Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:37 PM
RiG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP what color did you use? It looks like it matches the stock grey trim pieces that are on the car (the bumper insert, ect.) It looks good! I have blacked out a lot of different headlights for friends and on my own cars. Im waiting to do the EVOs until next summer, I think.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

So Im about 75% done with the project, and I think I've done really well for someone is usually scared ****less to do something like this on his own. Ive run into two problems or what I consider problems anyway.

After leaving the light in the oven for 30 minutes, I pulled it out and could not get the light to seperate, I think it was because I didnt pull on it enough, for fear of breaking something, because after I put it in the oven for another 10, I just sacked up and started pulling and it came right out, and I had my brother cut the silicone with a razorblade.

My second problem followed shortly after, in your writeup about removing the trim pieces from the inside, you say you should just back those bolts out and then tug on the chrome piece, and it should just snap off. Not on mine, I could clearly see where it was screwed into a plastic frame of some type, which you mentioned nothing about in the writeup, so thinking maybe i hadnt backed the bolts out far enough, I kept going until eventually they did come free from the unit, where I could get behind it and unscrew the bezel pieces. No harm done in my opinion, but you guys know better then me.

Will my headlights be messed up when I go to put them back together, like unlevel?! I know that chrome piece was screwed to that unit, which is the leveling unit.

Im worried but I'll have pics tonight.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
So Im about 75% done with the project, and I think I've done really well for someone is usually scared ****less to do something like this on his own. Ive run into two problems or what I consider problems anyway.

After leaving the light in the oven for 30 minutes, I pulled it out and could not get the light to seperate, I think it was because I didnt pull on it enough, for fear of breaking something, because after I put it in the oven for another 10, I just sacked up and started pulling and it came right out, and I had my brother cut the silicone with a razorblade.

My second problem followed shortly after, in your writeup about removing the trim pieces from the inside, you say you should just back those bolts out and then tug on the chrome piece, and it should just snap off. Not on mine, I could clearly see where it was screwed into a plastic frame of some type, which you mentioned nothing about in the writeup, so thinking maybe i hadnt backed the bolts out far enough, I kept going until eventually they did come free from the unit, where I could get behind it and unscrew the bezel pieces. No harm done in my opinion, but you guys know better then me.

Will my headlights be messed up when I go to put them back together, like unlevel?! I know that chrome piece was screwed to that unit, which is the leveling unit.

Im worried but I'll have pics tonight.
Here's a good post on evoxforums to help with your question.

http://www.***************/forums/sh...&postcount=103

Nevermind - forgot links dont work from other forums. YGPM!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

lmao @ that being censored, competition is deep around here I guess.

I got it done, it looks ****ing amazing, I now have 2 of the 4 total mods I will do to the exterior of the car. Tint + Blackout headlights + springs + Work CR Kais, OR maybe Blue RPF1's if Im feeling brave when I order wheels and tires.

Im pretty sure my beam alignment is messed up, as the passenger side sits noticeably higher then the drivers side, but my brother swares its normal to "comply with laws" I just dont remember there being that seperation before I did the mod.

I think you can adjust the beam height/width via those two bolts on the back right? I think I will play with it tomorrow and get it just right, pics to come also!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:21 AM

lmao @ that being censored, competition is deep around here I guess.

I got it done, it looks ****ing amazing, I now have 2 of the 4 total mods I will do to the exterior of the car. Tint + Blackout headlights + springs + Work CR Kais, OR maybe Blue RPF1's if Im feeling brave when I order wheels and tires.

Im pretty sure my beam alignment is messed up, as the passenger side sits noticeably higher then the drivers side, but my brother swares its normal to "comply with laws" I just dont remember there being that seperation before I did the mod.

I think you can adjust the beam height/width via those two bolts on the back right? I think I will play with it tomorrow and get it just right, pics to come also!
Passenger side always sits higher than the drivers side, but it shouldn't be waaaay up there. It's so the oncoming cars don't get blinded by your driverside lights.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

haha, i think mine is waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there, its so hard to tell though, it looks fine when you put the beams on a wall from 5-6 feet, but driving normally it looks like there is major seperation in the beams from driver's to passenger's. It seriously looks like the drivers is normal and the pass is permanently stuck in "bright" mode with the beams up in the trees.

Pics to come later today.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:14 PM

haha, i think mine is waaaaaaaaaaaaay up there, its so hard to tell though, it looks fine when you put the beams on a wall from 5-6 feet, but driving normally it looks like there is major seperation in the beams from driver's to passenger's. It seriously looks like the drivers is normal and the pass is permanently stuck in "bright" mode with the beams up in the trees.

Pics to come later today.
Haha just use a screwdriver and stick it in through the whole and adjust the leveling on a wall 20-30 feet away, or however far you want your lights to go out.

I just blacked mine out yesterday..there's a few imperfections in the paint here and there.. and when I tried to niteshade it came out all botchy so i tthink I'm gonna pull my front turn signals lol.

Also switched to ZKW-R lenses, I can tell the diference in light output, more clear and I'm loving the cutoff.
Name:  blax.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  42.1 KB
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phraust
Haha just use a screwdriver and stick it in through the whole and adjust the leveling on a wall 20-30 feet away, or however far you want your lights to go out.

