Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

looking for a how to on downpipe removal on the evo x

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a how to on downpipe removal on the evo x

i cant figure it out and i cant get a good spot to get to it from under the car and the o2 housing is a ***** to get off and i cant manage that either can anyone help or lead me in the right direction
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:23 AM

i just did this yesterday, i got the MAP downpipe with ext dump....pain the the @$$, took me 10 hours...i split the down piple from the O2 housing and pulled it out from the top, there are 6 total bolts, one is hidden behind the mouth on drivers side,

look up the thread AMS DOWNPIPE and they have a perfect explaination and how to...if you have extra cash, i would just have some one do it

but you need, lots of extensions, PB BLASTER IS A MUST, Take off strut bar, and all heat shields, also if you go to mapperformance website, they have a blog with how to install.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXjavi
i just did this yesterday, i got the MAP downpipe with ext dump....pain the the @$$, took me 10 hours...i split the down piple from the O2 housing and pulled it out from the top, there are 6 total bolts, one is hidden behind the mouth on drivers side,

look up the thread AMS DOWNPIPE and they have a perfect explaination and how to...if you have extra cash, i would just have some one do it

but you need, lots of extensions, PB BLASTER IS A MUST, Take off strut bar, and all heat shields, also if you go to mapperformance website, they have a blog with how to install.
your right about replacing the oem downpipe to aftermarket i did it by my self i don't wanna do it again thats for sure
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:19 PM

need bunch of tools for that.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
bao
Evolving Member

Search turbo install or downpipe install and you will find a lot of topics regarding this. I got a ratcheting swivel box wrench to deal with that last bolt...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 AM

I got the "hidden nut" off with a 3/8 drive 14mm flex socket + 2" extension + 3/8 swivel + 6" extension + ratchet. Wasn't too bad, just get the flex socket + 2" ext on it 1st, then attach the rest.

All together took about 4 hrs. What took longer was the 1st dp I bought (Perrin) didn't fit. I located an AMS one and realized I needed to buy a stud to put on to mate with the "hidden nut." 1 hour to remove stock downpipe. 2 hours to remove heat shields and oem O2 housing. 1 hour to put new stuff on. Jackstands, no lift necessary.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I attempted to install a invidia dp on my x and failed miserably. I broke a spring bolt off in the 02 housing. I had to take it to my friends shop. Took him about 5 hours to fix the issue. I am so pissed at myself. Make sure you have a lift or pay someone to install the parts. I still have to re-install my 02 housing heat shield since it just got too late.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

i just did this also. I have the MAP o2 recirc. took me 7 hrs. most of the time was getting to the nut on back side. at first i tried ratchet wrenches, but realized that they werent working. then called MAP. dp has to be seperate from the o2 housing. once that is off, you can feel the nut . it is located, if you can see the heat sheild attached to the housing, there is a bolt that hold it to the housing. For some reason, cant get it off. but if you see that bolt, it is to the right of it on back side of housing. i swear that you need little hands and long rubber arms. the bottom bolts on passenger side can be gotten from fender well better. the rest of the bolts can be gotten from top. except the nut.....lol
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:13 PM

i took ALL the bolts from the top, the only thing from bottom was having my buddy help with the twisting, it was a long a$$ job, but definitely worth it

...will i ever do it again @!&#^$*@$@(*@#!$^ NO!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:33 PM

Got a dp for sale

Just bought an AP Exhaust aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddd
Not going through that.... Sounds like I’m going to sell my dp....
I don’t think it’s worth it.
Looks like I’m just going to install the TP and CB. Oh well...

Truly, how much would you gain from the DP?????
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

ejjp13.......there are different DP's..... some are from the o2 housing down, easy to install. (two spring bolts on upper end, and two bols on bottom end) the one i did is an o2 housing eliminator.... not so easy.

Last edited by armysoldier1073; Mar 16, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had pondered doing this myself but after reading everthing posted here. I doubt that will happen! 4-10hr of labor subject to experience.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
there are different DP's..... some are from the o2 housing down, easy to install. (two sprinf bolts on upper end, and two bols on bottom end) the one i did is an o2 housing eliminator.... not so easy.
The Agency DP bolts to the O2 housing. (2 spring bolts).. Im not sure if im going to even attempt that.....

Once I get to the DP is will make my decision them...

Will the DP really make that much of a difference?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it will make a differnce. The spring bolts are easy... soak them with PB Blaster and use extentions and go from bottom. also spray your o2 sensor so i comes off easier, wont hurt it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:06 AM

Small little torch will heat the metal and it will pop out nice and easy(o2). PB Blaster is your friend. This will take alot of the broken bolt stories away.

Quick Reply: looking for a how to on downpipe removal on the evo x