Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2 TPMS solutions. Use what ever wheels you want!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robi
yeah the mitsu system looks for a sensor on each wheel so just putting them together doesn't do it...

This pretty much strikes down the pip bomb method for 08+ Mitsus then. I was hoping to get around it this way.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, how the hell could Mitsubishi engineers be so stupid. I mean, seriously - this is a real half-*** design.

I looked at some things today and if I could find a TPMS sensor that broadcasts on 315Mhz (most of them in the US should) and that I can open up, it is possible that the ESN could be re-programmed to match that of your existing TPMS sensors.

That being said, if Schrader ever releases their EZ-sensor, which essentially a re-programmable TPMS sensor, it would accomplish this, and be much easier.

Yet a third option would be to simply cut the input signal from the pressure sensor in the TPMS transmitter itself (again, would need to be able to open one of these up per the above) and just put in a resistor to provide a constant voltage, and thus fake a valid/constant pressure to the transmitter regardless of where you put it. Ideally you could then place each sensor somewhere near the wheel, such as up in the wheel well, and everything would be fine.

One option that seems a bit more far fetched, but could potentially be the ideal option - we get enough people to put down a deposit and contact various aftermarket TPMS transmitter manufacturers and get them to create the above option #3 for us. It would be trivial for their engineers to do it, and if we could convince them of the wide appeal/demand for such "TPMS simulator" device, they may see it as a good business opportunity.

My two cents.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by onyx1121
Wow, how the hell could Mitsubishi engineers be so stupid. I mean, seriously - this is a real half-*** design.

I looked at some things today and if I could find a TPMS sensor that broadcasts on 315Mhz (most of them in the US should) and that I can open up, it is possible that the ESN could be re-programmed to match that of your existing TPMS sensors.

That being said, if Schrader ever releases their EZ-sensor, which essentially a re-programmable TPMS sensor, it would accomplish this, and be much easier.

Yet a third option would be to simply cut the input signal from the pressure sensor in the TPMS transmitter itself (again, would need to be able to open one of these up per the above) and just put in a resistor to provide a constant voltage, and thus fake a valid/constant pressure to the transmitter regardless of where you put it. Ideally you could then place each sensor somewhere near the wheel, such as up in the wheel well, and everything would be fine.

One option that seems a bit more far fetched, but could potentially be the ideal option - we get enough people to put down a deposit and contact various aftermarket TPMS transmitter manufacturers and get them to create the above option #3 for us. It would be trivial for their engineers to do it, and if we could convince them of the wide appeal/demand for such "TPMS simulator" device, they may see it as a good business opportunity.

My two cents.

It's against the law to alter the TPMS system or to disable it IIRC. TPMS were introduced under the Tread LAw or something along those lines.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:32 AM

Mitsu has thier tpms set up pretty much like any other manufacturer does. Audi just recently started using the ABS module instead of sensors in the tires. The ABS module records the rpm of each tire and compares it to set values that you create when you adapt the system after setting the pressure correctly. Works really well, and there are no TPM sensors to replace when the batteries in them die. I'm lucky enough to work at a dealer so I'm just gonna switch mine over.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
It's against the law to alter the TPMS system or to disable it IIRC. TPMS were introduced under the Tread LAw or something along those lines.
That's fine - so you are saying you can't disable the sensor, or set it to read some constant pressure. But i can surely take a second set of sensors and set them to use the same ESN's as the first set, so that the car does not recognize the difference between the two sets.

Originally Posted by F1312T4
I'm lucky enough to work at a dealer so I'm just gonna switch mine over.
I'm not sure what you mean. You mentioned Audi - do you drive an Audi that you plan on switching over? Or did I misunderstand; are you saying you are somehow going to switch over your ABS unit in your Evo X? That seems completely impossible, so I guess I am wondering how you would plan to do that.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F1312T4
Mitsu has thier tpms set up pretty much like any other manufacturer does. Audi just recently started using the ABS module instead of sensors in the tires. The ABS module records the rpm of each tire and compares it to set values that you create when you adapt the system after setting the pressure correctly. Works really well, and there are no TPM sensors to replace when the batteries in them die. I'm lucky enough to work at a dealer so I'm just gonna switch mine over.
What's the total cost for this? What's involved in doing the switch? Where can this be fitted?

If it's less expensive overall than buying a new set of TPMS and re-calibrating, then you could have a marketable product on your hands. Especially for those looking for a better solution out of the ridiculous TPMS juggling act.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

How about someone (i.e. Tephra) figures out how to disable the TPMS sensor in the ECU and you check your track tire pressures manually.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:54 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I'm an Audi tech, work at an Audi dealer. What I mean by switch things over is that I'll just remove my TPM sensors from one set of wheels and move them over to the other set, will take me 20 minutes max. As far as Audi's new TPM technology incorporating the ABS module, its very new, 09 models were the first to get it and not all models have it. A4's and A6's only I believe. Audi's ABS module is a bosch unit, pretty much everyone and their brother uses bosch for ABS / Stability management. If bosch is developing the technology it should be available to all manufacturers. It's extremely simplistic compared to the alternative, you have no battery powered TPM sensors that can go bad or be broken by tire shops. You have no signal wires to go bad, you have no dedicated control module to malfunction. It makes a lot of sense to just code in the the extra job on a module that already records the needed information. Hopefully everyone switches to this style in the near future, very cost effective.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

A bit of an update: I was told by Discount Tire in Phoenix Arizona that they would re-program the TPMS for free. I mentioned that I understood doing this when getting tires mounted, but that my tires would last me more than one season (I have summer and will be buying winter for when I move to Chicago); he said no problem, they do it for free, and that I should just come in. They carry the Bartec 400+ computer that is able to do this.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^

It's what we use at my work.

Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'll just have to look at the damn light all day long... Can't be bothered with this TPMS crap. Such a useless thing. Evo is a high maintenance vehicle that requires to be somewhat of a driver. If you can't feel a tire pressure low and aren't checking your pressures often enough, you shouldn't be driving a car with so much power in the first place because you're a hazard to the people around you.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

I emailed the people at Schrader International to get some information about their EZ sensor. I did this months ago and never got a reply, hopefully this time they will notice my email.

I have photos of my OEM TPMS I was hoping to use the EZ sensor with my winter wheels.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 03:13 PM

Federally mandated, have to have it. I'm sure Mitsu would have def left it out of production if they weren't required to have it. I hate it because I have to deal with idiot customers who don't know what to do when the light comes on, or are too lazy to put air in their tires themselves... frustrating.

Originally Posted by Toxin
I guess I'll just have to look at the damn light all day long... Can't be bothered with this TPMS crap. Such a useless thing. Evo is a high maintenance vehicle that requires to be somewhat of a driver. If you can't feel a tire pressure low and aren't checking your pressures often enough, you shouldn't be driving a car with so much power in the first place because you're a hazard to the people around you.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Will discount tire reprogram them or do we have to go to the stealership?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
call me picky but i'd rather just install the sensors in my new wheels and tires and if i need to switch back long term, i'd just switch them back. OR buy a whole new set and have them in both sets of wheels
Thats what im goin to do.Im buyin a new set of sensors

Quick Reply: 2 TPMS solutions. Use what ever wheels you want!