Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Do you hose off your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you hose off your engine bay?

Just curious to see if anyone here regularly hoses down their engine bay? I wonder if any of the soap dispensers that you can hook up to your hose could be safely used as well? I am looking to try and keep my engine bay as spotless as possible and was hoping there was an easier way other than elbow grease that one can accomplish this goal.

HOLLA!!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I do mine regularly since it was new. I cover my air filter and alternator with plastic grocery bags, spray the whole thing down with simple green and let it soak. After it has soaked, I use a detailing brush to finish it off before hosing it down using a garden hose.

I do let it dry thoroughly before starting it up again though.

I've done this @ 10 times, and during this time I've put on 12,000+ miles w/ no issues. I'm using the nozzle for the hose, so it isn't full blast... just to rinse off the degreaser.

Last edited by ityn; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Use the high pressure and low water volume setting on your sprayer.. Don't just stick a full garden hose flow worth of water in there and do it with the engine running so that if something gets wet or shorts you know about it immediately versus chasing it for the next few days when your car won't start. The engine heat will help dry everything off also. Keep the hood open for a while so steam doesnt build up and get into the electrical connectors.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

how do the professionals do it?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ityn
I do mine regularly since it was new. I cover my air filter and alternator with plastic grocery bags, spray the whole thing down with simple green and let it soak. After it has soaked, I use a detailing brush to finish it off before hosing it down using a garden hose.

I've done this @ 10 times, and during this time I've put on 12,000+ miles w/ no issues. I'm using the nozzle for the hose, so it isn't full blast... just to rinse off the degreaser.
I do mine the same way.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Nope.. I always wipe down and clean everything that I can see but never clean it like that.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ My car. This pic was shot this past Saturday.

I've never sprayed water under the hood. The undertray stays on; it keeps a lot of the grime out. All underhood components - at least the ones I can reach - are treated with Sonus Motor Kote once a year. I also use a high-temp sealant on all painted surfaces. Also, about once a year. Then, it's just a matter of wiping out the bay after a wash. Most of the time I use spritz of a QD or a waterless wash to aid in the process. Sometimes booster product like Duragloss' Aquawax. This takes all of 3-4 minutes and the engine bay stays looking new.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ityn

This is the correct way with the addition of warming up the engine to operating temperature prior. This helps A) cut the grease and dirt when the cleaner hits it and B) dry faster
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:17 AM

Check out this tread. It should remove any concerns. His car is running during the video.
http://http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32278&highlight=Washing+engine+ba y

Last edited by ZLAYER; Apr 12, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:36 PM

just making sure. is it ok without the plastic engine cover on to spray it?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by deanob
This is the correct way with the addition of warming up the engine to operating temperature prior. This helps A) cut the grease and dirt when the cleaner hits it and B) dry faster
Yes, but be careful. You don't want to spray really cold water on a hot engine. Warm engine I'd say is Ok, but don't run the car up real hot to then spray the engine with cold water. That's just not good.

Read this article about engine cleaning.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:59 PM

Wipe clean or cover like the first guy said. Dont want any electrical issues
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF

^^^ My car. This pic was shot this past Saturday.

I've never sprayed water under the hood. The undertray stays on; it keeps a lot of the grime out. All underhood components - at least the ones I can reach - are treated with Sonus Motor Kote once a year. I also use a high-temp sealant on all painted surfaces. Also, about once a year. Then, it's just a matter of wiping out the bay after a wash. Most of the time I use spritz of a QD or a waterless wash to aid in the process. Sometimes booster product like Duragloss' Aquawax. This takes all of 3-4 minutes and the engine bay stays looking new.

This. I basically just keep up on it and don't let any dirt build up so it is cleaner than when brand new, like FJFs.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:24 PM

There aren't to many things better than seeing a bright and squeaky clean engine bay.

Quick Reply: Do you hose off your engine bay?