Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Rexpeed vortex generator VG Non SSS - Review & Install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rexpeed vortex generator VG Non SSS - Review & Install

Review: Rexpeed vortex generator (VG) for non SSS

material of vg - stiff fiberglass

price - 10/10, $165 painted WW

instructions - none

tools provided - 3M tape

tools used - 3M double side tape + drill + sandpaper + textbooks + barbell weights

people to install - 2

pre-color match from rexpeed - 9/10 (close enough)

fitment -
initial fitment is 5/10 from the box w/out personal modifications. only the antenna base hole was in the proper center location. But the size of the antenna base hole wasn't up to par. The tail end of the vg didn't reach the end of the roof. Also, only one side would lay flat or align during test fitting.

personal modification had to be done.
Shaved off 1/4" from the head of the antenna base hole (& its upper curved corners) so that the tail end of the vg can align & wrap around the end of the roof that meets the rear windshield.

Name:  rexvg11xxx.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  47.8 KB

To shave off fiberglass: I marked off how much was needed to be shaved (started w/ 1/8"). I then used a drill and used the side edges of the drill bit to shave off fiberglass. Moved drill slowly from side to side. Shaved off fiberglass in small increments. Test fitting after each shaving. Once the appropriate amount was shaved off and the tail end of the vg fit around the end of the roof; fitment was much improved. Used sandpaper to smooth out rough shaved areas.

The sides also laid flatter and were more aligned. At this point, fitment was 7.5/10 w/out tape.

Tape areas:

Name:  rexvg12x.jpg
Size:  45.3 KB

Mounting: After shaving excess fiberglass & test fitting. Time to get that buddy of yours to help align & then hold down the opposite end as you apply the taped vg onto your roof.

total install time: a whopping 8+hrs total. Yes. After install, you need to put weights (i used old textbooks, 5lb & 2.5lb barbell weights) on top of the vg so it can:
-stay in place
-help 'shape' the fiberglass to the curve of the roof
-help w/ tape adhesion.
Lay out a cloth on top of vg to serve as a protective layer before stacking your weights. Place weights in areas where you see fit. Leave the weights on overnight.

Results: (raw pix, car unwashed), fitment isn't perfect, but close enough & a vast improvement from 'out of the box'. - FINAL FITMENT RATING 9/10
Name:  vgfar1.jpg
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  lowm500021.jpg
Size:  32.5 KB
Name:  lowm500020.jpg
Size:  33.6 KB
Name:  lowm500017.jpg
Size:  25.3 KB
Name:  lowm500016.jpg
Size:  27.3 KB

Recommend to others:
Sure, but consider...
pros:
-price
-material
-color matching
cons:
-fitment
-possibility of extra labor, but certainly manageable.

Thanks for taking the time to read & hopefully my experience w/ the extra labor during installation is an isolated case.

Last edited by Sol-Good; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:59 PM

Was really thinking about getting a rexspeed cf one for my car. Even though I have the SSS package i bet i run into the same problem. To much time and effort for me but like you stated the pros and cons so its all personal preference and budget. Thanks for the review there isnt but only one other i believe or a video of how to install it.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:11 AM

2010xMan - i agree with you. in the end, it's all about personal preference on whether to buy or not. just wanted to share info for reference.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:54 PM

Curious- in this photo you can see the cut around the antenna, if the VG is sealed onto the top of the car, won't this entrap water and dirt ruining the paint underneath?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:36 AM

Only1Balto -- good question. i hear ya, but it's not a major concern if you are diligent w/ the cleanliness of your car.

personally, living in a dry climate, it's not a big concern. when i wash the car, i do it myself and cover that very small area to prevent water entrapment.

on a rainy day, the cut out may entrap/collect a very small amount of water and catch a bit of dirt. that's a possibility for sure; but it surely wont be significant enough to 'ruin' paint.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:50 PM

ive never seen a painted one before, almost always cf. nice work on the mod fitment and writeup.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:10 PM

Big ups for the great write up and pics. Thanks for the tips too.
Now to find some big *** books...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:56 PM

Addition to tools list: sharp utility knife. That tape is sticky, definitely easier to peel backing with knife. I used the whole roll of tape. A bit overkill but better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back to life

Setup my today
Old May 1, 2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tampavw
Back to life

Setup my today

0o0o0o !! Please post more pictures !! + full body .. Very interested in this and may be getting this later down the line..

