Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Matte/Flat black vinyl Evo X!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009 | 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Oh wow. I was overwhelmed seeing so many bad **** evos already and didn't bother to go by the in and out truck. I guess I missed out. Lookin good with those rims man!
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

cy08x - 120ft is enough (with maybe 5 feet left over).... would be like $675 for the material + whatever we could find for a shop to install. you could do some of it yourself, but its not easy, and id suggest that you get twice the material if you were gonna try it.

Peterr928 and WickedWhtMR - thank you

daskid - yeah, it was a good turn out. i like the rims cause no one has them and everyone seems to want to buy them. i got some te37s on order, so soon ill look like everyone else
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty cool idea.. but i think the 7-8 years is the actual shelf life of the adhesive for the vinyl itself, after that the vinyl starts to become brittle and loses its flex and stickiness.

also along with it being a vinyl sticker- direct sunlight from UV rays will eventually cause the color to fade, unless you bought the vinyl sticker that has built in UV coating when it was processed..

i like the idea. i hope you keep to your 2 year plan, cuz that's how long i would think it would last as far as color steadfastness...

when you remove it from the body, besure to use goo gone cuz it's gonna be alot of adhesive residue!!
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

chesbosto - this isnt just regular sticker vinyl, its made for car applications...
why would i keep it on for 7-8 years? thats kinda the point to it, its temp. i dont even plan to have the car that long...
3m is uv coated, so theres no worry of fading.
controltac graphics film will leave little to no adhesive residue when removed, and as long as its taken off in like 78+ temp it will pull off in one piece. so far since ive taken off/redone little pieces ect that have been in the california sun for 2-3 months, ive had no issues yet.
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 01:58 PM

clean car very unique
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Good job.
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

masdas87 and MrMeaner - thank you both
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

i always wanted to paint my 8 flat black, but i'm seriously thinking of commiting to this, alot less permanent. I love it!!
Old Jul 15, 2009 | 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

evofool - thats what did it for me too. when im done with it, i have nothing to worry about
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 02:10 PM

Very cool idea, I remember seeing some cars at SEMA wrappd. I love the look but I'm worried about rock chips and such.

Great work !
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Better the vinyl than the paint......
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

BlackCFEvoX - as olaboy808 pointed out, those things are inevitable... only difference is i can peal off and reapply a new piece. i have a few "chips" here and there on the front, as ive driven the car close to 6000 miles at this point... but nothint that stands out or is worth replacing currently. im sure eventually something will, but so far so good.
also, if i really wanted to, i could have done a clear bra on the front just like it were paint if i really wanted to. if i were go have gone with a gloss i could have also done a laminate and be free of issues
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tokeone
BlackCFEvoX - as olaboy808 pointed out, those things are inevitable... only difference is i can peal off and reapply a new piece. i have a few "chips" here and there on the front, as ive driven the car close to 6000 miles at this point... but nothint that stands out or is worth replacing currently. im sure eventually something will, but so far so good.
also, if i really wanted to, i could have done a clear bra on the front just like it were paint if i really wanted to. if i were go have gone with a gloss i could have also done a laminate and be free of issues

Ah yes, I didn't think about the clear bra. This is something I'm going to have to research more, seems like a very cool idea.
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tokeone
The clear bra installer told me that you could apply the clear bra first, then wrap it with the vinyl of your liking.
Old Jul 16, 2009 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

daskid - this is true, as thats how that little part on the rear doors from the factory is on my car. but that would just protect the paint as intended. it wouldnt prevent the vinyl itself being damaged and being able to see the original color underneath.

im kinda lucky since its graphite grey under. so when things rip or whatever it has to be kinda big to notice. if my car were red blue or white, things would stick out a lot more or damaged.

Quick Reply: My Matte/Flat black vinyl Evo X!!!