Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What experience with stock tires

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What experience with stock tires

After the first track event the stock tires are gone???
The car is just 2000 miles.
I used the car to go back and force to work which means mostly highway driving.
So the tires were at 80% or more of thread before the going to the track.
I did not go easy, but after 55 miles of track they are gone.
I cannot say if this comes from the car setting or the tires but I am very disapointed.
I used to track a vette which weigh the same using 50% worn slick tires (I bought them used) I get at least 100 miles or more per tires.

My question for those that already have changed their tires:
Does it come for the car beeing a too soft suspension?
Sway bar? the car does not turn flat at all.
The car alignement? I don't think so as the tires are worn evenly I will even say may be a little bit more in the middle.
Does those tires use a too soft compound.
In my opinion a harder compound with more rubber (less opening for water ) should ba as good?
Old May 20, 2008, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally am not a huge fan of the stock tires, and yes they wear easy.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:50 AM

what did you change them for?
Old May 20, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

I am in the exact same boat as you. I do SCCA and after 3 events my tires are gone also. I actually broke 2000 miles on the way home from the last event.....I think the ticket for me is going to be for me to buy some really cheap high mileage tires and put them on the stock rims. Then buy another set of rims and pt some slicks on them and call it aday. I could still use the cheap tires for drag racing.(as long as I get a high enough speed rating) as I am only going in a straight line. and the slicks for the turns in SCCA.
Old May 20, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by RKT SHP
I am in the exact same boat as you. I do SCCA and after 3 events my tires are gone also. I actually broke 2000 miles on the way home from the last event.....I think the ticket for me is going to be for me to buy some really cheap high mileage tires and put them on the stock rims. Then buy another set of rims and pt some slicks on them and call it aday. I could still use the cheap tires for drag racing.(as long as I get a high enough speed rating) as I am only going in a straight line. and the slicks for the turns in SCCA.
I will check how much are the BF goodridge
honestly for the money they are not that bad
Old May 24, 2008, 07:03 PM

Smile A - Daily Driver Tire suggeston.

I have had these tires ( see link below) for about a year now and they have been great. The wear rating , the size selection, and the performance have all been great also for the Money. Cheaper than the B.F. Goodrich tires too!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP
Old May 24, 2008, 07:19 PM

my 2 cents...

The stock advans are great, but yes they wear quick in the realm of daily driving. My evo is the only car i own i burned through the stock tires in 12.5k. I never tracked the car just a little spirited driving from time to time. I will not get the advans again because to me they are just not worth it, and yeah they are borderline dangerous in the winter but hey if you got the money go for it they are great tires
Old May 30, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have any track days on mine, but I do have 5 auto x events. I run pretty low pressures in the front and it eats more sidewall than most guys would like but other than that they are holding up great. I would bet I have another 10 or more events in them no problem.

EVOs eat tires, especially fronts. Get used to it
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'm currently at 4,600 mi on my X. I've done 2 track days, and 3-autoX events. The front tires have very low tread. Unfortunately, I did not rotate my oem tires. I might be able to do another autoX with a rotation, but even that is pushing it.

Overall I think the oem tires held well as far as performance goes. I got a 1:31:98 at 'streets of willow'. they were predictable and consistent. I likened to keep the hot temps at 31. Tires didn't seem to last too long, but wern't unreasonable either given the abuse.

my main complaint is price and size availability. it's expensive at $300/tire via tirerack. They also don't stock anything other than the oem 245/40/18 size. In comparison, a set of Dunlop Z1's Star Specs (had good experience with them on my FA civic si) will cost around $180/tire. Either way, its going to be expensive to replace 2 A13's or all 4 tires w/ the Z1's. If anyone is selling a used pair or set of 4 of the A13's, pls let me know

Will be interesting to see if I can best (or worsen) my 1:31:98 time there with the Dirrezzas or any other tire that eventually replaces the stock A13's

Last edited by ronmcdon; Jun 1, 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:04 PM

Just to add about the alignment, yes I agree you get a lot of wear in the middle of the front tires. Typical to oem alignment setups, the wear is also a lot more on the outside of the tires. The car definitely could benefit from added neg camber, at least as far as tire wear goes.