Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2 TPMS solutions. Use what ever wheels you want!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 TPMS solutions. Use what ever wheels you want!

I posted this in another thread but felt it deserved one of its own.

I gleaned these from a another Lexus club member, but they should work with little to no modification.

There are 2 ways around this.

The simplest method is the zip tie method. The sensors work on pressure applied to the unit while it is inside the wheel. Simply remove the units from the wheels, put a plastic spacer in between and zip tie them together. You will need to do this quite tight to fool them into thinking there is enough pressure being applied. Simply throw them in the glove box, trunk, etc.

The other method takes longer to fabricate, but is easier to regulate the proper pressure. Basically, you make a pipe bomb for the sensors.

You will need:

12" X 3" PVC pipe
2 X 3" PVC end caps
PVC pipe glue
3M double side tape (foam type)
I believe it is a 3/8 in drill bit and drill

Glue one end cap to the pipe.
Using foam tape, attach 3 sensors inside the tube (taped so they will not rattle around).
Drill hole in other end cap.
Insert last sensor in the the hole in the end cap. Reattach hardware so it is sealed.
Glue end cap onto pipe.
Let dry over night.

Inflate to proper amount and hide in trunk.

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

DANG... good to know! you should have this posted in the HOW TO section...
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

HOT!!!! this is the kind of nubees this forum needs!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lolers... i want a pipe bomb in my trunk too. Where do I light the fuse?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I bust wheels down all day with TPMS sensors. For those customers of ours that really want the TPMS system to work with after market wheels, and do not provide adequate mounting solutions in the wheel...

We simply (with customers permission of course) remove the stem part from the transmitter and "Gorilla Tape" it to the inside of the rim.

I have done this to S550's, AUDI's etc. with no ill effects.

Just be sure to mount the tire with the sensor at the six o clock position from the mounting arm and the tire will slip right over the sensor with out touching it.

Last edited by revvin9k; Mar 9, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

its not the problem with having them in the wheel. its having install after you get new wheels. a tire place was going to charge me $350 to put the tpms on the new wheel. if i have the wheel/tire mounting equipment i would do it myself.

anywho thats a good idea about taping them together and sticking them in the trunk. my question is do u have to do that for all 4 tpms?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
its not the problem with having them in the wheel. its having install after you get new wheels. a tire place was going to charge me $350 to put the tpms on the new wheel. if i have the wheel/tire mounting equipment i would do it myself.

anywho thats a good idea about taping them together and sticking them in the trunk. my question is do u have to do that for all 4 tpms?
I re read it and understood.

But, even if you get an after market wheel, they can still be taped to the inside of the wheel and still work. I only recommend using Gorilla duct tape.

I guess your right though, not so convenient for people w/ out the equipment to do it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

call me picky but i'd rather just install the sensors in my new wheels and tires and if i need to switch back long term, i'd just switch them back. OR buy a whole new set and have them in both sets of wheels
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
call me picky but i'd rather just install the sensors in my new wheels and tires and if i need to switch back long term, i'd just switch them back. OR buy a whole new set and have them in both sets of wheels
+1
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
and for your second set of racing wheels? by installing them in your car you have total flexability...lol I just don't know how we survived without these....all those years of driving
Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Our TPMS sensors dont look like that. I have a feeling the pipe bomb method might work for us though, but the zip-tie method wont for sure.

Sorry about the iphone pics, but this is all i have right now.

The valve stem

View of it when mounted on wheel

In this next picture, you can see what looks to be a hole for the presure sensor.... I think. This is the sensor off the wheel obviously.

The back of it. Nothing but a rubber coating
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:53 AM

why won't the zip-tie method work? That large surface area is likely the piezo transducer that needs to be "squished"...

However, I wonder if the pressure sensors also alert to over-pressure situations, in which the zip tie method may be a bit finicky if the ties are too tight/loose.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

"No, officer, that's to fool my factory tire pressure monitoring system."
Old Mar 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Interestingly enough, I removed my TPMS sensors and nothing happened for a few days. Then, all of a sudden, the light came on and gave me the "Service Required" notification in the HUD. No idea why it took so damn long.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Interestingly enough, I removed my TPMS sensors and nothing happened for a few days. Then, all of a sudden, the light came on and gave me the "Service Required" notification in the HUD. No idea why it took so damn long.
What are you going to do about it? Try the pipe bomb trick for all of us

Quick Reply: 2 TPMS solutions. Use what ever wheels you want!