Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Plasti-Dip...Yay or Nay??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti-Dip...Yay or Nay??

So,
I'm new to the forums and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but if it's not let me know. I'm also sure that this question has been asked before, but I can't find it so again bare with me. I've been researching plasti-dipped rims for a little bit now and seems like a good idea, however I've seen it done both on and off the car. It would seem like doing it on the car would be easier, but taking off the wheels would be a bit more thorough. Thoughts? Plastic bags vs. note cards? Also, when you plasti-dip does it also get all of the inside of the rim? In most videos I've seen it looks like it does, but i can't really tell. Please let me know what you think, and be nice...I just bought my 2014 Evo yesterday. Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'd take the rims off. Just to be on the safe side. Its how I've always painted my rims and always will its better safe then sorry and I hate overspray
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll get a lot neater/cleaner job if you take them off, but if you just plan on covering for one winter and peeling, the notecard method will do you just fine.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You can do the note card method but it is really a waste of time. The dip doesn't stick to the tire.

So when you're done itll peel right off the tires with ease while staying on the rim

Cool stuff
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I've done it many ways, note cards, trash bags, etc. I guess the quickest and easiest way is leaving it on, and stuffing newspaper or a trash bag behind the wheel to cover the brakes. I do, however, prefer taking them off to spray. Makes it much easier to get a nice even finish. As was said earlier, I don't use note cards anymore, as the dip is very easy to peel off the tire when you're done. Just make sure to get a nice 3-4 coats minimum.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:17 PM

Wheels off car to be more thorough.

Wheels on car to be slightly quicker about it. I mean how long does it really take to jack up a car and remove the wheels? Not very long.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

The dip WILL stick to your tires. They did to mine and was difficult to get off. However there is a quick solution. Armor-All your tires, that way it won't stick to your tires and you don't need to use note cards or anything!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have never seen dip "stick" to the tire. Usually it'll start to bubble right off the tire making for even easier peeling.

All the sets I've done the cars are washed and tires dressed regularly.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I used the note card method the first time and found that it prevented the dip fron getting on the edge of the wheel. I now just spray away and peel the excess off the tire afterwards. oh and wheels off the car for sure. so much easier to apply evenly and over spray is less of an issue

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest taking them off and using note cards. The dip did stick to my tires and it was not as easy to peel off as some people say. Also, i think you'll get a cleaner, more even finish by taking them off.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:00 PM
MD@
Evolving Member

It is quick to take the wheels off, even one at a time, to make the job much cleaner around the car.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:44 PM

Plasti dip the world!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:46 AM

dip

I've done several sets of wheels. Depending on the color contrast from the original rim color and the dip color makes the decision easy. If the contrast is way different then take the wheel off and spray both sides. The even coat makes it easier to take if off when ready. Its just as quick to pull the wheel as it is to mask off your car. If you spray while on the car and do the bag over the brakes then you deal with over spray in the wheel well. it also takes more effort to take the dip off the wheel later due to being on thin in the back. I use masking tape on the tire because I can tuck it between the wheel and tire to make it uniform. Haven't had much luck getting the stuff off of the tire. I don't armoral the tire because it breaks the rubber down and causes dry rot. People can't tell I dip my wheels. 3 even coats. Peeling it off is real easy.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:36 PM

speaking from experience, dont waste your time with the note cards, take the wheel off, let the can sit in some hot water (nothing crazy) and shake for about 30 seconds, and just spray. Spray right onto the wheel. the more you spray, the easier it will be to take off.
spraying inside the rim will actually make it look better!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:56 AM

plasti dip looks great when its done right