Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues

Let me preface: I have an '08 Evo X GSR with the SSS package. I removed the OEM tall wing and was going to replace it with the Seibon CF one. I bought the Seibon one from an eBay vendor, but it was shipped direct from Seibon. Here are the issues I'm running into:

1. One picture shows the existing holes that were in my OEM trunk (the large black spot is the hole with the plastic clip that isn't needed, I removed it and covered it with black vinyl). The hole closest to the middle of the trunk doesn't go all the way through, there's a threaded portion below the surface. That's where the bolt from under the little cover on the OEM wing went down from the top.

2. The Seibon wing doesn't have that cover, the bolt there is supposed to come up from the bottom. Again, that hole doesn't go all the way through. Seibon told me not to drill through or use that bolt, just go with the two furthest to the outside on each end.

3. The Seibon wing doesn't sit flush, as you can see in the pictures. Even with 3M tape, it wouldn't hold.

4. The bolt holes didn't line up anyway. I test fitted the spoiler, I put one bolt in lightly on the right side, the bolt furthest to the rear. The rest of the holes don't line up at all. The last picture shows from the underneath looking up, you can start to see the edge of the hole on the Seibon wing, but it's nowhere close enough.

Anyone else have problems with this wing? I've contacted Seibon again and am waiting for a response.
Attached Thumbnails Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues-holes.jpg   Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues-left.jpg   Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues-right.jpg   Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues-holes-2.jpg  
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seibon is garbage. I hope you have better luck with them than I did when I had a trunk on my IX MR that fit like total ***. The fix was to go to a Chargespeed trunk, and then eventually back to stock. It's just me, but if I already had the big wing, I wouldn't have taken it off to buy an aftermarket big wing. especially on a silver car. good luck with it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

holy cow... sorry to see such bad fitment. I was looking at Seibon for the large wing too... good luck and post up some pics if u are able to fix the fitment
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

that looks pretty bad =( Hope they can get that fixed for u..
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby0283
Let me preface: I have an '08 Evo X GSR with the SSS package. I removed the OEM tall wing and was going to replace it with the Seibon CF one. I bought the Seibon one from an eBay vendor, but it was shipped direct from Seibon. Here are the issues I'm running into:

1. One picture shows the existing holes that were in my OEM trunk (the large black spot is the hole with the plastic clip that isn't needed, I removed it and covered it with black vinyl). The hole closest to the middle of the trunk doesn't go all the way through, there's a threaded portion below the surface. That's where the bolt from under the little cover on the OEM wing went down from the top.

2. The Seibon wing doesn't have that cover, the bolt there is supposed to come up from the bottom. Again, that hole doesn't go all the way through. Seibon told me not to drill through or use that bolt, just go with the two furthest to the outside on each end.

3. The Seibon wing doesn't sit flush, as you can see in the pictures. Even with 3M tape, it wouldn't hold.

4. The bolt holes didn't line up anyway. I test fitted the spoiler, I put one bolt in lightly on the right side, the bolt furthest to the rear. The rest of the holes don't line up at all. The last picture shows from the underneath looking up, you can start to see the edge of the hole on the Seibon wing, but it's nowhere close enough.

Anyone else have problems with this wing? I've contacted Seibon again and am waiting for a response.
i have a same wing over 2 years now. And i have 0 issues fitting or any gap etc. Doesnt even fade ....
I do have a double sided tape under it , just like the OEM wing has. I like to do a same way as a factory does/mitsubishi/ also i have 2 bolts each side to hold and the inside ones , the third whole im not using it. The wing is stable and solid as hell.

So i do not know what did go wrong with yours.

Rob
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately I've seen my fair share of horror stories with Seibon...this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Best of luck in resolving the situation!
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

hmm must be unlucky mine had fitment that was dead on.. didnt even have to drill any other holes in my trunk
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i have a same wing over 2 years now. And i have 0 issues fitting or any gap etc. Doesnt even fade ....
I do have a double sided tape under it , just like the OEM wing has. I like to do a same way as a factory does/mitsubishi/ also i have 2 bolts each side to hold and the inside ones , the third whole im not using it. The wing is stable and solid as hell.

So i do not know what did go wrong with yours.

Rob
So did you have to flex it at all to get it to fit? Or did the holes line right up when you set it on top? It's almost like mine is bowed up and it got shortened. I don't want to over-stress it by trying to flex it into place.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:15 PM

Well Seibon says they're opening a file and looking into it for me. Hopefully I get some good news next week.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:37 PM

I thought about getting this wing, but then again, with Seibon, its either a hit or miss with fitment.

Sorry to hear what happened, I hope you get a replacement.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to go with the Seibon.. but not now. The way that sits on the trunk is horrible. Keep us posted with Seibons response.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:38 AM

Well after sending a first set of pictures, which they claim were too dark (the original ones from my first post), they requested a second set which I sent on 3/17. I was told I'd hear something by 3/21, but no response so far. I've emailed and left a message again but I'm not getting anywhere right now.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Stop screwing with it and just return that junk!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wicked white14
Stop screwing with it and just return that junk!
Co-sign, that sucks.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

Update:
Seibon is still questioning the photos showing it doesn't fit. They wanted to send me to another vendor in Chicago (way out of my way). I suggested AMS since it's closer to where I live. So I call AMS and they tell me to stop by. Andrew at AMS is the man. He took some pics and confirmed the mold must have been off as NOTHING lined up correctly or sat flush. He's sending the pics off to Seibon and hopefully they'll finally realize it was a bad wing and send me a new one.

Quick Reply: Seibon OEM-style Wing Issues