Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

CF hood question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CF hood question

Hey,

I'm interested in the seibon cw style hood for my X but was wondering if there are any out there who have a WW X with the hood on since I could not find many on google...

and also it would also be nice if any of you guys have the hood painted to match the car, also interested in seeing how it looks painted (any color, just wanted to get an idea of how the vents, curves, etc would look painted)

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would consider looking at a carbon by design cf hood, they have the same design but the quality and fitment is much better.
http://www.carbonbydesign.com/prodde...?prod=EVOXHOOD
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:16 PM

Hmm been reading up on some CBD hoods and people do say that it's better fitment and quality... but how's the pricing? Buying directly from CBD would be $900 shipped..
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:39 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoXSwimmer
Hmm been reading up on some CBD hoods and people do say that it's better fitment and quality... but how's the pricing? Buying directly from CBD would be $900 shipped..
Carbon Creations is better. I've compared them side by side, and, I repair carbon fiber stuff too and can tell you Carbon Creations is top notch stuff.

I just painted a CF hoodscoop to Phantom Black for RyanCB, it looks the same as any substrate really, it just sucks to paint on from the labor point of view.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:37 PM

I had a siebon hood a while ago. I wouldn't get one. It looks like **** in a few months. If I was you I would just do a carbon wrap
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:49 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoxrr
I had a siebon hood a while ago. I wouldn't get one. It looks like **** in a few months. If I was you I would just do a carbon wrap
i think they use tooling resin instead of epoxy, hence the yellowing. Tooling resin is cheap and strong, but it's not cosmetically good.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seibon is crap.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ikt
i think they use tooling resin instead of epoxy, hence the yellowing. Tooling resin is cheap and strong, but it's not cosmetically good.
not true...i've made carbon overlays with epoxy before, and it yellows all the same, even with UV protection. it doesn't haze up, at least. that's worse than yellowing.

anyway, this is just my opinion to the OP, but you really shouldn't go with any carbon fiber hoods. the aluminum hood is much, much lighter than any carbon fiber hood with a fiberglass core. if you're going for just looks, then by all means go with CBD, or JDM if you're ballin.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the input guys but I've decided to not go with a cf hood mainly because of the lack of weight savings and after talking with a few people I don't think that this is worth the investment at this point
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
not true...i've made carbon overlays with epoxy before, and it yellows all the same, even with UV protection. it doesn't haze up, at least. that's worse than yellowing.

anyway, this is just my opinion to the OP, but you really shouldn't go with any carbon fiber hoods. the aluminum hood is much, much lighter than any carbon fiber hood with a fiberglass core. if you're going for just looks, then by all means go with CBD, or JDM if you're ballin.
okay well i do it for a living and it doesn't. Absolutely not. You might have gotten a kit you were told was epoxy, but yellowing is from the polyester itself. Epoxy resin is very expensive, and it's a 2K that mixes 2:1. Polyresin is cheap, and it mixes around 50:1 with MEKP and smells like a meth lab :rofl: The hazing is from too much humidity in the air which causes a condition called amine glazing that doesn't get caught until later. A lot carbon is made in Southern China-guangzhou/lanzhou area. Summertime hoods look fine forever. Rainy season hoods? Turn yellow 6 months later. If it's supercheapo, it tooling resin which dries hard and fast and lasts forever-but it's yellow.

CBD fitment is poor, Carbon Creations, is great. I have a 5 year old hood and no yellow. I've repaired almost every major brand now. Seibon VG's are fine. APR stuff is all good. PWJDM is criminally bad. JDM brands-50/50. I've seen Voltex with pulled weaves and dirt in it on a shop car, and I've seen some that was gorgeous. Don't forget, there's a lot of fake stuff out there too Always buy from an authorized dealer to be safe.

I think people don't understand that carbon fiber has been in cars forever, all the C6 Z06's are carbon roofs for example, they just paint them. The rear end of a Boeing 747 is all carbon fiber, it's just ugly. Kayaks, canoes, and boats, are the #1 reason carbon fiber raw fabric even exist, or we'd all be stuck with pre-preg dry carbon and everything would look crappy. Also, carbon fiber is just fiberglass with carbon in it

One of these days I'll make a carbon fiber EDU/FAQ thread.

Last edited by ikt; Mar 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM.