Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Beware of stock pads...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of stock pads...

.....and 30 minute track sessions! Haha The stock brakes (pads, rotors etc.) have been perfect at all the events so far this year. Until Monday, every session on track has been 20 mins or less, but on Monday at the AMS Track day @ Autobahn, we were running 30 minute sessions.

Everything was going very well, pads had more than 1/2 life left before tech in the morning, no brake fade (running Motul RBF600 fluid) and the pad was firm the entire session, until the last lap of the 2nd session. I could smell the brakes cooking so I started to let up, but as I braked for a turn, the pedal was gone. I had to pump it a few times, I thought it was just some boiled fluid, so I pulled off and pitted. I had a look at the passenger side brakes and saw there were major problems, I dont have any pics from the day of the event, so here are some from last night:

Grooved rotor:

Passenger side pad/backing plate/shield:

No more pad material

Backside of pad:

Steel backing plate, not Ti:

Comparison:

Pad from other side of caliper:

As of now, I am just having the front rotor turned, and going to run my Raybestos pads and flush in some fresh fluid. I am waiting for the X version of my package from Girodisc: http://girodisc.com/catalog/product_...roducts_id=239 Oh well, thought maybe some of you X owners might find this intersting. I think the pad just got past its thermal capacity and fell apart, so much for good stock brakes

Ryan
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

This is why all of my vehicles that are tracked are equipped with Stoptech BBKs Only... those blackbos look hiddeous
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I thought that the OEM pads were bad for track days on any Evo? 8s and 9s had the same issue if I'm not mistaken.

But man...you obliterated those brakes lol!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
I thought that the OEM pads were bad for track days on any Evo? 8s and 9s had the same issue if I'm not mistaken.
exactly, if you plan on hitting a trackday with practically any road car, swapping out the OEM pads is a given.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

that happended to my rear rotors
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold up....you've been running stock pads this whole time? Okay, now I don't wanna know what you'll be running at Gateway with REAL brakes.....good god...
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
Silver Sponsor

We had the same issue on our 08 STi. But switched to a BBK before it got to this point.
These cars are big and heavy, and even though the OEM Brembo Brakes are nice. By no means are they suited for racing on cars as heavy as the new EVO X or STi.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be sure to always bring another set of pads with me!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4

But man...you obliterated those brakes lol!
The stock brakes had been great up to this point, very surprising.
Originally Posted by RichC
exactly, if you plan on hitting a trackday with practically any road car, swapping out the OEM pads is a given.
I would normally agree with that, but the X stock brakes are VERY capable. I had 13 events on the stock pads/rotors and there was at least 1/2 life left in the pad, before this happened.
Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Hold up....you've been running stock pads this whole time? Okay, now I don't wanna know what you'll be running at Gateway with REAL brakes.....good god...
Ya, sorry to disappoint you.....
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
We had the same issue on our 08 STi. But switched to a BBK before it got to this point.
These cars are big and heavy, and even though the OEM Brembo Brakes are nice. By no means are they suited for racing on cars as heavy as the new EVO X or STi.
I agree, but if someone was just doing 5 lap time attacks, they would be fine, and have been for me. They just don't last for a full 30 min session, at least for me driving the car.

Ryan
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you miraculously got some good track laps with those stockers'. Now your rotors are F'd and will be thinner/hotter after a 'turn..

I gotta' say that the very first time I hit the brakes during a test drive I knew the stock pads didn't belong on a track. Even after several heat cycles they were sucky and unresponsive. I'm sure everyone here will agree they are weak compared to a good set of pads, lines and fluid
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

dayum that caliper is black as fu*k!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

The thinner the pad, the more heat gets transferred to the caliper. The effect is exaggerated when using just the backing plates.

Evo brakes generally do not wear evenly on both sides of the caliper, so it is important to check the outside and the inside.

Having half the pad material left doesn't mean having half the useful track life left. This is especially the case for street pads which already operate at or beyond the top of their heat range on the track. Repeated braking from high speed demands a huge amount of heat dissipation, and it is vital not only to have enough wear surface, but enough material to absorb then dissipate heat between braking events without transferring it to the calipers, and then the brake lines.

It seems to me those calipers were doomed the minute it was decided to start a track day on worn pads regardless of the length of the sessions, as the pads likely had half the material left on the outside, significantly less than half on the inside, and possibly 1/3 to 1/8 of their useful life remaining at anywhere near the performance level possible for the first half of the wear. It's not great to start a track day with half-word track pads, let alone stockers.

It is important to check the pad wear between sessions, especially when it is known they are nearing the end of their service life. High-speed braking performance degradation is not linear, and the curve depends on a lot of different variables.

Glad you are using your X in its element!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
dayum that caliper is black as fu*k!
Yeah man are those the stock calipers? Mine are red.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the heads up.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Revox
Yeah man are those the stock calipers? Mine are red.
Yes those are stock. They used to be red, but he got them a little hot and they discolored

Quick Reply: Beware of stock pads...