Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Unofficial: Evo X - XXR Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012EvoXGSR
on a stock setup.... what's the clearance from the wheel to the fender before you have to roll the fender?
Honestly I don't think anyone has ever rolled fenders on a stock height car.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2012EvoXGSR
on a stock setup.... what's the clearance from the wheel to the fender before you have to roll the fender?
Not sure exact number but I can say with my setup on gtworx and stock tires on the XXR 20 offset I didn't rub. When I went to 265's I had it rolled at the same time they installed the tires just in case, so I'm not sure if it would have rubbed but pretty sure it would have.

But I wouldn't think you would want stock setup with aftermarket wheels.

If you are trying to do it "right" you will be a little lower and you will be adding camber.

Personally I would say just have them rolled. It's fairly cheap and you can't see it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Not sure exact number but I can say with my setup on gtworx and stock tires on the XXR 20 offset I didn't rub. When I went to 265's I had it rolled at the same time they installed the tires just in case, so I'm not sure if it would have rubbed but pretty sure it would have.

But I wouldn't think you would want stock setup with aftermarket wheels.

If you are trying to do it "right" you will be a little lower and you will be adding camber.

Personally I would say just have them rolled. It's fairly cheap and you can't see it.
Zero disrespect, but I do not agree with going with more camber. Our tires are less than affordable and the closer you can get to 0 when dropping your car, the more affordable. Stanced cars look sort of cool but do not see the cost:coolness ratio that would make it make sense.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

No disrespect taken. I'm not coming from the "stance" point of view. I'm coming from the "sports car" point of view. Camber is to help in handling not stancing. Stancers just took it to the extreme. A good performance alignment is going to have camber. I had mine done by somebody that does a winning time attack car. I told him to align it to make it handle. I'm -3 in the front and about -2 in the rear. 0 camber will turn into positive camber in the turns.

I'm at 10k miles on my Ad08's and can hardly see the inner wearing any more. Toe will effect wear more.

My personal opinion is it's a waste to buy such a great handling car to not take advantage of it. 0 camber is fine for a Prius though.

Originally Posted by NeedBoost!
Zero disrespect, but I do not agree with going with more camber. Our tires are less than affordable and the closer you can get to 0 when dropping your car, the more affordable. Stanced cars look sort of cool but do not see the cost:coolness ratio that would make it make sense.
Actually here is my tire with 10k miles on it. I'll prob have them flipped on the rim soon.

There are 3 track days and numerous canyon runs on them.

image by Uscbryan, on Flickr

Last edited by Uscbryan; Jul 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

No disrespect taken. I'm not coming from the "stance" point of view. I'm coming from the "sports car" point of view. Camber is to help in handling not stancing. Stancers just took it to the extreme. A good performance alignment is going to have camber. I had mine done by somebody that does a winning time attack car. I told him to align it to make it handle. I'm -3 in the front and about -2 in the rear. 0 camber will turn into positive camber in the turns.

I'm at 10k miles on my Ad08's and can hardly see the inner wearing any more. Toe will effect wear more.

My personal opinion is it's a waste to buy such a great handling car to not take advantage of it. 0 camber is fine for a Prius though.
You and all your science and facts and crap.
Very good points and no I do not press my car enough that it makes a huge difference. Although I'm slightly more inspired to get closer to what you run if it would help with those infrequent times I drive through the canyon.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

You and all your science and facts and crap.
Very good points and no I do not press my car enough that it makes a huge difference. Although I'm slightly more inspired to get closer to what you run if it would help with those infrequent times I drive through the canyon.
You don't have to go nearly as aggressive to feel a difference. Find a good alignment guy that does performance cars. My guy asks me a bunch of questions on how I want the car to handle. IE under, oversteer, neutral.

Even with my aggressive setup it's not killing my tires like some people think. I can tell you that it seems to have more effect on wear with the stock tires over these AD08's though. The 08's just seem bullet proof.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

You don't have to go nearly as aggressive to feel a difference. Find a good alignment guy that does performance cars. My guy asks me a bunch of questions on how I want the car to handle. IE under, oversteer, neutral.

Even with my aggressive setup it's not killing my tires like some people think. I can tell you that it seems to have more effect on wear with the stock tires over these AD08's though. The 08's just seem bullet proof.
Would love to know where you go since I'm in RSM (about 15 minutes from Irvine). Haven't found a good alignment shop yet, especially a shop that has someone who has ever seen an AWD sedan come through their doors.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

West End Alignment

I think it's out near Santa Fe Springs. Yelp it. You will see how many good reviews he has.

Would love to know where you go since I'm in RSM (about 15 minutes from Irvine). Haven't found a good alignment shop yet, especially a shop that has someone who has ever seen an AWD sedan come through their doors.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the 527's with 18x9.75 20mm offset. I was curious on what size hub center rings i need for my 14' GSR. Are the open tuner lug nuts better than the closed? What size lug nuts will fit. Thanks guys.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

You'll need a ring that will fit the 73.1 of the xxr wheel to the 67.1 of the evo and for the lug nuts it has to be narrower then 22mm. I have 22mm and it's still little big. I would find 19mm.

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the 527's with 18x9.75 20mm offset. I was curious on what size hub center rings i need for my 14' GSR. Are the open tuner lug nuts better than the closed? What size lug nuts will fit. Thanks guys.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Open and closed are just preference unless you are going with oversized studs.

I light the longer lugs though. It makes it a little easier to start them by hand. But short work as well.

I have my old black ones. Where are you located?

I got some nice aluminum hub centric rings from evasive but you could also do plastic. No they didn't melt on my 3 track days.

Just remember to keep an eye on them whenever anybody removes your tires. I always forgot and I ended up with NO rings on it. Actually I ran around not knowing I didn't have rings on the car for a good 5000 miles and it didn't feel any different.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

...Actually I ran around not knowing I didn't have rings on the car for a good 5000 miles and it didn't feel any different.
^^ This. I've never run rings. Don't even really know what they do so I guess ignorance is bliss.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Random question.. whats the low beam bulb number? Lol. Yes very random.. I'm trying to order HID kit and I can't find my manual at the moment lol. Oh btw... the rings help vibrations I believe.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Random question.. whats the low beam bulb number? Lol. Yes very random.. I'm trying to order HID kit and I can't find my manual at the moment lol. Oh btw... the rings help vibrations I believe.
I forget the bulb number but it should be somewhere online.

Yea they say the rings are for vibrations but mine ran fine without them
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Bulb 9006/HB4. Answered my own question.

Quick Reply: Unofficial: Evo X - XXR Thread