Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Works underhood bushing and AMS gate selector INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works underhood bushing and AMS gate selector INSTALL

Parts Required:
-WORKS Hybrid Shifter Cable Bushings
-AMS EVO X 5 Speed Gate Selector Bushing Kit
-Lithium grease

Tools Required:
10 and 12mm socket (3/8"), 18" socket extension (3/8"), universal joint (3/8"), flathead and Philips screwdriver, vice, rubber mallet

Recommended Number of People: 1

Difficulty: 2.5

Time to complete: 1.5 hrs for a noob like me; 45 min if experience

-------------------------------------------------

Remove OEM airbox assembly

(1) when removing induction hood make sure not to strip the clip's plastic threads
(2) remove bolt
(3) disconnect MAF and wire harness clips (use needle nose pliers)
(4) loosen clamp with Philips screwdriver

-Remove the airbox assembly by pulling up (to release the bottom from the metal posts)
-Its easier to remove the assembly in three stages (green) air filter, (blue) front housing, (orange) rear housing and decouple from intake tube

- As a precaution you can cover up the intake tube to prevent loose parts from falling in.

Disconnect 'small' cable bushing

- release the 'rabbit ear' retainer clip facing the firewall (you'll have to do it by touch) [photo from another source]

- disconnect the cable and bushing from the gate selector rocker arm
- to remove the OEM rubber bushing (along with plastic cap) use a flathead screwdriver to pry out a small gap, then remove the rest with you bare hands. Do not damage the black plastic cap as it'll be reused later on.
-Some say to use silicon lube to release the rubber but that just makes everything harder to grip.

Disconnect the the 'larger bushing'

-release the cotter pin and washer. The rubber bushing comes out in a similar fashion as the smaller one.
- once this is done move onto next step of removing the gate selector.

Gate Selector removal

- remove the two bolts (12mm I think) with a socket extension with a wobble/universal joint attached
- be careful not to bend the shifter cables too much
- when you take out the assembly be careful not to drop the white plastic piece into the transmission. It just slides onto a post via friction fit.

- disassemble rocker arm (note: some parts will be reused)

- press in the new AMS bushing (using rubber mallet) and add Lithium grease to the moving parts

- assembled part should look like this. Add some Lithium grease to the top, bottom, and concave surface of plastic piece.

- (optional) for safe measure I added a temporary piece of duct tape to make sure I don't drop the plastic piece as I'm putting back onto the transmission. Once installed and secured you can remove the tape.

Installing the Works 'small' bushing

(1) put the bushing (bump side) onto the gate selector post and shifter ring
(2) put the bushing (firewall side) to create the 'sandwich'
(3) insert the metal sleeve
(4) insert the OEM plastic cap
(5) re-engage the 'rabbit ear' retainer clip

- at first I added some Lithium grease on the bushings but that kept popping out so I did it without. I heard these urethane bushings are self lubricating anyways.

- make sure the retainer clip is properly engaged. It should snap into the groove on the gate selector's post.

Installing the Works 'large' bushing

- the order is bushing, bushing, metal sleeve, washer, and then cotter pin.

- install completed; tighten up everything and have fun

Last edited by dkorr; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up man!! have been debating getting this stuff for a while...hows the feel before/after? What seem to be the big changes from your experience?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ogrenator
Great write up man!! have been debating getting this stuff for a while...hows the feel before/after? What seem to be the big changes from your experience?
So I was asking people the same question before doing it myself and here's my answer:

The shift feel is more Honda manual transmission-like. Reminded me of my old Integras and Civics. The notchiness is still there when cold but not as bad IMHO. I think changing trans fluid will help.

This install is not hard by any mans but it's a PITA to access. I had to do everything with my left hand (i.e. squeezing out the bushings).

Some people ask if it's worth the trouble... I'd say YES simply because you'll know how to improve shifter feel for all subsequent MT cars you'll own.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well...I haven't changed the trans fluid yet...but I did get the works shifter and have a very heavy knob...there is virtually no notchiness anymore except when its like 20 degrees out lol The notchiness kicked in at like 3k and I installed both the knob and shifter at like 6k...im at 17 and its going strong still...just on the fence about getting these
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
great write up. i havent done this, although i have done the cocktail mix. i have to say that i liked the OEM fluid better.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you're happy! The "Kracka Shifter Package" is easily the one mod I couldn't do without on my car!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:15 PM

Just put on the short shifter and console bushings. These are next. Good write up
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:04 AM

I highly recommend changing out the trans fluid to the Redline cocktail (2L MTL and 1L MT-90). Made a world of difference for me.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rkelley
I highly recommend changing out the trans fluid to the Redline cocktail (2L MTL and 1L MT-90). Made a world of difference for me.
that's what i heard all the time...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Great Write up
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ikaika14
Just put on the short shifter and console bushings. These are next. Good write up
that's my next mod...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkorr
that's my next mod...

I would recommend using a cutting tool for the clips.. 60% of my install was basically using a flat head trying to get them off. overall great so far.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:36 PM

Any advice on the easiest way to get these bushings out? Maybe I should hit the gym.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ikaika14
Any advice on the easiest way to get these bushings out? Maybe I should hit the gym.
Use a flathead screwdriver to pry a small gap between the metal ring and oem rubber bushing, then you'll have to use finger strength to slowly separate them. Take your time.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

I also installed AMS under the hood bushing and AMS 5 speed gate selector. it took my shop speedcircuit 1 hour labor including test drive after the install. The side to side shift play when in a gear is still roughly the same but the shifting is abit more mechanical and does get into a gear faster ! so yes its worth it DO IT. 2 weeks later , I also got Clutch delay pill remove ... great combo for shifting !

Quick Reply: Works underhood bushing and AMS gate selector INSTALL