Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

5 cracked spokes randomly...what?? Please look and help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BAMFevo
Well I was contemplating getting just 2 stockers off the forum and having them pc'd but they probably wont match and who's to say this wont just happen again. I don't have money for Volks or Advans sadly, but I've been looking at RFP1's in Matte black or gunmetal. I'd like to stay away from Rota at all cost but I'd settle for them if I had no other options. Can anyone else recommend a good looking rim that will go with graphite grey??

Thanks folks!
Their is nothing wrong with a cheap set of rotas. I track with mine and push this heavy a$$ car pretty hard and everything is fine. They are actually my second set, I used to have them on my 240sx also.Just make sure you buy a new set and not used.

This is not meant to start a rota vs. other wheel debate. just my personal experience
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Huge
Their is nothing wrong with a cheap set of rotas. I track with mine and push this heavy a$$ car pretty hard and everything is fine. They are actually my second set, I used to have them on my 240sx also.Just make sure you buy a new set and not used.

This is not meant to start a rota vs. other wheel debate. just my personal experience
I understand and respect your opinion. I think I'm going to go with Matte Black RPF1's 18x9.5 and call it a day. i've always dug those wheels and super light. I'm just p'od that this happened now because I had other plans for my car and now I've got to shell out a good chunk of change for new rims.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to contact my insurance and see if I can claim them and get some money for them. The ONE thing I'm banking on is I didn't hit anything or curb them and that they just cracked like that randomly. Also, the fact that 5 spokes on 2 different wheels might help, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll get something out of this
That is probably not going to fly since your wheels are powdercoated. As you know one of the steps is a baking process and any type of high temperature process is going to change the material property. You really should be going after the guy who did your powdercoating, not Mitsubishi
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoever that powdercoated your wheels messed up, that's for sure. not sure if you took it to a reputable shop or not...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
whoever that powdercoated your wheels messed up, that's for sure. not sure if you took it to a reputable shop or not...
One of my buddies works there and his dads garage is just full of bikes that he had powdercoated at the shop and they looked very good. So I'm going off that and all the other PC jobs they've done before that he showed me. I've come to the conclusion that it's just very unfortunate that this happened and "hopefully" was a freak accident.

I'm also assuming that Mitsu nor my insurance company will do anything, but it's at least worth the try. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll honor my warranty or something. Regardless, I'm ordering my RFP1's tomorrow and everyone will be happy.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

You gotta stop trying to make Mitsu responsible for this one. The fault is on the powder coating. This is not something that Mitsu would authorize for their wheels. Whether or not you trust your powder coater is really of no consequence as it has been well stated that when you powder coat rims you will run the chance of ruining the metal structure of the rims.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea man it is def the powdercoaters fault. No doubt about it. They cooked them too high and that's why you have a problem. That ruined the strength of the wheels. I say either try to get them(powdercoaters) to pay for half of the new wheels or just swallow the money.

Did he powdercoat the bikes wheels? Or just other metal parts?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Yea man it is def the powdercoaters fault. No doubt about it. They cooked them too high and that's why you have a problem. That ruined the strength of the wheels. I say either try to get them(powdercoaters) to pay for half of the new wheels or just swallow the money.

Did he powdercoat the bikes wheels? Or just other metal parts?
He pc'd most of the parts and wheels. I'm ordering my wheels tomorrow and insurance said they won't cover it, so I'm just gonna swallow the money and just be happy I'll have my car now (its sitting under sheets in the garage so it wont collect dust)

I dont want to start another thread, so I'm just going to ask another quick question here. I only have stock-size tires because I was planning on using my stock rims but now I'd like to go with wider rims. Can I safely run 18x9.5 with 245/40-18 tires?? I know they will be stretched but will this affect the integrity of the tires and cause more ware faster or unevenly. I'd had to get new wheels and screw my tires. If not, I'll go with 18x8.5 in RFP1's but I'd like to shoot for 9.5. Thanks folks.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

don't drive it like that!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Holy!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Sucks they broke on you, but you're not the first one who had his stock wheels crack. I had 2 spokes on my stock VIII Enkei's crack like that in the same place! I took it in to while it was still under warranty. All four wheels were flawless! Not a nick on them. The service writer took pics of the wheel & emailed them to the warranty rep. Guess what "the cause" of the cracks were on my wheel according to the technical guru's Mitsu employs....wait for it.....
the lugnuts were overtightened!!!!

The writer tried to sell me a new wheel for $600+, I argued a bit at first, but said screw it. I had already found a replacement wheel for $160 shipped.

Sucks that Mitsubishi can be such douchebags about obvious manufacturer defects... Can't be certain though in your situation with the PC wheels..
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah you have to make sure that you know the temp restrictions of any material that you're going to powder coat. I won't get my Ducati wheels powder coated for that very reason, I don't want to damage them...

Originally Posted by 4bangn
damn, i didnt know that powdercoating wheels could do that, learn something every day
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, you should take it to Mitsubishi first and see what they will do for you. You never know you might catch someone on a good day and they will warranty them out for you.
Second, If you are serious about having your insurance pay for the wheels, I would have the insurance rep point out where in your policy exactly it states that they would not be responsible for the wheels of the car. If you ask a company if they would like to take on a monetary loss voluntarily, they will always decline, but that does not reflect on whether or not they are responsible for taking on that monetary loss.
Third, while yes, you can change the material properties of wheels (especially aluminum) during the powdercoating process (depends on temps used) I would not jump to conclusions and say that it was the powdercoaters fault. If you want you can ask the coater what temp he cured at and what the cycle was (temp vs time). Then you can look up tables on the internet of affects of tensile strength of aluminum based on temps that they are exposed to...

Either way, good luck man. This is a ****ty thing to happen. It is also scary to think about what could have happened. As a point of reference, I have RPF1's that were powdercoated with two layers (of different colors) and I beat on them and I have not seen what you have. "knocking on wood" Take care.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I dont want to start another thread, so I'm just going to ask another quick question here. I only have stock-size tires because I was planning on using my stock rims but now I'd like to go with wider rims. Can I safely run 18x9.5 with 245/40-18 tires?? I know they will be stretched but will this affect the integrity of the tires and cause more ware faster or unevenly. I'd had to get new wheels and screw my tires. If not, I'll go with 18x8.5 in RFP1's but I'd like to shoot for 9.5. Thanks folks.
I would get 9.5s and use the stock tires. That's not the most ideal setup but it will work fine for a while. I wouldn't even think about ordering 8.5's. That would be a waste IMO.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I would get 9.5s and use the stock tires. That's not the most ideal setup but it will work fine for a while. I wouldn't even think about ordering 8.5's. That would be a waste IMO.
I went with 9.5's Couldn't do it to myself to order 8.5's!

Quick Reply: 5 cracked spokes randomly...what?? Please look and help!