Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Oil catch cans installed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also like to see close ups of the cans.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I was looking to install catch cans and wanted to see if anyone else since April has done this? Also, which brands of catch cans are being used...

Thx.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Same cans (I think same fittings too) but in different color and SLIGHTLY different mounting...
Attached Thumbnails Oil catch cans installed-xmr1.jpg   Oil catch cans installed-xmr2.jpg   Oil catch cans installed-xmr3.jpg   Oil catch cans installed-xmr4.jpg  
Old Jun 5, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

The correct way to hook up a catch can is from the pcv to the can, can to intake of turbo.

Under boost it sucks the crank pressure out, goes in to the can where its baffled and the air is separated from the oil..oil stays in can and the air then goes in to the intake.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
The correct way to hook up a catch can is from the pcv to the can, can to intake of turbo.

Under boost it sucks the crank pressure out, goes in to the can where its baffled and the air is separated from the oil..oil stays in can and the air then goes in to the intake.
AKA the way I have mine hooked up

There are ways to hook it up exactly as you said but still get it wrong. If the catch can is sideways, it's useless. If you take the vent or breather from the crank case and put it to the top of the catch can and then connect the intake side to the lower portion of the catch can, it still works but defeats the purpose of putting the outlet on top and inlet on the side.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

you have two cans? only one has a reference line to the turbo. hard to see with all that black in there, looks good however.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

you have two cans? only one has a reference line to the turbo. hard to see with all that black in there, looks good however.
Yes, correct, and correct.

There's two black cans, you can see the first one coming from the crank case (vent?) and goes into the black catch can and then into the intake manifold. This is pictures 1 and 2.

The second comes from the crank case (breather?) and goes to the black catch can sitting just to the left of my blacked out alternator terminal cover thing, then goes to the intake just before the turbo, on the underside of the pipe. This is pictures 3 and 4. You can see the tubing going around the back and to the lower nipple and then exits through the top nipple and to the intake.

I purposely put it back there to hide it, a catch can isn't really a "WOW LOOK AT THAT BLING" item to me I almost powder coated my hood rod bronze but someone with more sense than me said no, that's not something to draw attention to... similarly I don't want catch cans to stand out.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Yes, correct, and correct.

There's two black cans, you can see the first one coming from the crank case (vent?) and goes into the black catch can and then into the intake manifold. This is pictures 1 and 2.

The second comes from the crank case (breather?) and goes to the black catch can sitting just to the left of my blacked out alternator terminal cover thing, then goes to the intake just before the turbo, on the underside of the pipe. This is pictures 3 and 4. You can see the tubing going around the back and to the lower nipple and then exits through the top nipple and to the intake.

I purposely put it back there to hide it, a catch can isn't really a "WOW LOOK AT THAT BLING" item to me I almost powder coated my hood rod bronze but someone with more sense than me said no, that's not something to draw attention to... similarly I don't want catch cans to stand out.
The crank case is PCV. You will have greater effect if that can saw reference line to the turbo. IF anything that can needs a reference line as well VS the turbo pulling the vapor out of the head (valve cover). It still works but can be made to work better of course. There is always more than on way to skin a cat for sure.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

The crank case is PCV. You will have greater effect if that can saw reference line to the turbo. IF anything that can needs a reference line as well VS the turbo pulling the vapor out of the head (valve cover). It still works but can be made to work better of course. There is always more than on way to skin a cat for sure.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by needing a "reference line" as well, but it's pretty simple. The factory system has one line going to the intake manifold and one line to the turbo inlet. You install a catch can in the middle of each of these lines, that is all.

PS: I don't think it would work very well connecting both the crank case breather and crank case vent to the constant vacuum at the turbo inlet...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'll draw a diagram this weekend. Your way is a good way and functional, but there is a better way. Not bashing you by no means, Its clean and works just showing there are other ways.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankiago
Same cans (I think same fittings too) but in different color and SLIGHTLY different mounting...
Bumping this old thread...

I'm looking at catch can setups and was wondering who makes these cans? I like the mounting options, seem fairly easy to access and looks pretty sturdy.