Great review + write up!!

Old May 2, 2014, 01:08 PM

please post more pictures !! + full body .. Very interested in this and may be getting this later down the line..

Great review + write up!!

+1
Old May 5, 2014, 03:02 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Only1Balto
Curious- in this photo you can see the cut around the antenna, if the VG is sealed onto the top of the car, won't this entrap water and dirt ruining the paint underneath?
its better to have a small water exit. You can never make anything truly waterproof.

Originally Posted by Sol-Good
Only1Balto -- good question. i hear ya, but it's not a major concern if you are diligent w/ the cleanliness of your car.

personally, living in a dry climate, it's not a big concern. when i wash the car, i do it myself and cover that very small area to prevent water entrapment.
another thing that ruins paint is trapped water that bakes in the sun. Thats why all the APR carbon fiber wings fall apart. Water pools on them, then the sun evaporates it and it wears off the clear coat. If water runs into the antenna hole, it will actually flow under the vortex generator, down into the rear glass water channel, which actually runs down the side of the rear glass and to an exit under the trunk.

tl;dr- don't worry about it too much, water drains out the windshield water channel...in theory.

Last edited by ikt; May 5, 2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old May 5, 2014, 03:07 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sumiyaka
Addition to tools list: sharp utility knife. That tape is sticky, definitely easier to peel backing with knife. I used the whole roll of tape. A bit overkill but better safe than sorry.
when you put it on, try not to have totally sold tape so water can run out from underneath

pro tip: peel pack only 1" of the tape back on each side of VG
set VG on roof, align perfectly, then press on each side. After each side is tacked on, slowly peel the rest of the tape backing out from under the tacked on VG. That way it stays in place as the tape attaches

white on white looks outstanding, I wanted a white X but htey didn't have any :/
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:43 PM

looks good
Originally Posted by Sol-Good
Review: Rexpeed vortex generator (VG) for non SSS

material of vg - stiff fiberglass

price - 10/10, $165 painted WW

instructions - none

tools provided - 3M tape

tools used - 3M double side tape + drill + sandpaper + textbooks + barbell weights

people to install - 2

pre-color match from rexpeed - 9/10 (close enough)

fitment -
initial fitment is 5/10 from the box w/out personal modifications. only the antenna base hole was in the proper center location. But the size of the antenna base hole wasn't up to par. The tail end of the vg didn't reach the end of the roof. Also, only one side would lay flat or align during test fitting.

personal modification had to be done.
Shaved off 1/4" from the head of the antenna base hole (& its upper curved corners) so that the tail end of the vg can align & wrap around the end of the roof that meets the rear windshield.

To shave off fiberglass: I marked off how much was needed to be shaved (started w/ 1/8"). I then used a drill and used the side edges of the drill bit to shave off fiberglass. Moved drill slowly from side to side. Shaved off fiberglass in small increments. Test fitting after each shaving. Once the appropriate amount was shaved off and the tail end of the vg fit around the end of the roof; fitment was much improved. Used sandpaper to smooth out rough shaved areas.

The sides also laid flatter and were more aligned. At this point, fitment was 7.5/10 w/out tape.

Tape areas:

Mounting: After shaving excess fiberglass & test fitting. Time to get that buddy of yours to help align & then hold down the opposite end as you apply the taped vg onto your roof.

total install time: a whopping 8+hrs total. Yes. After install, you need to put weights (i used old textbooks, 5lb & 2.5lb barbell weights) on top of the vg so it can:
-stay in place
-help 'shape' the fiberglass to the curve of the roof
-help w/ tape adhesion.
Lay out a cloth on top of vg to serve as a protective layer before stacking your weights. Place weights in areas where you see fit. Leave the weights on overnight.

Results: (raw pix, car unwashed), fitment isn't perfect, but close enough & a vast improvement from 'out of the box'. - FINAL FITMENT RATING 9/10

Recommend to others:
Sure, but consider...
pros:
-price
-material
-color matching
cons:
-fitment
-possibility of extra labor, but certainly manageable.

Thanks for taking the time to read & hopefully my experience w/ the extra labor during installation is an isolated case.