Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Lip kits all require taking off front bumper for install?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lip kits all require taking off front bumper for install?

This observation has been nagging me for literally ages, and I just want a second opinion from a person that's NOT the seller of the crappy lip kits that never fits on my front bumper.

Why is it they (not throwing names out here) always claim you have to uninstall the front bumper for proper fitment?

Surely, if it doesn't fit with the bumper ON the car, there's no point in having it fit OFF the car. Also, what's their definition of "fit"? I've seen lip kits that "fit" but at the cost of having their original bumper's paint hacked off like cheese through a gritter at where the lip kit meets the bumper. Somehow that's considered "good fitment." Really? I bet Stevie Wonder can make better lip kits than those rubbish.

Am I really just missing something here? Does taking the bumper off really magically make your lip kit fit like a glove? I'd love to be proven wrong, because I've gone through three different lip kits already and they all fit like Mariah Carey's bikini on a fat chick. Conversely, I had the OEM Aero lip at one point, and that does simply slip on like a glove without even trying.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your rant over? Lol.

But I think it depends on the lip. I know for a fact that the Varis lip and Jun lip need the front bumper removed to install, but other lips like Voltex will fit amazing with the bumper still on.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
Your rant over? Lol.

But I think it depends on the lip. I know for a fact that the Varis lip and Jun lip need the front bumper removed to install, but other lips like Voltex will fit amazing with the bumper still on.
Not a rant. Just wanted to know if I'm actually missing the point of removing a front bumper, as if detaching it will somehow make it flex into the lip or something to that end.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
Not a rant. Just wanted to know if I'm actually missing the point of removing a front bumper, as if detaching it will somehow make it flex into the lip or something to that end.

Based on Experience.... Depending on what lip you run.... You may have to drill into the bumper. Or the New Hardware makes you have to take the bumper off to tighent the bolt/nut from the inside if that makes sense... It has nothing to do with "Fitment" ie: the APR lip is drilled and uses Hex Bolts with 10m Nut from the inside of the bumper to be installed.... The WHOLE Front Half of the Undertray is still attached when removing the front bumper after the lip has been installed.... I still love my APR lip =)

Fitment is going to be whack even if the bumper is removed from the car or not.

Installing the lip isn't a double side tape/Stock Plastic Push Pins/Stock 10mm Bolt job.

Last edited by AlphaKennyBody; Feb 4, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Got pissed off and took the day off so I can take the bumper off and do it all over again

Well, it did install, and it also confirmed something else. These lip kits that claim you have to take out the front bumper? They basically make the lip kit smaller than what the bumper can tolerate, and it flexes the bumper inwards for a very, very tight fit. I had to re-drill a few holes because of that.

All I'm saying is, if it truly is a good fit, it shouldn't require the bumper to contour to the lip; rather, it should be the lip contouring to the bumper.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

hey end , i am with you on fitament of aftermarket lips.

did three different ones on my car and helped people with two others.

. . . . ALL had issues with fitting in different spots.

most times the cure was "way too much" high-bond double sided tape.

after that , they would look o.k. , but far from perfect.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Blacktop Aero varis-like lip. No removal required and it fit great.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed and removed a "LEGIT" JUN lip without having to remove the bumper. So unless you brought a knock-off with fitment issues then you might have to take the bumper off to install it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
I installed and removed a "LEGIT" JUN lip without having to remove the bumper. So unless you brought a knock-off with fitment issues then you might have to take the bumper off to install it.
Oh yeah, they were definitely knock-offs. I never said it wasn't I do have beef with them regardless because they always claim they're "perfect" or fitment is "awesome," and then you found out the kit shaved your paint off like a set of dry knee caps, or in my case, you find out you have to bend the bumper on a yoga mat to get it to "fit."

If only Ralliart makes a 2x2 twill front lip, I'd grab it at any cost. I've spent enough on the replica front lips to get a genuine one, after all. But they don't...so I've been stuck with replicas. *shrug*

Originally Posted by tkromer
I have the Blacktop Aero varis-like lip. No removal required and it fit great.
Been there, done that. Pinky-sized gaps on both sides near the wheel well. No one I pm'ed had a real solution, just "glue and tape," which is ridiculous. Some people may be fine with it and shrug it off, but I can't ignore that. Oh, and the kit i had chipped paint off near the grill area. Absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Feb 5, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:15 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
usually you have to trim a little bit