Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Works underhood bushing and AMS gate selector INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

Underhood bushings + trans oil change (cocktail) + Moddiction SS anvil type knob (1lb) really helps with the shift feel. No more 2-3 gear grind.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:36 PM

I knew I should've done this when I had the intake out. I did everything on kracka's ultimate list except these two.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:53 AM

Watch out for the clip on the shifter bushing, they come off randomly sometimes.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread revive!

So I installed my Works cable bushings today along with the Torque Solutions gate selector bushing. I noticed that now when I pull the shifter out of gear, it doesn't return to the center neutral position. It'll move part way back, but it'll stay in the neutral row either between the 1/2 gear and 3/4 gear column, or 3/4 gear and 5th gear column.

Any ideas on what that's about, or is it supposed to be like that?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The gate selector bushing is most likely binding up. Did you grease it before install? I normally recommend the brass AMS gate selector bushing, but I did install a prototype delrin one from Torque Solution and it worked fine when installed with grease (I do the same with the AMS, and every other bushing that moves).
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
The gate selector bushing is most likely binding up. Did you grease it before install? I normally recommend the brass AMS gate selector bushing, but I did install a prototype delrin one from Torque Solution and it worked fine when installed with grease (I do the same with the AMS, and every other bushing that moves).
I actually greased it first and it was harder to move it around even with the nut loose. I then removed the grease and it slid in with less effort and moved more easily. I think I need to just use a really thin layer of grease. What kind do you suggest using?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I use a heavy-duty axle grease that comes in a 1 pound tub, nothing fancy, I just want something that'll hold up and not wash out.

Is your TS bushing delrin or brass?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I use a heavy-duty axle grease that comes in a 1 pound tub, nothing fancy, I just want something that'll hold up and not wash out.

Is your TS bushing delrin or brass?
Delrin
Old Nov 17, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I did this install this weekend and wow was it a pain. Probably didnt help that I was hung over.

I could not get the small shifter cable bushings out. Finally I took a drimmel to it and was able to get it free.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I did this install this weekend and wow was it a pain. Probably didnt help that I was hung over.

I could not get the small shifter cable bushings out. Finally I took a drimmel to it and was able to get it free.
Getting the rubber OEM bushing out is hard for the small bushing. You'll need flathead screw driver to pry some of it out. Then you'll need a needle nose pliers to pull the rest of it out completely. I'm not sure how you were able to get a dremel tool in that tight place.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dkorr
Getting the rubber OEM bushing out is hard for the small bushing. You'll need flathead screw driver to pry some of it out. Then you'll need a needle nose pliers to pull the rest of it out completely. I'm not sure how you were able to get a dremel tool in that tight place.
I was able to use the screwdriver and needle nose on the large bushing. But that small bushing was not willing to work with me. I tried and tried.

I had plenty of room for the dremel. And I have one of those large blue electric dremels with the adjustable speeds. I used an attachment that is meant for cutting, but it looks like a drill bit, but with a ball at the end. So I was able to approach the bushing head on. I just poked the heck out of the bushing. It was enough I guess because it popped right out after the stabbing.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I always just poke them out with my thumb...I pretend it's a **** star's butt and shove hard
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Awesome write up. Going to do this soon!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:49 PM

Question: That black plastic washer for the AMS Gate Selector; which direction did you install it? If I have the "smaller" diameter going in first it still leaves a gap between it and the metal washer. If I do it the other way, "larger" diameter first, then I get the problem of the gear not returning back all the way to middle neutral.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by xFonts
Question: That black plastic washer for the AMS Gate Selector; which direction did you install it? If I have the "smaller" diameter going in first it still leaves a gap between it and the metal washer. If I do it the other way, "larger" diameter first, then I get the problem of the gear not returning back all the way to middle neutral.
If I understand you correctly that black washer should face the same direction as the blue (OEM) washer. There shouldn't be any gap/play. Did you use a rubber mallet and vice to tap it in tighter?

Last edited by dkorr; Dec 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Works underhood bushing and AMS gate selector INSTALL