Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Autocity Import's D-Speed Trunk Lid on Rally Red

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aftershock141
I'm noy really worried about the r&d costs; I'm just worried about proper fitment. I have the doluck on mine and the fitment is flawless. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Oh gawd, not another JDM fanboy...
Old May 2, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
Where is Bulletproof Automotive now? hahahaha

http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/...of-cz4a-trunk/
Wow...crazy story..alot I didn't know
Old May 2, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm..fitment looks pretty off, even with lo quality pictures from a distance. Like others have said trunk looks popped!

Oh well, as long as it makes you happy that's all that matters. You do indeed get what you pay for.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Haha Frank whatever. Did you even read my post? I said I didn't care about the R&D or any of that crap, just the fitment. Fitment on that other trunk is obviously lacking.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have to agree with aftershock man. doesnt make us super-fans of jdm, just proper fitting quality parts that happen to be made exclusively in japan.

the difference in fit/finish of the two products is very obviously pronounced. look closely at a real do-luck and a knockoff installed and you should have no trouble telling which is which with just a glance, it's that different. although, then again, how often do you get a chance to line up two or more x's with duckbill trunks? lol.
Old May 2, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

hehe, frank got to check out my doluck lid today. he was looking very close so he's got a prety good idea of fitment on the doluck....

i gotta say, my lid isn't "perfect". unless there's something i'm doing wrong, i can't get the right side to align properly. it's not bad but if you're looking for it you can notice the right side is slightly higher. the brackets attached to the lid are pulled out so the lid is centered, otherwise there would be a larger gap on the right side. theres not that much adjustment, and any thing i tried didn't help with the right side being higher.

but honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit, i hated the wing (sorry!haha) and i loved the csl style lid. and you really need to look for the fitment issue on my lid..
Old May 2, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

i just realized i totally thread jacked this
Old May 3, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
how often do you get a chance to line up two or more x's with duckbill trunks? lol.
Originally Posted by John83
hehe, frank got to check out my doluck lid today.

My girl gives me **** pretty often (and sometimes I deserve it, it gets a little ridiculous :P) about how I'm a perfectionist and extremely ****-retentive about some things... The JDM fanboy thing was kinda an inside joke. I wasn't able to get an in-depth inspection of Chris's real Do-Luck as I had with John's real Do-Luck.

As for the Bulletproof Automotive blog, they ask if we're willing to hurt that market so much for just a 20% discount... well the knock-offs are HALF off, meaning you can get two knock-offs for the price of 1 "authentic." They're forgetting this is free market, not to mention the trunk Do-Luck made was already a knock-off of BMW. So either you buy a Japanese-made knock-off of BMW or you buy an American-made (or is it outsourced to Mexico?) knock-off of Do-Luck.

Either way you look at it, Do-Luck is making money off of BMW's original design. Without BMW doing the R&D on duckbill trunks to begin with, Do-Luck AND Bulletproof Automotive wouldn't have earned a penny off of that design because it wouldn't have been there in the first place. Also, I'm sure those R&D costs have more than been made up for by now with the relatively high markup on this piece.

My two cents on that issue... (I've been considering getting the knock-off in FRP as a second trunk)
Old May 3, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Either way you look at it, Do-Luck is making money off of BMW's original design. Without BMW doing the R&D on duckbill trunks to begin with, Do-Luck AND Bulletproof Automotive wouldn't have earned a penny off of that design because it wouldn't have been there in the first place. Also, I'm sure those R&D costs have more than een made up for by now with the relatively high markup on this piece.
Nice.

Trunk gap looks bad at the bottom, as everyone else has said. I've seen so many "aftermarket" parts come thru our shop with awful fitment. Get the nice stuff or don't bother.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

You can see that the lines arent even aligned in their display picture...

Old May 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evostare
the lines arent even aligned in their display picture...
As John mentioned, there's a little bit of room for adjustment. The first time I installed my new OEM TRUNK, that's right, the one made by Mitsubishi, the lines didn't work out right either.

After unbolting and rebolting about 4 or 5 times, it's now perfect. I'd like to THINK that these guys just didn't spend the time it takes to make it line up right, but at the same time I know this trunk won't fit perfectly. ****, even the Do-Lucks don't fit perfectly. I'd be damn surprised if any Do-Luck lines up exactly how my trunk lines up. The replica might magnify these differences because they're notoriously cheaper fitment than their "real" JDM counterparts, but in the end you're still looking at half the price.

If the real was $100 and replica was $50, being half the price doesn't justify cheaping out to MOST of us. At $1200 and $600, now it seems like a pretty damn good deal. Just imagine if the real one was $2400 and the replica was $1200... it all boils down to budget when it comes to strictly cosmetic things like this. Some are ballin and some are ballin on a budget, but it's up to free market to decide which businesses succeed and which fail.

It's extremely idiotic and naive to think you can produce a part like this and not have it replicated at half the cost. Put a patent on it if you want to live by that mentality! Oh wait, it was BMW's design to begin with, oh snap.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

As John mentioned, there's a little bit of room for adjustment. The first time I installed my new OEM TRUNK, that's right, the one made by Mitsubishi, the lines didn't work out right either.

After unbolting and rebolting about 4 or 5 times, it's now perfect. I'd like to THINK that these guys just didn't spend the time it takes to make it line up right, but at the same time I know this trunk won't fit perfectly. ****, even the Do-Lucks don't fit perfectly. I'd be damn surprised if any Do-Luck lines up exactly how my trunk lines up. The replica might magnify these differences because they're notoriously cheaper fitment than their "real" JDM counterparts, but in the end you're still looking at half the price.

If the real was $100 and replica was $50, being half the price doesn't justify cheaping out to MOST of us. At $1200 and $600, now it seems like a pretty damn good deal. Just imagine if the real one was $2400 and the replica was $1200... it all boils down to budget when it comes to strictly cosmetic things like this. Some are ballin and some are ballin on a budget, but it's up to free market to decide which businesses succeed and which fail.

It's extremely idiotic and naive to think you can produce a part like this and not have it replicated at half the cost. Put a patent on it if you want to live by that mentality! Oh wait, it was BMW's design to begin with, oh snap.
Fitment; I've got it.

Old May 3, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

heres my do luck. as you can see, it's not very noticeable, even in person. but after reading through this thread i feel like trying to readjust again, heh..

Old May 4, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

IDK...if there can be adjustments made...why should I spend that kind of money on a do-luck!?
Moreover...can't a body shop adjust it so that the truck sits flush...does anyone else see a problem with the trunk other than the gap at the bottom..cause..I think alot more people will start buying this..I know I am strongly considering it...not going to lie....
Old May 18, 2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Evo Izzy
I have not adjusted it as of yet. I will adjust it and repost some pictures...
any pics?

Quick Reply: Autocity Import's D-Speed Trunk Lid on Rally Red