Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Update on Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Tires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Tires

Hello folks been a while since I updated a post on these tires. They are the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1. Purchased through Discount Tire for $135 a tire, which included lifetime balacing, rotations and mounting. The tires now how about 10,000 miles on them so I feel this will be a better review. First, after 10K miles, I am almost on the tread wear indicatiors so don't expect long tread life. You expect that anyway due to the type of tire, plus it carries a 200 treadwear and a A A rating. Initially the tires were very responsive compared to the Advans, I would say on par with the OEM tires, but and I say BUT I noticed under moderate to severe braking my ABS kicked in more often than with the ADVANS. Secondly, when hiting my favorite S curves in my area back roads, the Dunlops felt like they were glued to the road, but maybe too much glue, as the car seemed to feel like initially it would sqirm and catch itself. Now you could just let off the gas, let the car correct itself, but that would be the right thing to do, me? I hit the gas and held my breath. The Evo AWD and 3 difs do all the work for you, and even though the car drifted slightly, you never felt like you were losing control at anytime. I also found these tires DO NOT like smooth asphalt. near my house there was a new street pathed with black asphalt, as I took the corner into the development going faster than I should as I always do, the car almost went into the curb! I hit the same patch with worn out advans and it stuck. High speed stability is also good, I had the car up to triple digits speeds and it was stable with no concerns. These tires are NOISY. When new they were noisy, wearing noisy and still are noisy vs. the OEM set up, and I am running the stock size. So, bottom line is, the tire costs a third of the price over the OEM set up, and for the $$$ I think they are great, but you also pay for what you get. You pay less, you GET Less. I find there are probably a better buy out there, but these tires are not Bad, I just won't buy them again.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Great review, been following it when you post, now you need to try the RE-01R's and report back so I know which tire 'FIRST-HAND' are better in real life situations .
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

I agree The Bridgesones R-01's are my next ticket.........I will keep you posted guys.........
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I had great results with the BFG G force T/A KDW 2 , price is fare. maybe a little tire squirm in the beginning but they lasted 15,000 compared to about 7,000 for the advans. I went with a slightly wider tire and sidewall so they were a little softer over bumps. I would buy these again if I didnt find something better for the price. I do hear the R1 are good.