Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

EVO X GSR Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO X GSR Maintenance Questions

Hello everyone! The time has come for me to get the EVO nice and cleaned up for my next HDPE event! I've been to Willow 3 (Four if you count twice the normal runs on the same day) times, and in that time have demolished the stock tires, and destroyed the brake pads.

Also, since the car is only at 4.5k miles, the engine got some serious "breaking in" and needs an oil change.

Oh yeah, and the brake lines need to be flushed, because... I don't like vapor lock.

So, my questions are...

1. What are good High Performance pads which fit STOCK evo X GSR Brembos? (Front and Back please)
2. I would like to get the brakes flushed. Can any mechanic do it? Or is there a specific place that I should be going to get them done? (Because, you know, they're Brembo Brakes) Not somewhere like BrakeMasters where some 18 year old haphazardly flushes the brakes and then I get brake failure on the track.

I've got the oil-change and tires already figured out, so I'm good for those. And, sorry for the beginner questions, it's my first time maintaining a "high-performance" vehicle.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...rake-pads.html

Flushing the brakes is easy, consider doing it yourself while you're changing the brake pads.
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html
This write-up is done on an Evo VIII, but the procedure is the exact same for the IX and X.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:31 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by Kracka
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...rake-pads.html

Flushing the brakes is easy, consider doing it yourself while you're changing the brake pads.
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html
This write-up is done on an Evo VIII, but the procedure is the exact same for the IX and X.

Thanks for the info! Do those Girodisc pads fit stock evo gsr brakes? You said you changed your brakes in the post you linked, so I want to make sure they still fit stock brakes.

Also, how are they in terms of performance for track?

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you have tracked your car 3x and haven't changed the oil?

flush the brake fluid for sure, go with a good dot4 fluid. motul rbf600 or ate typ 200 (since ate super blue is no longer available) are both considered good track fluids.

Last edited by momostallion; Aug 30, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyFirstCarEvo
Thanks for the info! Do those Girodisc pads fit stock evo gsr brakes? You said you changed your brakes in the post you linked, so I want to make sure they still fit stock brakes.
They are a direct-fit for the stock calipers and rotors. I still have OEM Mitsu/Brembo calipers and rotors on my car.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by momostallion
you have tracked your car 3x and haven't changed the oil?

flush the brake fluid for sure, go with a good dot4 fluid. motul rbf600 or ate typ 200 (since ate super blue is no longer available) are both considered good track fluids.
Yep! Haven't changed the oil, I know

But I will seriously look into the Orange series pads if the report for my current pads comes back bad. And I will definitely flush the lines.

I'll purchase the good race braking fluids and have mechanic replace my current fluids with it.

@Kracka, thanks for the great tip on pads! They seem more affordable and they seem to have great ratings!

Last edited by MyFirstCarEvo; Aug 30, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Mis-Informed
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

ATE Super Blue or ATE Type 200 are my main recommended fluids. If those aren't available, I go with Amsoil DOT4.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyFirstCarEvo
Yep! Haven't changed the oil, I know
i would avoid repeating that mistake again.

also, depending on how much you are actually going to track the car, consider buying a separate set of track pads (and possibly a 2nd set of wheels and tires too).

... but it sounds like you aren't going to do the work yourself so that makes it annoying to take it somewhere every time you want to swap pads.