Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo X Vortex Generator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive got a simple question derek, is there an evo x close to be able to check fitment before shipping? i mean wouldnt that in essence pretty much rectify the issue of people not having a perfect or dead on fitment. and one other, why did you guys decide not to have the fins angled like the VG's come from the factory? just questions that i would like to have answers to before i make my mind up. im already 80% there just because of how flawless everything else that you guys make is so i guess i just need to be nudged. thanks again
Old Nov 9, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Looks pretty sweet, but how functional is it really.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boostzealot
ive got a simple question derek, is there an evo x close to be able to check fitment before shipping? i mean wouldnt that in essence pretty much rectify the issue of people not having a perfect or dead on fitment. and one other, why did you guys decide not to have the fins angled like the VG's come from the factory? just questions that i would like to have answers to before i make my mind up. im already 80% there just because of how flawless everything else that you guys make is so i guess i just need to be nudged. thanks again
We have Evo X roof with us and we do check every single VG before it ships. All VGs fit perfect when we pushed down on it. My guess is the tape isnt holding it down enough or adhesive is not place correctly at critical areas for the gap to minimize. Do not put adhesives where the 2 bumps are on the VG. Customers can try and push down on the VG first to see how well it fits before applying the adhesives. We will try and apply adhesives on the VG first before we ship them out so its easier for customers to install VG. We dont want to send out a VG that isnt perfect and end up sending a new reaplacement so we are definately testing each VG fitment first. We only get about 5-10 VG's per week so spending the time to test them isnt a problem.

You have picture of VG fin from factory?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited by Rexpeed; Nov 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Antarius
My passenger side fitment is 100% perfect, but the driver side definitely leaves something to be desired, Rather than taking it off and using a dremel though to fix it (the problem is, the driver side doesn't reach far enough, like it was made about 2mm too short (making both the bump off and the side not stretch over the roof great, I'm thinking of something along the lines of a silicon caulk or something to fill in the slight gap.

Anyways, other than that, I'm 99% happy with my purchase, it still looks great other than the slight gap issue, which shouldn't be too hard to fix.

And because this post would be worthless without pics : enjoy.
mine fits about the same as yours.

it's not whether or not you have tape along the bumps of the roof, derek. that's not the problem. the foam tape can be squeezed to as thin as a piece of paper, so thickness affecting fitment is not a concern. what IS a concern is that it seems like the edge isn't far enough to reach all the way down. where one side would fit perfectly, the other side is just 1mm short of perfect fitment. so instead, because the edge cannot reach all the way down, the vg leaves a small gap at the area where it cannot reach all the way.

i think it would be wiser to make it a bit wider than the roof, at least along the edges. or just forget about wrapping around the edge and have the vg overlay the roof from the top. my gap is small enough so that i can overlook that bit, but for others and those looking for more, they may sulk over it. and you have to remember, while your crew may be able to push down directly on it, we the car owners cannot. also, pushing down on it too hard will possibly cause damage to the paint, as your previous shipment of gurney flap to me demonstrated. the parts are supposed to "slip-on" not "snap-on." just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Nov 10, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:53 PM

Exactly,

When I pushed down on either side when I tried to test-fit it before putting it on, putting weight on it was able to make the driver side bend and conform to the car's shape, but that method only worked when the passenger side wasn't also down into the groove between the roof and the side-panels, when I had my roomate come out and look at it for me, we weren't able to get both sides to push down flush at the same time..... even before adding the tape.

1 side at a time wasn't a problem, 2 at once was the problem.

But yea, like I said, it isn't a "huge" deal for me, I'll just fill the gap with something. It's only noticable close up, like in the pictures I took. As you can see from the pictures I took, the passenger side is as tight against the car laterally as possible, there is no tape or anything on the side pushing the VG away from the car.

And yea, I ended up removing any and all tape from the driver's side, just because it wasn't doing anything to hold it down. It needs just about 100 lbs sitting on top to make it conform. So I'll just try resting a couple cinder blocks on top when I try a different adhesive.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
Former Sponsor

be careful using blocks try to see if masking tape or duck tape holds it down it should work.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:59 PM

heh, well with a towel or something down underneath so that it doesn't scratch... but yea, waaay too much upwards pressure to not have some kind of weight while whatever I decide to use is curing...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Antarius
heh, well with a towel or something down underneath so that it doesn't scratch... but yea, waaay too much upwards pressure to not have some kind of weight while whatever I decide to use is curing...
you know what i figured? i took the vg out and try to remount it and adjust (and replace the white foam tape with 3m gray foam tape because it stands out so damn bad!). while i was doing that, i thought about how derek was saying that his crew was "pushing down" on the vg...so i tried to bend it slightly from the middle. it does give a bit more room, and the fitment gets a little better. but more importantly, if you give just a bit of edge from the side that fits perfectly (say, goes from perfect to very good fit on one side), it will give just enough play on the other side to minimize the gap. it's still there, but afterwards will be even less noticeable. should try that out instead of caulking it...

i'll get some pics of fitment on mine in the day so you can compare.

by the way, looks like you got the sss vg although you have a non-sss antenna base?

Last edited by EndlessRed; Nov 11, 2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:47 AM
Former Sponsor

MAke sure not to put tape on the ridge area aka the 2 humps
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rexpeed
NOT put tape there? Dang, that must be why my driver's side did not stay down... I ended up squeezing more tape in there to fill the gap after I put the VG on. At least it's only visible from the angle most normal people won't look.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

ordered it, just waiting for shipment
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rexpeed
Originally Posted by Breakaway
NOT put tape there? Dang, that must be why my driver's side did not stay down... I ended up squeezing more tape in there to fill the gap after I put the VG on. At least it's only visible from the angle most normal people won't look.
i dunno about that derek. i tried test fitting without the foam tape on AT ALL as well. fitment was the same, no changes. i just put it there for the sake of securing the vg. i already reapplied it so i won't be taking it off unless it's for something really important.

those that haven't put it on yet should try though, just to see the difference, if any.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Nov 11, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:00 PM

is it in stock yet? ive sent an email earlier... SSS CF VG
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

here are my pics of the vg and fitment:

fitment isn't the best, but i think i can live with it. either this or the seriously priced OEM FQ vg...

Last edited by EndlessRed; Nov 11, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:43 PM

I do like how yours is evenly mismatched on both sides, vs mine which is perfect and snug on one side and much much more off on the other.

But yea, pretty much perfectly shows how neither of the bumps reach the actual ridges on the roof, like they're about 2mm short on each side.

I'm hesitant to rip it off now at this point, since it is pretty well secured on 75% of it.

Quick Reply: Evo X Vortex Generator