Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EvoX CF Roof Overlay ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by industry
yeah, you're only flossin' on slauson with that. you should instead look into is the AMS carbon roof.

AMS roof is $1200+ not to mention the insane ammount of install cost. I got a response from Mastergrade and the cost is half that of the AMS piece. I don't track or race my car, so I see no problem adding a few ounces to the top of my car if it will give it the finished carbon fiber look.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I'll get pictures up once I get it installed.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImEv0
it looks great and it does serve a purpose.
Not a functional one. It's tacky.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackCFEvoX
AMS roof is $1200+ not to mention the insane ammount of install cost.
That's because up until now Carbon Fiber roofs have been used for serious purpose built cars (with the exception of some BMW's, but those are still functional). Just like huge wings do great things on purpose built cars. Huge wings and fake carbon fiber roofs (and canards, stickers, among other things) on street cars just drive the value of the line down and make the owners look ignorant.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by olmoscd
That's because up until now Carbon Fiber roofs have been used for serious purpose built cars (with the exception of some BMW's, but those are still functional). Just like huge wings do great things on purpose built cars. Huge wings and fake carbon fiber roofs (and canards, stickers, among other things) on street cars just drive the value of the line down and make the owners look ignorant.
I think it's all about opinions. I for one see this as a great alternative t spending $2500 to finish off my carbon fiber roof. In my opinion, not everything must be functional in order for me to justify putting it on my car. I'm not trying to create the world lightest or fastst Evo, so why do I care if I add a few pounds. Not to mention the Mastergrade roof is removeable, so if I decide to sell my car I can just take it off.

Here's how I look at it:
Mastergrade roof- $600 adds maybe 1-2lbs at most.
AMS roof- $2500+ (with install) saves 16lbs.

I understand what you guys are saying about the AMS roof, but I also think this is a great alternative for those who would rather buy a gym membership then drop $2500 to lose 16lbs of weight.

Last edited by BlackCFEvoX; Jul 17, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

that's because up until now carbon fiber roofs have been used for serious purpose built cars (with the exception of some bmw's, but those are still functional). Just like huge wings do great things on purpose built cars. Huge wings and fake carbon fiber roofs (and canards, stickers, among other things) on street cars just drive the value of the line down and make the owners look ignorant.
+1
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Won't work with SSS package. Oh well.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

If you MUST get the CF look, just get the CF vinyl... save yourself about $550, and put it into your engine bay... Just a suggestion.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Olaboy808
If you MUST get the CF look, just get the CF vinyl... save yourself about $550, and put it into your engine bay... Just a suggestion.

I'm not one for vynl, this looks much better. I'll get you guys pictures and a review once I get mine.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackCFEvoX
I think it's all about opinions...

...I understand what you guys are saying about the AMS roof, but I also think this is a great alternative for those who would rather buy a gym membership then drop $2500 to lose 16lbs of weight.
It's not about opinions. "It" is about you purchasing something that you admit is purely aesthetic from a company with a bad reputation, at that. $550 is a lot for such. You could get a Sparktech Non-CDI for that. Or bigger FMIC, or hell, FIVE walbro 255's (Not that you would need so many, but I've gone through three )!

I've made my point, and you made yours (along with a horrible analogy, lol).

No hard feelings. I understand people do what they will. Post some pictures when you get it.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Looks nice, but I would think it adds more than just 1-2 lbs. Also, anyone know what condition your roof is in if you remove the CF roof?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:53 AM

It's not about opinions. "It" is about you purchasing something that you admit is purely aesthetic from a company with a bad reputation, at that. $550 is a lot for such. You could get a Sparktech Non-CDI for that. Or bigger FMIC, or hell, FIVE walbro 255's (Not that you would need so many, but I've gone through three )!

I've made my point, and you made yours (along with a horrible analogy, lol).

No hard feelings. I understand people do what they will. Post some pictures when you get it.

To each their own as they say. Thanks for sharing your opinion, I'll make sure to do a detailed review.

Originally Posted by slo4g63
Looks nice, but I would think it adds more than just 1-2 lbs. Also, anyone know what condition your roof is in if you remove the CF roof?
They are going to weigh it for me, if it is a considerable addage I probably won't get it.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

What in the holy hell is that for?!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

looks basically, its a show car.

I dont like it.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

my concerns are in line with what slo4g63 said.

when they install the overlay, they need to secure the roof completely. i don't know if it somehow interlocks with the windshield or the side gutters, but i know that last thing anyone wants when driving over the speed limit is to see the roof flinging down the road in the rearview mirrors.

also, if a complete and airtight seal is not created all the way around, there may be some problems down the line with moisture/debris getting trapped inside. although the roof is aluminum (so rust is not an issue), i would hate to think that anyone would have an unfortunate surprise when the overlay is eventually removed.

at least with vinyl, you will know no moisture will collect unless installed horribly.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by industry
my concerns are in line with what slo4g63 said.

when they install the overlay, they need to secure the roof completely. i don't know if it somehow interlocks with the windshield or the side gutters, but i know that last thing anyone wants when driving over the speed limit is to see the roof flinging down the road in the rearview mirrors.

also, if a complete and airtight seal is not created all the way around, there may be some problems down the line with moisture/debris getting trapped inside. although the roof is aluminum (so rust is not an issue), i would hate to think that anyone would have an unfortunate surprise when the overlay is eventually removed.

at least with vinyl, you will know no moisture will collect unless installed horribly.

The have had roof caps for the G35 and 350z without any problems. However, I do see what you mean. I will probably use extra adhesive when installing mine. I'm more worried about thieves then it flying off the car.

Quick Reply: EvoX CF Roof Overlay ?