Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

3 types of side skirts offered by Mitsu

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 types of side skirts offered by Mitsu

After surfing this forum and meeting up with various members, I have found that Mitsubishi has made 3 types of side skirts for the Evo X.

Type 1 (found on the 2008 models)

Type 2 (found on the 2010 models)

Type 3 (available as an "aero kit" option)

Last edited by cpunlamd; Feb 17, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

If you take a careful look over the pics posted above, the difference is subtle between types 1 and 2. And little difference when you compare types 2 and 3. It basically gets bigger and flared from the top to the bottom pic. Personally, I opted to get the 2010 SSS (non aero) package because of the problems I have read of the side skirts falling off. In fact, the dealer has a seperate part number for a "repair kit" specifically for the aero kit side skirts (type 3). Apparently they tend to fall of frequently since they are easily stepped on.

Can anyone chime in? I bought the front/rear aero kit parts, but Im leaning toward keeping the stock 2010 side skirts (type 2). The 2010 side skirts dont fall off and seem pretty similar to how the side aero kit looks anyway..

Last edited by cpunlamd; Feb 17, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

no problem with my aero kit in a year. just dont step on them..
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
After surfing this forum and meeting up with various members, I have found that Mitsubishi has made 3 types of side skirts for the Evo X.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
Haha nice! I still like the '08 "Type 1" sideskirts the best...their simple design helps accentuate some really nice wide wheels.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Alexander: youre a tool (bet you know that already)

Im still between getting the side aero. I already have the front and rear which matches the 2010 sides well. IMO its pretty difficult not to step on the 2010 sides as it is. The aero sides stick out under the passenger doors (thats the difference when compared to the 2010 sides). You can be careful all you want. All it takes is the rear passenger to step on it one time and the plastic clips that hold it on are history. The repair kit from Mitsu is a tube of adhesive to fix the aero side skirts once they are hanging from a broken clip.

So Im going to put off spending the $800 on a aero sides for now. Its kinda a lot of cash to spend on something that is most likely going to break. I gotta think it through..

Last edited by cpunlamd; Feb 17, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpunlamd
Alexander: youre a tool (bet you know that already)
He was just pointing out something that has been discussed to death here already and the fact that you made a new thread about it is all.

You seem to already have your mind set on not getting the aero side skirts anyways...? But I guess I'll give a little insight. If you do get aero side skirts, you can sell your 2010 side skirts to somebody with the 2008 non-aero, or "type 1" as you so-called it.

If you're that worried about somebody stepping on the aero kit skirts I don't even know why you're asking for input, I have the aero side skirts and haven't had a problem yet, but at the same time not only do I trust my friends to not be idiots, I also don't have fatties, elderly or little kids hopping in, and from what I hear those tend to be the side-skirt steppers.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Here you go:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...2008-mr-2.html

Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
He was just pointing out something that has been discussed to death here already and the fact that you made a new thread about it is all.

You seem to already have your mind set on not getting the aero side skirts anyways...? But I guess I'll give a little insight. If you do get aero side skirts, you can sell your 2010 side skirts to somebody with the 2008 non-aero, or "type 1" as you so-called it.

If you're that worried about somebody stepping on the aero kit skirts I don't even know why you're asking for input, I have the aero side skirts and haven't had a problem yet, but at the same time not only do I trust my friends to not be idiots, I also don't have fatties, elderly or little kids hopping in, and from what I hear those tend to be the side-skirt steppers.
+1. I have the aero kit and i had the dealership take off and re-apply my passenger side skirt to line up the rear better. I dont think its a big deal stepping over the aero skirts. None of my friends nor my wife have stepped on it or even hit it. OP i think you are over-thinking the situation. If you like them get them, if you dont, then dont. People arent going to step on them like they are climbing into a big rig or something....
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
+1. I have the aero kit and i had the dealership take off and re-apply my passenger side skirt to line up the rear better. I dont think its a big deal stepping over the aero skirts. None of my friends nor my wife have stepped on it or even hit it. OP i think you are over-thinking the situation. If you like them get them, if you dont, then dont. People arent going to step on them like they are climbing into a big rig or something....
Thanks for the constructive reply. I have read about them popping off, so I wanted more "actual" experience from those that had them. Im probably going to get them, so it will complete the aero kit pieces I have already purchased.

I on the hand, have elderly people and kids ride in my car (hence 4 door sedan). I'll just have to EXTRA careful.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Didnt mean to come off as sounding harsh . For me, i love the look of the aero and being careful and telling my passengers to be careful were worth it. Besides i made sure they realized that i was not joking around when i told them i will if they step on it i would cut their foot off
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Didnt mean to come off as sounding harsh . For me, i love the look of the aero and being careful and telling my passengers to be careful were worth it. Besides i made sure they realized that i was not joking around when i told them i will if they step on it i would cut their foot off
No problem. I would tell my rear passengers the same thing.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Also, there's a warning about that on the side skirts themselves... it's a little sticker that says "Don't step here, fatty."

Well those might not be the actual verbage, but that's what it's trying to say.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Part of the reason the type two skirts are standard is that they provide better protection to the rear door/wheel arch area from road debris. I'm thinking of getting them for that sole reason as in Calgary they heavily sand the roads in the winter.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

My 4 yr old knows not to step on the "red". He says it every time he hops in. lol

Quick Reply: 3 types of side skirts offered by Mitsu