Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS cost $90 per piece!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in a dealership as a tech assistant so let me clear this up for you all. New TPMS sensors or TPMS sensors that have been moved away from the vehicle for either extended periods of time or an extended distance from the vehicle will need to be "registered". Dealerships have a special scan tool called the "TPMS Scan Tool" that we plug into the DLC (Data Link Connector/ OBDII Connector) that tells us the temperature, pressure, location, speed, etc. of each wheel. If these sensors read 0's across the board or are misreading such as it says "10psi" when we know it has well over 20 psi than we have to register all sensors. This process only takes less than 5 minutes but the dealership will obviously make all the money they can off you.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by EvoDream05
I work in a dealership as a tech assistant so let me clear this up for you all. New TPMS sensors or TPMS sensors that have been moved away from the vehicle for either extended periods of time or an extended distance from the vehicle will need to be "registered". Dealerships have a special scan tool called the "TPMS Scan Tool" that we plug into the DLC (Data Link Connector/ OBDII Connector) that tells us the temperature, pressure, location, speed, etc. of each wheel. If these sensors read 0's across the board or are misreading such as it says "10psi" when we know it has well over 20 psi than we have to register all sensors. This process only takes less than 5 minutes but the dealership will obviously make all the money they can off you.
Thanks for this info.

So as someone looking at aftermarket wheels and probably a summer / winter wheel/tire swap once a year can I conclude that the options are to:

A) buy second set of tpms sensors and have each set of wheels "registered" 2X a year
B) buy some sort of adapter to move the original sensors between wheels which would seem to negate the need to re-register but might be a real pain
C) Live with the serivce light on the screen (not very desirable really)

Now if one were just getting aftermarket wheels but didnt need to swap summer / winter then I assume moving the original TPMS or buying a second set from Mitsubishi would require a one time set-up.

Since a lot of people seem to have aftermarket rims I'm curious what people are doing in practice for this problem.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by toro10
Now if one were just getting aftermarket wheels but didnt need to swap summer / winter then I assume moving the original TPMS or buying a second set from Mitsubishi would require a one time set-up.
^^ would like to know if that is true as I would fall into that category.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the story...

I swap sensors for our customers at my work during season changes. They want the blingy rims for their MB's, or BMW's and DO NOT want the dreaded TPMS light on in their car. I have NEVER had an issue mounting a TPMS sensor in an aftermarket rim/tire combo since I have been working here.

We had a customer with a S600 and his sensors WOULD NOT fit due to the design of the wheel. With permission from the customer, I Gorilla glued the sensor(minus the stem) to the inside of the wheel. He never had an issue.

They always need to be recalibrated though. Our tool to recalibrate the sensors is made by Bartec. I believe it's the Bartec 400 Plus IIRC.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

all you need to do to calibrate them is get a circular magnet with a hole thru the middle of it. Then place that magnet on the valve stem for about 10-30 seconds (time varies) and repeat for each wheel. I dont believe you need the scan tool to do it.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
all you need to do to calibrate them is get a circular magnet with a hole thru the middle of it. Then place that magnet on the valve stem for about 10-30 seconds (time varies) and repeat for each wheel. I dont believe you need the scan tool to do it.
That is the case with the early model TPMS sensors. An example would be the early model Vettes. You need a magnet in conjuction with the reset tool. i'll take home the one we have here at work and take pics when I get home. A magnet is included with this kit.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Tire Rack has the same 35 megahertz tps sensors that will work for the Evo X for $210.00. Afterwards you have to go to the dealer and they will charge $75.00 to calibrate it. So you're looking at $285.00. Hope that helps!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

has anybody try just going to a regular tire shop that has the tools for TMPS instead of going to the dealer
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Discount Tire has the tool to reset the TPMS sensors. It's free to do if you buy the tires from them. The sensors are available for about $210-$220 a set of 4. NOt horrible.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

the question I have is, does resetting the tpms fix the CEL? Or do you actually need you edu updated to work with the new sensors
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

want to know this as well as i really want to know if the tire shop near my house can do this. i will call them tomorrow.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you guys ask and see if said reset tool can be implemented via EVOSCAN?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:53 PM

I've had lousy luck with the tire shops around here. They all seem to have circa 2006 TPMA machines which can reset the individual sensors but not the central unit, which means they can't put the central unit into learn mode, to find the new sensors. I've just been living with the light, which I will fix eventually. Unfortunately, none of the cheap tools can reset, I'd pay $400 - $500 for the tool and then charge people $25 to reset, but I can't even find them that cheap! the good ones that I know can fix this seem to be in the $1500 range, which would take a long time to recoup, even at $75 a shot.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by funks
Why don't you guys ask and see if said reset tool can be implemented via EVOSCAN?
I don't see why this couldn't be, since you plug into the OBD-2 port to put the central TPMS unit into learn mode...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP45
Can you take the factory sensors off and mount them to an aftermarket rims? If so do you need to have them recalibrated?
yes...that's what i did to my wife's evo x no re-calibration needed

Quick Reply: TPMS cost $90 per piece!!!