Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo X Vortex Generator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APR

Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by arbo651
APR

ok. so you put VGs on a car without a wing.. you DO understand WHY the VGs were designed in the first place... it was to keep airflow attached to the rear window longer, as to speed up air underneath a wing to create more downforce.

by removing the wing and adding VGs.. you now subsequently kept the air flow attached to the car longer.. for... no reason other that to induce more rear lift..
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arbo651
APR

So fast its creating a vortex hole on your license plate!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chebosto
ok. so you put VGs on a car without a wing.. you DO understand WHY the VGs were designed in the first place... it was to keep airflow attached to the rear window longer, as to speed up air underneath a wing to create more downforce.

by removing the wing and adding VGs.. you now subsequently kept the air flow attached to the car longer.. for... no reason other that to induce more rear lift..
my understanding is the vg reduces turbulence at the back of the car which still helps your car's aerodynamics with or without a wing. yes, the effect is maximized with the wing but even without it, it still smooths airflow giving the car "some" downforce, although the original intent of the vg (to be used with a wing) is now minimized without the wing. but the point is, it still functions and provides some benefit just not to its full potential without the wing.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

looks nice, but thats a lot of money for a vortex generator

oh, didn't realize this thread had already moved on...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Cool video on VGs:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8LWkqjdX4

VGs are purposeful without a wing. And wings are functional without VGs. The two can be combined to augment the efficacy of the wing, but alone the VG and rear spoiler are still functional.

Originally Posted by jackygor
So fast its creating a vortex hole on your license plate!
Nice.

Originally Posted by bouncintiga
my understanding is the vg reduces turbulence at the back of the car which still helps your car's aerodynamics with or without a wing. yes, the effect is maximized with the wing but even without it, it still smooths airflow giving the car "some" downforce, although the original intent of the vg (to be used with a wing) is now minimized without the wing. but the point is, it still functions and provides some benefit just not to its full potential without the wing.
VGs don't reduce turbulence. They help prevent flow separation behind the vehicle thereby reducing drag.

More here: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf

And here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

The wing on the Evo X has been designed to both prevent flow separation and reduce lift (NOT increase downforce--a bit of nuance.)

More here (p.38):http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...f/2008/20e.pdf
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:41 AM

the article is for evo 9, but would it apply to evo x?
Wouldn't it be appropriate to do aerodynamic test for it to be effective?

Last edited by evosoh; Mar 18, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:46 AM

not a chance for that price
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosoh
the article is for evo 9, but would it apply to evo x?
The article gives an overview of how VGs work. The quantitative effects of adding a VG will differ between applications (e.g. Evo 9, 10, or Corolla ), but the principles are the same.

Wouldn't it be appropriate to do aerodynamic test for it to be effective?
Yes, absolutely. And if you look at that 'Cool video' from my post, it looks like there might be an easy way to qualify whether or not adding a VG yields some noticeable results.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

ok. so think about a regular car shape... big hump for roof and a tapering rear window to the trunk. most sedan designs have an inherent rear lift due to airflow going over the rear of the car...this airflow over the rear, the longer it is attached, will cause a lower pressure zone and lift the rear of the car due to high speeds...

to prevent this rear lift, many designers try to "spoil" the airflow causing the air to separate sooner, reducing this lifting affect.

VGs delay flow separation. Thus keeping the flow attached longer... reason why you want VGs with a high rear wing, is because with the flow attached longer, there will be more airflow underneath a wing to make the wing more effective in providing more downforce.

take away the wing, and what do you have? you have a condition where flow will stay attached longer, causing more lift than a car w/o it.

VGs will only reduce drag at higher lift coefficients.. but at lower lift coefficients, the VGs actually increase drag.. you just need to find the correct size of VG to reduce the drag... but in a wingless configuration, if a VG induces rear lift due to reduction in flow separation, what's the point? you want the car stable at high speeds not loose.

sigh.. looks like i'll have to rely on my own string / flow tests to prove this one..
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

LOL because I am worried about this only when it takes effect at about 140mph. Give me a break haha. I am gonna run slower quarter mile times because i took my wing off... geez better put it back on huh I put it on there for the sole purpose of looks. Not because I am going for the new land speed record. But anyways thanks for your concern.

Last edited by arbo651; Mar 18, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:38 AM

Chargespeed one looks ALOT better then the APR.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

While were on the topic of aerodynamics... My X came with the smaller wing/spoiler, anybody know just how "effective" it is or if it is at all? I want the SSS spoiler, but can't justify spending $400+ on it.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:03 PM

that looks great!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

i feel like its too expensive, but it looks sexy.
i just dont have the money right now..

Quick Reply: Evo X Vortex Generator