Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMI pillar gauge install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMI pillar gauge install

Day 2 of Xmas gift installs (Day 1 was AGP FMIC) was the AMI pillar 2 gauge pod with PLX Devices Boost and A/F gauges.

AMI makes are really nice product - fit and finish were perfect. This set-up gives you a real OEM quality. The AMI install instructions found on the website were clear and easy to follow. The pillar popped right off and the new one popped right in.

While there are cheaper alternatives, no one matches up the OEM quality of fit and finish like AMI.

We choose PLX Devices gauges because we had used them before and like them a lot. PLX gauges come in two parts the display (1/2 -3/4 deep) and a brain box which is great when space is limited. The brain boxes were installed right of the fuse panel.

A/F - We added a bung to our test pipe and ran the wiring via the grommet on the passengers foot well.

Boost - we ran the line following this thread which is very helpful if you need to get wires from the drivers side into the engine bay. Worthy of a bookmark.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-h...ml#post8804089

We are very happy with the results and had a great father and son day with this mod.
Attached Thumbnails AMI pillar gauge install-ami1.jpg   AMI pillar gauge install-ami3.jpg  
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Nice setup. How long did you have to wait for that part?

Did you send your a-pillar in or did you just order an entirely new one?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by OZ_2435
Nice setup. How long did you have to wait for that part?

Did you send your a-pillar in or did you just order an entirely new one?
Found it easier to just to buy a new OEM pillar from AMI. I figure when its time to sell the car, I'll be able to revert to stock and sell the AMI pillar in the marketplace. AMI tells you up front its 8 weeks and its worth the wait. Its also worth the price (yes, its pricey) but I'll get half my $ back when I'm done with it and sell it. Hopefully the pics are good enough to show the OEM fit and finish. Its not that its gorgeous (it is) but its more that it does not look like an addition or bolt-on. The color is OEM and the texture is OEM, as if it came from Mitsu.

This is the dual low mounts, apparently the low mounts are the most popular and the gauges are not in your face. Both gauges are perfectly visible. The only thing I wish was that the PLX boost gauge had a max boost read button.

I can appreciate for a track car, you probably want the gauges in a direct line of site but for show or DD this is the way to go in my opinion.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:14 AM

Looks awesome! cant wait to get mine, my defi's and aem w/b are anxiously awaiting its arrival. Order was placed in nov should be here by the end of the month
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:42 PM

It looks good.