Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

fog light wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light wiring question...

i think ill have a better chance of asking this in the how-to question..im trying to make a switch for my fog lights so i can have it on or off with a switch. my question is how do i go about doing it the proper way. do i run a wire from each fog to the battery then put a switch in between or find the fog light fuse and run a switch for that? but if i do that the fog can only come one with the ignition on and light switch is engage.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run a relay and an on off switch
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say find the relay and find out where the power wire comes from then wire them to the parking lamps . That way there will not be any cutting and rewiring .
Let me see if i can find a Lexus thread since those guys do it all the time .
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nyczzzjohn

================================================== ========

Parts Needed:
1 Mini Add-A-Circuit (Found at Pepboys, Autozone or partsexpress.com)

3 x Male quick disconnects

4 x Female shielded quick disconnects

2-3 feet of 16 GA. Wire

2 x 7.5a mini fuses:

Tools Needed:

ratchet with 10mm fitting, wire strippers, crimping tool, fuze puller or tweezers

-------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: On the passenger side, pull up on the door plastic runner along the door sill. It is attached by clips and should pop right up with ease.

Remove the kick panel cover to expose the fuse box. This is attached by metal clips, and requires a little more force.

Step 2: Remove these two bolts (Size 10 Metric).One is on top one is on the bottom.

Step 3: Lift up on the fuse panel and pull it open to see the Fog Relay.

Step 4: Make three 4-6" wires with a Male quick disconnect on one end and one Female quick disconnect on the other, and one 12-16" wire with one female quick disonnect on one end only. (You will need to file down the male end of the wire so that it is the same size as the corresponding prong on the Fog Relay)

Step 5: Crimp the Mini Add-a-Circuit to the end of the long wire. (In this picture I already added the 2 7.5AMP fuses to the mini add a circuit, but you can do it later on in the instructions).

Step 6: Plug the wires onto the Fog Relay and slide the Fog Relay back into the area behind the fuse panel, then plug three male ends into the corresponding slots of the fuse panel (the three plugs shown are the only ones used, the fourth is empty). You may have to file down the male terminals here if they don't fit. When done you should want to wrap the terminals here with electrical tape.

Step 7: Pull the last/bottom 7.5AMP fuse from the middle column (this is your ignition fuse) and replace it with your mini Add-a-Circuit (don't forget to add 2 x 7.5amp fuses to the mini add a circuit, otherwise your car won't start).

Step 8: Turn the key to the "On" position and enjoy your fogs. Make sure the Highbeams aren't on. (my emblem is missing because i'm currently black pearling it.)

Step 9: Put your car back together.

ALL INFORMATION POSTED HERE IS FOR EDUCATION ONLY. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHOEVER MAY BURN DOWN THEIR CAR/HOUSE OR CAUSE IT TO NO LONGER WORK IN ANY OTHER WAY WHILE ATTEMPTING THIS MOD. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURIES THAT MAY OCCUR WHILE DOING THIS MOD

WARNING: Do NOT combine this mod with the highbeam mod. (The one where you take apart your steering column and ground 1 of the wires so that you can run the headlights/fogs/highbeams all at the same time. IT MIGHT FRY YOUR FUSE BOX.
This is Off http://my.is/forums/