Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Help! Calling all STOCK suspension X's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Calling all STOCK suspension X's

I'm doing a lowering spring install and it was going great until I took the front strut assemblies out of the car and realized I forgot to mark the outside stud so I would know which way to reinstall the top of the strut tower. I would greatly appreciate if someone w/ a stock suspension X would look under their hood at the strut tower. I have pointed out a dot on the top of the strut tower that should be visible w/ the assembly installed. Can you tell me if this dot points toward the outside or front or rear on each side of the vehicle PLEASE!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My measurements say it's symmetrical so it shouldn't matter which way goes where. A quick check of the service manual seems to confirm this.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

One "bump" faces the rear and one the front on mine.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks so much for the replys! And thanks for the quick shipping Steve! However now I'm more confused! I read a very comprehensive install awhile back before I started this and at first I forgot where I found it. I believe it was on a previous model evo installing hotchkis springs but they said to mark it and I forgot to do so. I remembered about this as soon as I got the springs out of the car. It seems to be different because when I put my finger between the freely spinning top of the strut tower and the plate just underneath it i can feel the difference as the one w/ the dot is higher than the other two. Here are some pics showing the difference that I'm talking about. I check the drivers side and the passenger side and the dot doesn't seem to correlate to the spacing difference so now I don't know what to do...

First:

Second:

Third:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. Any advise? BTW these pics are w/ the screwdriver in the same place and only spinning the top portion of the strut assembly.

Last edited by G-4ce_Banger; Jul 16, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sfearl1
One "bump" faces the rear and one the front on mine.
Thanks for taking the time to check! Can you tell me which side faces which way? I don't know if the dot will even work but maybe if more than one person checks this out for me, it might be the same on all of them.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That piece is seperate from the other. The top plate spins on a bearing. When u loosen the upper strut nut, with the spring compressed of course, it will make sense.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:42 PM

I understand that they are separate pieces but it still seems logical to me that they could have a specific way to go in that could affect suspension geometry/performance. But it seems to be the general consensus for the most part that it doesn't matter which way they go back in..
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

...what does matter when re-assembling the strut assembly after a coil change is...

there is a small hole in the upper spring "hat" and

a hole in the lower spring perch.

these holes must line up vertically to insure the coil is properly posistioned.