Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Detail without Clay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detail without Clay?

Long story short, I'm taking my car in for an exterior detail and the shop apparently doesn't do a clay bar as part of the process. The person on the phone said using a clay bar is too rough on the paint and that they do a two step buff + polish process instead. This seems strange to me. Any thoughts? The shop was recommended.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:01 PM

call that shop back and scream in the phone "KILL YOURSELF!!!!!!"
Clay bar is important to remove all the paint contaminants. unless they use alternative measures (body sponges) but either way they need to accomplish that step.
It can be done but all they are gonna do is trap dirt and **** underneath the layers polish and waxes. As someone who does car detailing I wouldn't do it. If anything just clay it yourself before taking it to them.

How much are they charging you for that?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:18 PM

$170. Below is their description of the process.
  • We execute our exclusive four-stage hand wash to remove all road tar, insects, tree sap, contaminants, old wax and stains, ferrous metals and balance pH levels of car's surface.
  • Buff painted surface with fine polishing compound to remove small scratches and oxidation.
  • Buff painted surface a second time to remove swirls and restore the color and luster.
  • Apply liberal coating of polymer sealant for long-lasting protection.
  • Detail all exterior surfaces, including a thorough cleaning of the tires, wheels, wheel wells, door jambs, chrome, moldings and windows.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I would have 2nd thoughts but if the referral is from someone you trust... Just clay bar it yourself, shouldn't take longer than 30mins.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

If a reputable detail shop believes that a clay bar, in ANY way "is too rough on the paint" then I would give serious consideration to taking your business elsewhere.

If they had told you the truth to what they will most likely do then you could make a more informed decision.

Most likely they just take an aggressive compound on a medium pad which will remove most of the surface contamination, while taking out some of the scratches. Then the second paint correction (what they call "buff") would be to remove the damage they just caused from their first "buff".

Lastly, NO wax/sealant/polimer should be applied "liberaly". Thin, even, consistant coats will provide a better bond with the paint. Especially with quality products.

Its exactly what I would do in my garage if I hated your car and wanted to do you harm, or if you were selling the car and didnt care about the paint's actual condition.

However, if you want to keep your car for a while I would advise against taking your car to this shop.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ i agree with above responses. I own a detailing company and constantly reading/learning new things but ive never heard of a detailer refusing to clay prior to buffing. Claying the car is a preliminary step that much be taking otherwise you will cause more paint defects. I recommend you search www.autopia.com for a more reputable detailer in your area.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
The audascity!!! How absurb!! You can't detail without the clay!! Claying may be a pain in the butt but it is definitely a necessary process if you want your car's paint to shine and last longer.....
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like they like to charge but dont want to do the work.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Take it somewhere else! Clay bar is a must if you want a good detail done to your car!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:35 PM

My cystal ball says the car will look good when you get it back but in a few weeks there will be buffer trails everywhere. They most likely will use something with heavy fillers and to hide their work and get you money.

I would do more research and find someone else. There are several types of clay and it is the base of a great finish.

Good luck