Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Recaro Profi Install and Track Day Goodness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recaro Profi Install and Track Day Goodness

So I've been contemplating where to go with my Evo since Im content with the power it makes but its still on a stock turbo. Im tempted to upgrade to something bigger but running ****ty cali 91 pump gas really limits power production and I cant justify the upgrade for a mere 40whp.
I turned my focus to cutting weight out of the car but still keeping it civil. The Tomei exhaust has shaved over 45lbs on the stock system so I was looking for something else that would be a significant reduction in weight and decided to replace the heavy Recaro OEM seats with some lighter Recaro Profi bucket seats.
The Profis are really nice seats and very understated, no flashy material or anything that will make them stand out. Just what I was looking for.

Onto removing the stock seats and weighing them.

The drivers seat ends up tipping the scales at a hefty 42lbs. The passenger side is even heavier with the stupid pressure plate mounted underneath. I dont have the numbers in front of me right now but Im pretty sure it was 48lbs.

The Profi's weigh in at a much nicer 24lbs with Buddy Club seat rails. That comes out to a nice 42lbs in weight savings.

Not to mention the more supportive seats are much better for the track. The buddy club seat rails are also really light and best of all keep the seat at a low position and bolt right in, retaining the stock seat belt. Highly recommended!

With my new seats installed and a fresh set of Nitto NT01 tires mounted up I attended the Speed Ventures Buttonwillow track day this past weekend. I must say the way they run their events are fantastic and very organized.
Onto the day itself. My previous best before the Nittos and Profi seats was a 2:03.2 on CW13 layout. I was hoping with the added grip and lighter seats I would be able to break the elusive 2:00 barrier.
The weather wasnt the greatest so I was worried if I would even get any dry runs in as it was quite damp out on the track but soon it dried up enough to where the track had a decent amount of grip available.

My run group consisted of some pretty serious cars.

Not a problem though, the Evo handled the corners much better than most of the RWD cars and was able to even pass a viper or two

I paired the seats with a Cobra belt hareness that I had kicking around.

The AMS bar that I had installed ages ago finally came in handy! No more just being a show piece.

Despite the less than ideal conditions I was able to squeeze off a 2:00.7 lap time, which is quicker then my previous time but I really wanted that 1:59. Unfortunately it rained some more which meant I would have to wait until the next day to try again.

Sunday brought pretty the sun but intermittent rain spoiled the party again. I managed one session where I was able to run a 2:00.8. It looks like my chase for the sub-two minute marker will have to wait for another time.

The car ran flawlessly and the Nitto NT01 tires held up great. So much cant be said with my brembo brakes which are starting to show signs of abuse. Anyone wanna trade?

The car also looks as dirty as its ever been! Its time it receives a well deserved wash.

Last edited by pstl_pete; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn car looks great! Good to see your tracking it Keep it up
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:25 AM

nice pete..
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:30 AM

Great post man. thanx for sharing.
Are the buddy club rails seat rails plug and play?
For additional weight saving, u can remove rear seats.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

The car is getting fast Peter...nice! Good call on the weight loss mods, every bit helps for sure. What brake mods do you have on top of the rotors?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much more snug is that Profi compared tot eh stock OEM? What waist line are you? Is that just the standard Profi SPA or XL version?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:18 AM

ALways love your write ups, im actually getting ready to swap out the stock recaro seats myself for some zeta 3.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet X..love the build progress on the mag
Old Feb 2, 2011, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

very nice pictures and write up.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 05:40 AM

I'm curious where do you guys buy those blue tape you use to cover parts of the car?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Paint store
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Nice, one of the few X's that I've liked without the big wing on the back. Car looks great and seats look nice and comfy for the track. I think when I replaced the seats in my Mustang, they weighed 70+ lbs each...

Originally Posted by sxng9
I'm curious where do you guys buy those blue tape you use to cover parts of the car?
Blue tape you say??

Bought this pristine Cobra in Orlando and drove it back to Maryland like this.

It's painters tape. They make green as well if that matches your car better

Last edited by dcorn; Feb 2, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

oh! hey! i saw you on sunday! im the one with white evo 10! your car looks so sick!!!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

that AMS bar looks really good! i like it alot
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:04 AM

Your didn't happen to be in an issue of Modified Mag? as a project car, did it

Quick Reply: Recaro Profi Install and Track Day Goodness