Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Window Rattle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 RA and 2010 Lancer SE have the rattle, but my 08 X (which I traded the RA for) doesn't. I have seen the procedure to fix the problem done before, loctite on one of the bolts fixes the problem, as stated above. Think I could remember which bolt it was? Not a chance.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone knows the bolt, please take a pic and post it up. My driver's side window also rattles when it's open 1-2"
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well I took the door panel apart tighten all the bolts (on the door panel itself, some were very loose), but on the door itself I couldn't find any bolts that were loose. I started by taking one thing off at a time and driving around, trying to put my hand on everything possible. I even went as far as taking the mirror off and couldn't locate the source of this rattle. Tomorrow I will try again. This is driving me nuts! If I find what it is I will post pics.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:13 PM

Talked to the tech that fixed my window rattle. He said that if you click the window button down and it makes a click...a screw has backed out and need to be re tightened. The screw(s) are located on the window control power buttons, either on the drivers side or passenger. He just put loctite so it won't back out. So you need to pull the door panel off and I'm sure you'll see the screw that has backed out. Hope this helps
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evox_4x4
Talked to the tech that fixed my window rattle. He said that if you click the window button down and it makes a click...a screw has backed out and need to be re tightened. The screw(s) are located on the window control power buttons, either on the drivers side or passenger. He just put loctite so it won't back out. So you need to pull the door panel off and I'm sure you'll see the screw that has backed out. Hope this helps
Then that is not the source of my rattle because I was driving around without the door panels (window control buttons) and I still had a rattle. Hopefully I'll find it tomorrow.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:06 AM

I have the 2008 GSR almost 50k on it now. I have had the passenger front window rattle since day one.
Easy fix - turn up the radio or floor it so the ETS open dump is screaming or roll the window all the way up then back it down a hair.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shortyck2000
I have the 2008 GSR almost 50k on it now. I have had the passenger front window rattle since day one.
Easy fix - turn up the radio or floor it so the ETS open dump is screaming or roll the window all the way up then back it down a hair.
Sorry bud... but that is not a solution...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:56 AM

Maybe not for you or some others.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Do a search, about 3 years ago there was a TSB for this. You have to roll the window down a certain amount then pull the door panel off, there will be 2 rubber grommets that once taken off will reveal 2 bolts. All of them on my car were finger tight................
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^-- Wish I knew about that TSB when I went in.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wicked white14
Do a search, about 3 years ago there was a TSB for this. You have to roll the window down a certain amount then pull the door panel off, there will be 2 rubber grommets that once taken off will reveal 2 bolts. All of them on my car were finger tight................

Well that is funny because the dealership seems to not know about this... grrr.. I hate the dealership... Just got my front windows tinted so I can't roll them down but when I can I will hunt these bolts down. A quick google search and there it is. I sometimes feel they just don't care.

Here is a link to the recall and how to fix it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...sportback.html

Last edited by erniebu; Jan 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added link
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well this recall worked only on one door. My passenger door had one bolt loose. On my driver’s side both were on tight. I again took one thing off at a time (including the weather seals that go around the window. I couldn't find anything. The rattle is still there. I started stuffing rags in there to see if I could find the rattle and no luck. I even tried silicone spray all over the inside of the door and something still rattles. It sounds like its coming from the upper part of the door, around the where the mirror is (but I’ve ruled the mirror out since I took it off and drove around without it). This rattle is loud and annoying its seriously pissing me off. I need help!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Mine seems to be coming from the upper rear part of the seal towards the B-Pillar.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

No one has tinker with this anymore? No new updates?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Both of mine rattle too. At first I thought it was because of the mole skin installation for my tints but it seems common...

Quick Reply: Window Rattle