Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Interior light idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior light idea?

Ok, so I was browsing through the forum, and came across a thread about an LED trunk light and thought "would that look good in another color?" I decided it would, and thought about all of the car's interior lights in another color.

My evo x is phantom black. I was thinking of maybe red to give it a devilish glow, or blue for a basic colored look. First off, is it street legal to have red or blue lights inside your car (because of police lights and such), and secondly, is it cheesy? If either is yes, I was just going to do a trunk light, for functionality.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wouldn't be illegal for your dome lights in your car to be any certain color, but it would make it hard to see anything in the car at night. I would stick with a bright white, but that's just me.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:47 PM

Man it all really comes down to what you wanna do!! I really dont see an issue with the dome light and stuff like that being whichever color you want, cops shouldnt trip as long as ur not driving with it on!! I believe there are laws against red and blue lighting well at least where i come from (Chicago)... (dafarmer) I believe is the guy to talk to about LED's and such!! He's probably the guy you saw with the trunk light post!! Talk to him maybe he will be able to help you out more!! but in the end its about what you want!! its ur car, your car note, and your the one who has to get in it everyday!! feel me!?!? Good Luck man!!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I was worried about the illegality of it because I'm pretty sure (no cop has been able to give me a straight answer) that red/blue underbody lights are illegal.

Hmm.. I didn't think about it being hard to see stuff at night inside the car..

But anyway, does anyone know exactly how many lights I'd have to switch out (interior and trunk)? I'm not going to have my car for at least 4 months =/
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Red and blue exterior lights are illegal, yes, but the dome light only comes on when you open the doors or when you reach up and physically switch them on. Having colored dome lights is not illegal.

Now if you were to get some red or blue LED or neon tubes and put them all over the interior of your car and drive around with them on, that would probably be illegal.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Now if you were to get some red or blue LED or neon tubes and put them all over the interior of your car and drive around with them on, that would probably be illegal.
That would also depend on where they are, if you place them over the pedals, under the seats or beneath the console they won't be visible from the outside. I think rule of thumb (and in many places the law) is that if you have ANY sort of funky lightning setups you should just keep it offroad. I was considering a red EL wire lightning setup beneath the dash trim like in the Evo X concept, things like that would be perfectly fine.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it's not going to be anything weird. Just replacing the interior lights (doors, overhead, that one near the rear view mirror, glovebox) with (after some consideration) red LEDs. And now that you mention it, under the seats and under the dash sounds pretty cool.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thun712
That would also depend on where they are, if you place them over the pedals, under the seats or beneath the console they won't be visible from the outside. I think rule of thumb (and in many places the law) is that if you have ANY sort of funky lightning setups you should just keep it offroad. I was considering a red EL wire lightning setup beneath the dash trim like in the Evo X concept, things like that would be perfectly fine.
Yeah that's kinda what I meant, I just didn't say it. Any of that lighting that's visible, or leaves the bulb visible, from outside the car would be a problem.

Basically, something like this would not be legal

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Apr 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM.