Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Plasti-Dip your Fog Light Rings

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Plasti-Dip your Fog Light Rings

So since i have carbon mirror covers to cover my gross chrome mirrors, and just plasti-dipped my front chrome badge. I decided to do my chrome fog light rings too.

Tape everything off, apply newspaper to your front bumper in case of over spray. To actually block off the fog light itself, I slid paper in side of the rings, the fogs don't sit on them so it was pretty easy and made it look great.

Becuase i was painting outside, I made a mini paint booth lol/. Used a towel with the hood closed on it so i wouldn't fly away or fall out, used a box to block another angle, and everything came out great.

Here's the comparison shot.

Before.

After.

Full Front end.

New front lip too

Just be patient with taping off, and be careful when removing.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

looks good!!
Old May 31, 2012, 12:01 AM

way to much prep work, Just spray it on and peel away the parts you don't want it on. I did it last week. The less prep I did less tape etc, the better it came out.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jabjab
way to much prep work, Just spray it on and peel away the parts you don't want it on. I did it last week. The less prep I did less tape etc, the better it came out.
I'm sorry i did things the way you're supposed to do them. i guess taping off areas i didn't want any paint on was so dumb -_-
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by disturbedfan121
I'm sorry i did things the way you're supposed to do them. i guess taping off areas i didn't want any paint on was so dumb -_-
lol you did well Sir, and thanks for sharing this
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:12 AM

Good job. I just plastidip my trunk emblems. You should mask off as much as possible when applying, but not too worry, if you get some on the paint just use some automotive Goo Gone with a clean cotton rag and it wipes right off.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:16 AM

looks good, nice job. May i ask what front lip is that and how is the fitment? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by margie
looks good, nice job. May i ask what front lip is that and how is the fitment? Thanks in advance!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...lip-cheap.html

I got the lip from this guy, its a knockoff ralliart in CF. Fitment isn't actually to bad, I added an extra screw to pull the ends in. for the $150 i spent its great lol
Old Jun 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that Jabjab is right. I too was worried about the overspray, but it comes right off. I actually found that masking off makes more work. This is what is amazing with Plastidip. I did my 4 GSR wheels and the overspray came right off. I don't think he meant to offend you.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:46 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...lip-cheap.html

I got the lip from this guy, its a knockoff ralliart in CF. Fitment isn't actually to bad, I added an extra screw to pull the ends in. for the $150 i spent its great lol
Hey I recently bought that same lip but it seems like a pain in the a$$ to install!!! I have to drill holes on the under side of my bumper and also the holes on the side don't quit line up!!! Did u have these same problems!? Can u post an install on that?? I've been searching and searching and can't find any help!!! Btw good job with the chrome rings I might b doing that too!!!
THANX!!!!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:30 PM

Wow looks alot better than I expected!! Questionnnn!!! Where did you get the drivers side fog light piece? Like on mine the mesh part is not like the passenger side its all blocked off. Id like it to be open like yours and also to show off my Candy Purple intercooler pipes
Thanks!!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

the mesh comes on all MR evo x's so just order the MR mesh and take out the gsr block panel