Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Plasti Dip question..

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti Dip question..

I have the SST package and want to black out the center part of front spoiler. But looking at it, i realize it is not black but more of a dark grey. What color is it actually? Or do i need to paint whole center including grill? Thanks.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

The MR is a grey, the gsr one is black. Maybe you can find a GSR in your area who would be willing to swap parts? If you want to black everything out, you will need to paint the front bumper cover along with the chrome trim.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have an 08 GSR. I dont have the chrome ring. And mine is not black. Is there a Plasti dip that is close to the grey ? Reason i want to do this is due to a peice of tire rubber hit right in center and scuffed it and can't get it hout so i figure covering it would be better.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plasti Dip is only available in white, yellow, red, clear, blue and black. They make a "mix your own color" kit too, but good luck matching a gray.

The GSR gray is close enough to black that you probably wouldn't notice minor repairs with black paint. If it's a big section, though, you'd have to try to replicate the metallic gray paint Mitsubishi used on it.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am not talking about the grey of my car..... I am talking about the grill area. I am wanting to plasti dip the center of the Front spoiler since i have the SSS package. Thank for the help.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ok to clarify, I believe you're confusing a bunch of things. There is no "SST" package, but the Evo MR comes with an SST transmission and a gray center grill piece, whereas the GSR has the black plastic.

The SSS package stands for Sight (HIDs), Sound (Rockford Fosgate), Spoiler (big rear wing).

The factory aero kit has the rear bumper corner extensions, wider side-skirts, and the front lip you're referring to.

You also mention the "grill area" and "front spoiler." If you have the aero kit, then you have that body-colored strip going across the entire bottom. To make this look more like the non-aero versions you'd have to black out a strip in the center.

If you use plasti-dip, the black has a slight blue-ish hue and it won't match the center black plastic grill piece.

The only way to get it to match is to paint that center strip AND all of the black plastic nearby so that it's all the same black.

Me personally, I'm gonna get a strip of vinyl on the center of the front lip.
Old May 31, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Alright that helps alot.... if i was to paint whole grill area including the ring around the grill how do i get it off the bumper.
Old May 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Remove bumper and you will see the clips and screws holding the trim on from the back side of the bumper.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

thanks
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:32 AM

the "black" plastidip was more of a dark gray if i remember correctly from my sti
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Here's plasti-dip right up against factory black plastic:

olaboy did this and it worked out great except for the mismatching blacks.

To me it looks a little blue-ish, which is why I recommended going over ALL of the plastic so that it all matches.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Ok to clarify, I believe you're confusing a bunch of things. There is no "SST" package, but the Evo MR comes with an SST transmission and a gray center grill piece, whereas the GSR has the black plastic.
Even the GSR's grill is not quite black. It's a flat dark gray metallic paint. If you look closely you can see the shimmer, and if you're unlucky enough to get a rock in that direction you can see where the paint flakes off to reveal the plain black plastic underneath.