Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

White M1 Abrams Shift Knob?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White M1 Abrams Shift Knob?

Hey everyone, first post here. I've searched around, and I can't find anyone with a white M1 Abrams shift knob from TWM. I'm thinking about picking one up along with some boots from redlinegoods.com.

Does anyone have a similar combination? Do you think it would look good in the X? I want a sphere shift knob, but my stock aluminum one gets so damn hot/cold.

If I went with the white knob, do you think black leather, with a white racing stripe, and red stitching would look good? Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't remember, but isn't the M1 Abrams knob going to do the same thing as the stock aluminum knob- as far as the hot/cold thing goes? I know they have a knob that doesn't react as much to temps..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I can't remember, but isn't the M1 Abrams knob going to do the same thing as the stock aluminum knob- as far as the hot/cold thing goes? I know they have a knob that doesn't react as much to temps..
I was curious if this would be the case with the white knob. I saw their phantom knob, and I might give it a shot, but it's pretty expensive and not as heavy if I recall.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any metal knob is going to react to temperature change. Delrin is great as far as staying at a decent temp. Personally, I like to just put a baby sock over my shift knob in the summer. Here in AZ it gets up to 200* in a parked car over the summer. The baby sock method worked great for me last year. Plus, you can get them in all kinds of patterns/colors if you want to be fancy.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:28 PM

Here's my setup.

This is the A6 Leopard (satin finish) with bride boot. The TWM short shifter is also installed in the pic.

I'd recommend getting all 3 boots (shifter, e-brake, and arm rest) if you go with redline. It will looks a lot better if things are matching...

Both products are top notch. No complaints!

As for temperature... the knob is very prone to temperature change. Blistering hot if left in the sun and freezing cold in the winters. I actually bought driving gloves for winter, haha. In the summer, I thrown a crown royal bag over it to keep the sun off, haha. But I imagine the gloss white coating is much less temperature sensitive than the pure metal finishes.

Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:30 AM

If anyone is curious, I picked up the redlinegoods leather boot with white stitching. I've got the leather package in my '11 GG GSR, so I think it will match up really well with the steering wheel, armrest, and recaros.

As for the shift knob, I picked up a black Moddiction textured anvil sphere. I will post pictures of both when I get them installed.

Random thought: Do you think there's much interest in my aluminum knob I got with the interior package?