Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Replacing HID bulbs - WITHOUT removing bumper.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing HID bulbs - WITHOUT removing bumper.

So i attempted to change my HID bulbs last weekend, thought i'd give it a go without removing the front bumper. Managed to do it after some frustration.
Thought i'd put up some pics and some tips/steps here.

1. Pop your bonnet. Duh.

2. You need to remove your relay box and coolant reservoir so you can access the 'twist caps'

3. Starting with either side, remove the twist cap.

4. Now the tricky part, after the twist cap is removed this is exposed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzglyqdtue...2014.15.15.jpg
You need to put your hand in there and if your body is facing in the same direction as the headlights you need to twist the 'silver thing' anticlockwise.

5. The even tricker part, once that's been twisted you need to unclip the whole housing. This picture will explain:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuxz06bgc6...2015.53.09.jpg
The 'silver thing' has been removed here to show the clips and how they clip in. This is in the same orientation as before, body facing the same way as headlights face. This took me almost 30-45min to figure out on one side, once i figured it out literally took me 1min to do on the other side.

6. Replace the HID bulb with the 'plastic notches facing up, make sure its plugged in and twisted into place.

7. Putting back is even trickier than taking it out as you have to hold in the whole contraption and clip at the same time. I suggest just using a couple of fingers to hold into the place the contraption and clip it into place with another finger. Do one clip at a time. Note i made sure that the silver thing was in the same orientation as i took it out ie. twisted anticlockwise, then once the clips were in i twisted it back straight.

8. Repeat on the other side.
Hopefully that helps you! I have big hands so anyone should be able to do this
Old Feb 18, 2015, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by occxlr8ed
5. The even tricker part, once that's been twisted you need to unclip the whole housing. This picture will explain:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuxz06bgc6...2015.53.09.jpg
The 'silver thing' has been removed here to show the clips and how they clip in. This is in the same orientation as before, body facing the same way as headlights face. This took me almost 30-45min to figure out on one side, once i figured it out literally took me 1min to do on the other side.

i am little confused what to do at this point, am i supposed to push these silver tabs or what?

let me know thanks!