Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo X brakes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy post stutter, Batman!

l8r)
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Ok Carlos, we heard you the first time!
Good info though.
Now it'd be interesting to know if they can be bolted up to the 8/9 cars
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:38 PM

lol, I just had a look at them at the mits dealer and they are massive!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Have you guys notice that the braking performance is not that great compared to STI, 335I, or G37? It must be the increased weight of the car.

60mph to 0 on EVO X is 112ft according to Edmunds, and STI does it in 106 ft. Definitely need to upgrade the pads and rotors.

One more thing....Compared to EVO IX, the brakes hold up better (less fade) according to Robi at Robispec. I had some Project Mu pads on my car and it made some improvement, but it was a little too squeaky for street driving.

Last edited by Jooyoung99; Feb 27, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add "one more thing"
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an effect of the weight of the car.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SoR
Now it'd be interesting to know if they can be bolted up to the 8/9 cars

Do tell....
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Have you guys notice that the braking performance is not that great compared to STI, 335I, or G37? It must be the increased weight of the car.

60mph to 0 on EVO X is 112ft according to Edmunds, and STI does it in 106 ft. Definitely need to upgrade the pads and rotors.

One more thing....Compared to EVO IX, the brakes hold up better (less fade) according to Robi at Robispec. I had some Project Mu pads on my car and it made some improvement, but it was a little too squeaky for street driving.
You just contradicted yourself, I think ... i.e. why would brakes with less fade need larger rotors?

In any case, I don't see how even better pads would help much, since I assume that the stock setup is strong enough to lockup the wheels. If you want shorter stopping distances, you'd have to start with better rubber or less weight.

l8r)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

"You just contradicted yourself, I think ... i.e. why would brakes with less fade need larger rotors?

In any case, I don't see how even better pads would help much, since I assume that the stock setup is strong enough to lockup the wheels. If you want shorter stopping distances, you'd have to start with better rubber or less weight."

Not necessarily a larger rotor. I said "upgraded rotors" not larger, like slotted two piece rotor setup with more aggressive track pads. Just because it lockup the wheels, it doesn't mean the brakes are strong, if what you said is true we should all get drum brakes front and back.

Last edited by Jooyoung99; Feb 27, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: original posting was just plain mean. Don't want to hurt any feelings.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ Don't worry about my feelings ... I've got pretty thick skin, although I do appreciate the gesture.

Drum brakes would work fine, I'm sure - aside from the fact that they are heavier, harder to maintain, and much harder to cool. I would like to hear your reasoning how better pads and rotors are going to shorten braking distances, given the same vehicle weight and tires. I've been tracking my stock Advans for quite a while and the only thing that upgraded pads and rotors have given me so far is better resistance to fade. My braking points have not significantly changed (and, yes, I do try pushing them at every track day I attend).

l8r)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with you that with stock tires, just upgrading the pads and rotors wouldn't significantly decrease stopping distance. Still, Aggressive track pads and lighter rotors (less rotating mass) do improve stopping distance. Honestly, can't say how much. Am I wrong? I'm not a regular track guy, but I do track my car once in a while, and having a more aggressive pads not only help reduce fade, but also help me reduce stopping distance IMO.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
I agree with you that with stock tires, just upgrading the pads and rotors wouldn't significantly decrease stopping distance. Still, Aggressive track pads and lighter rotors (less rotating mass) do improve stopping distance. Honestly, can't say how much. Am I wrong? I'm not a regular track guy, but I do track my car once in a while, and having a more aggressive pads not only help reduce fade, but also help me reduce stopping distance IMO.
Like it was said, only thing that would improve on braking distance is better/wider tires and less weight.
X brakes seem to be good enough as they are.
Wider stickier tires provide more friction, skid less and stop the heavy car quicker. It's simple physics. Easier to stop a lighter object than the heavy one (think car and train).

Better/bigger rotors help only when rotor is not cooled properly and loses its efficiency. Same with pads. Thick pad has more "capacity" than the worn out one. By having a harder (racing?) compound pad, it takes heat better and it wears less thus helping you with braking (on track). But those usually have a negative effect too, they need to warm up before providing optimal braking because otherwise they just slip :-)
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:03 PM

Larger rotors for certain. Our Evo8 discs are too damn thin/too small dia!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:04 PM

Tires are the main determining factor in stopping distances

RS29 Pagids I got from Craig at Rennstore - he said that once they are down to the last 25% to toss them.
Thermal capacity has been reduced to nothing and pad wear accelerates rapidly -
Old Mar 5, 2008, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dial911
Larger rotors for certain. Our Evo8 discs are too damn thin/too small dia!
if you do a stage 1 /or 2/ upgrades on your damn small factory brembos, you will be surprise the difference!
The pads, fluid, breaklines,/ rotors/ will do the job just fine. And when you will race the car and take out some wight , the difference will be even greater.
If you dont have sticky tires, doesn't matter wich break kit you have. So Upgrade your tires when you need a new one, and you will have a breaking monster. The factory brembos are damn good. The X needs biger breaks because of they weight. Also they better breaking compere to the IX, coming from the bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Evo X brakes