Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Speed Bleeders for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Speed Bleeders for Evo X

After replacing the stock lines with Goodridge SS lines from AMS I was thinking it sure would have been easier bleeding the brakes with Speed Bleeders in each caliper.

I spotted this thread in the Evo 1-9 forums:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=speed+bleeder

Can anyone confirm these part numbers also working on the Evo X? I'll check the Help section at Pep Boys later today and update what I find.

The clutch slave uses a longer one than the brake calipers, need 2 for each front caliper, 2 for each rear caliper so 8 Total for the Brakes and 1 for the Clutch Slave.

Brake bleeder spec: 10mm x 1.0 x 33mm (31mm will work also)
Pepboys #12706 $9.89/pair
NAPA #675-1570 $11.69/pair
Kragens #12706 $11.xx/pair
Speedbleeder #1010S $14.xx/pair

Clutch bleeder spec: 10mm x 1.0 x 35mm
Clutch Slave speed bleeder
Pepboys #12709 $9.89/pair
NAPA #675-1573 $11.xx/pair
Speedbleeder #1010 $14.xx/pair

Also I'm unsure of how much of a difference bleeding them with the engine on at idle would be compared to the car being off. At the time it was late at night and I didn't want to **** off the neighbors.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 3, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

I found some at Pep boys but they only had 2 packages. Instead of driving all over the city I bought the rest at http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/ where they were $7 each. BTW there is an Inner and Outer bleeder on both the front and rear Brembo brakes on our cars so you need 8 total.

Would still be nice if someone chimed in if running the car at idle while bleeding made a difference.

Also if someone has the proper order to bleed the brakes that would be nice to have all in one spot for reference too.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 3, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im running the pep boys speed bleeders 12709 on my X. No problems at all!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those only work a few times then they start to leak around the treads and become useless.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm going to be getting these soon.

Also what is this clutch slave bleeder? Where is it and what does it do?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Those only work a few times then they start to leak around the treads and become useless.
If you don't turn them more than a 1/4 turn they seem to last just fine. I guess if you bleed your brakes every two weeks that's why they sell the thread compound.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xbox4414

Also what is this clutch slave bleeder? Where is it and what does it do?
Under the stock airbox area on the front edge of the Transmission you will see the Clutch Slave Bleeder. It's part of the hydraulic clutch system that controls how fast the clutch can be engaged and released, often people remove the restricter or replace that section with a braided SS line to allow quicker action. Basically if you need to bleed the clutch due to air in the system, fluid contamination, or as part of a clutch replacement, the bleeder works similar to brakes where you normally have to pump the clutch pedal and have a friend open and close the valve to avoid letting air back in during the pumps. Of course you still need to top off the reservoir but it makes it a ton easier.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Under the stock airbox area on the front edge of the Transmission you will see the Clutch Slave Bleeder. It's part of the hydraulic clutch system that controls how fast the clutch can be engaged and released, often people remove the restricter or replace that section with a braided SS line to allow quicker action. Basically if you need to bleed the clutch due to air in the system, fluid contamination, or as part of a clutch replacement, the bleeder works similar to brakes where you normally have to pump the clutch pedal and have a friend open and close the valve to avoid letting air back in during the pumps. Of course you still need to top off the reservoir but it makes it a ton easier.
Oh wow I had no idea....do you have a pic of this? And where is the reservoir for this? What fluid and how often should you change it or what? LOL I guess I'm a noob to this clutch slave thing, haha.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

An alternative is to get a motive power bleeder which also makes it a one man job...
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xbox4414
Oh wow I had no idea....do you have a pic of this? And where is the reservoir for this? What fluid and how often should you change it or what? LOL I guess I'm a noob to this clutch slave thing, haha.
Like I said you don't have to change that fluid all that often unless there is a problem. On some cars they have seperate filler caps but it appears that the Evo X shares the same reservoir with the brakes.

Some pictures of what a typical clutch slave looks like:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=128340