Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Location of for WBO2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location of for WBO2 Sensor

I've got a problem that has been dwindling in my head for some time now.

I want to rock a stock cat, not gutted, so installing a WBO2 sensor in the stock REAR O2 sensor would not be really good.

Next, drilling a hole in the downpipe or any place is kinda illegal here in my area.

So I was thinking, whether I could replace the FRONT O2 Sensor and get the new wideband to feed a additional narrowband signal to the ECU for closed loop operation.

I plan to run Zeitronix WBO2 sensor. My concerns are where the hell is the stock front O2 sensor in the X, whether the location is too close to the turbo that it's too hot, thus decreasing the lifespan of the sensor?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock front sensor is at the bottom of the downpipe just before the flange to the cat pipe. I'm not so sure there's a way to have the wideband put out a narrowband signal...I believe there are a couple that can do such a thing, but I wouldn't know any more info than that...

It's illegal to put a hole in your downpipe? It's not like you're just leaving a gaping hole, you're welding a bung in there for the sensor...the hole will be plugged...

Besides the downpipe itself, you can also put the sensor in the cat pipe, after the flange and in front of the cat.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
It's illegal to put a hole in your downpipe? It's not like you're just leaving a gaping hole, you're welding a bung in there for the sensor...the hole will be plugged...
It should be fine as long as there are no exhaust leaks.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cutting a hole and welding in an 02 bung for a wideband is not illegal in any state
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:53 PM

You should be ok to weld a bung on the stock pipe.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:56 PM

You'll be ok, You need to cut a hole for it..... it will be plugged with the WBO2
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
Cutting a hole and welding in an 02 bung for a wideband is not illegal in any state
Yeah, in the States. But I'm not in the states,

I'm in Singapore, so any exhaust system either needs to have a JASMA cert from Japan or EU certification. Any thing else has to only be like repairing it.

Here it's like by the book, literally, we cannot run high flow cats here, and you can run a decat, with a approved exhaust system or stock exhaust system and even though it fails the noise pollution and emissions testing, they'll still approve on it, based on having a EU certification or JASMA certification.... so kinda screwed for us in Singapore.

back to the question

I was wondering whether running in the stock front O2 position, and sending a narrowband reading would be fine, and my concern is whether it's safe, I don't want to suddenly have too rich or too lean mixtures happening.