I just blacked mine out yesterday..there's a few imperfections in the paint here and there.. and when I tried to niteshade it came out all botchy so i tthink I'm gonna pull my front turn signals lol.

Also switched to ZKW-R lenses, I can tell the diference in light output, more clear and I'm loving the cutoff.
Where did you get the zkwr lens?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by pghdsm
Where did you get the zkwr lens?
Theretrofitsource google it, the cheapest place you'll find them
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

so I noticed one of my DRL's isnt working today, I think I like it more without them, I may just pull the other one out too. Not illegal to do so in AL i believe. Yeah my paint is kind of spotchy too because we didnt even start painting till around 5:30.. so we pretty much rushed in between coats, didnt let it dry enough before assembly and stuff. So there are a few scuffs and fingerprint marks, but all in all, Im really happy with how it turned out, after I get around to tweaking those headlights beams. In hindsight, I should have waited longer to do this, I drove the car on a 3 hour road trip tonight, and actually noticed the driver/passenger were pretty level on the pavement in front of me, I just cant remember if it was like that before or not, and it seems the driver's beam is a lot heavier?? i guess would be the word, it seems more focused rather then spread out like the passenger.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

So I swang by my parents house today and put the Evo in the garage and closed it to try to adjust the headlights, I really cant tell if its crooked or messed up or what, hoping you guys can tell from these pics.

Low-Beams
Name:  2010-11-01151234.jpg
Size:  34.8 KB
High-Beams
Name:  2010-11-01151249.jpg
Size:  36.7 KB
What it looks like driving down the road at 80. It looks like the cut-off line is crooked or out of whack on the drivers side, and Ive also started to notice a loud knock/click sound that comes from the passenger head light when I turn them on. After about 2-3 seconds it stops. God please dont tell me the oven messed up my ballast.
Name:  2010-11-01183322.jpg
Size:  14.7 KB

Worth it though imo
Name:  2010-11-01162645.jpg
Size:  199.5 KB
Name:  2010-11-01162615.jpg
Size:  142.0 KB
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:28 PM

So I swang by my parents house today and put the Evo in the garage and closed it to try to adjust the headlights, I really cant tell if its crooked or messed up or what, hoping you guys can tell from these pics.

Low-Beams

High-Beams

What it looks like driving down the road at 80. It looks like the cut-off line is crooked or out of whack on the drivers side, and Ive also started to notice a loud knock/click sound that comes from the passenger head light when I turn them on. After about 2-3 seconds it stops. God please dont tell me the oven messed up my ballast.

Worth it though imo

Is the clicking constant? And then after a while it goes away? I had that for a while after putting back on my headlights, but then they stopped and everything's normal now.

Yeah, your cutoff is like mine right now, you need to adjust the motor. Get a long screwdriver and put it in through the hole that directs into the leveling motor, I think twisting it to the right makes it go up. Try adjusting both of your cutoff to inbetween what they're at right now, with your passenger side sitting a little higher than the driver side.

on your headlights too! did you pull off the reflector or did you nite-shade over them? I couldn't tell without a sideview
Now plastidip the fog rings!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phraust
Is the clicking constant? And then after a while it goes away? I had that for a while after putting back on my headlights, but then they stopped and everything's normal now.

Yeah, your cutoff is like mine right now, you need to adjust the motor. Get a long screwdriver and put it in through the hole that directs into the leveling motor, I think twisting it to the right makes it go up. Try adjusting both of your cutoff to inbetween what they're at right now, with your passenger side sitting a little higher than the driver side.

on your headlights too! did you pull off the reflector or did you nite-shade over them? I couldn't tell without a sideview
Now plastidip the fog rings!
The clicking isnt constant it would seriously only happen like right when I turned the lights on, and once they were on, it stopped.

Where exactly is this hole your talking about? I dont remember seeing a hole, I thought the adjustments were done with the two 10mm bolts on the backside? Thank god I didnt try to adjust anything today lol.

I used night shades on the reflectors.

Haha definitely! Thats on the list as well as attempting to smoke my side markers.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:52 AM

The clicking isnt constant it would seriously only happen like right when I turned the lights on, and once they were on, it stopped.

Where exactly is this hole your talking about? I dont remember seeing a hole, I thought the adjustments were done with the two 10mm bolts on the backside? Thank god I didnt try to adjust anything today lol.

I used night shades on the reflectors.

Haha definitely! Thats on the list as well as attempting to smoke my side markers.
I don't think you have anything to worry about the clicking, the ballasts typically get pretty hot anyway, probably hotter than the oven so I doubt you overcooked it haha

Here's the diagram, I don't think you need to adjust your left-rights cause it looks all right in the garage pic when you turn on your high beams, it makes that ^__^ face you just need to level it.

Attached Thumbnails ***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***-adj.jpg  
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

my passenger is a little higher than my driver after doing this. I may adjust them, but it isn't to serious. I am about to hit the fog light rings as well :-)

Quick Reply: ***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***