Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotora BBK, Girodisc has them. Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there should be no doubt the Tech is behind them. Sorry I cant drop 4Gs today , if I am lucky maybe tomorrow.

sweet nibblets
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cow town racer
This is a ridiculous statement, technically these brakes should stop you like you had no business moving in the first place. 6 piston calipers are as big as alot of supercars use. I'm not saying that this kit is necessary, especially for the price, but to say that your 4 piston calipers are going to preform as well as these with pads and fluid is a gross misstatement.
Actually.....it's not a ridiculous statement at all. Technically you can't say one thing or another about how the brakes stop until you look at the details, not the pretty pictures.

Tires stop the car. Think about it.....if you can lock up the tires with the stock brakes, what will bigger brakes do for you? It's just more braking power that you can't really use. Yes you have a bigger heat sink and can resist fade better, but you're probably not gonna brake any shorter.

The BEST kits....with properly sized pistons and extensive testing reduce stopping distances by MAYBE a couple of feet. This is done by shifting brake bias a bit, different for every car.

On the other hand, take a stock EVO X and add r-comp tires in the OEM size and you'll stop quite a bit shorter.

I've seen many kits that have FAR worse stopping distances then stock, even though they used 6 pistons or 8 pistons or whatever. This is because the engineers (ha!) did not give a crap about brake bias, piston size, etc. They're just big *** brakes that look cool, and shift way too much bias frontward and lengthen stopping distances.

Seriously. It happens. People love their BBK and think they're stopping super fast, but they're not. Shifting the brake bias forward makes the nose pitch forward heavily, making you think you dropped an anchor and are stopping extra quick, but you're not. If you watch Porsches and BMW's at the track....they almost squat under braking. Big difference.

- Andrew
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vostok 7
+1. I have Rotora's 6-piston front 4-piston rear kit on my IX and it's crazy how fast it'll stop you. I have to really watch how hard I hit the pedal because if I'm not careful it'll stop you a little TOO fast

Now, my dad has a Rotora 6-piston 4-piston kit on his Z06 (which is virtually the same as stock, I believe the stock rotors are a tiny bit smaller) and on a track test the Rotora outperformed the stock Z06 brakes just slightly.

- Patrick
I'm inclined to agree with Gary here. Pedal feel is not the same as stopping distance.

Originally Posted by GarySheehan
If you added front bias because the pistons are too big, it will definitely FEEL like it's braking harder, because the nose will dive down more. If the pistons are sized correctly, the simple fact that you've got much better pedal feel can make it feel like you're stopping considerably harder.

Consider this. Decreasing stopping distance from 60-0mph by 6-10 feet with a brake upgrade is considered a MAJOR improvement over stock in the braking industry. I'm not sure that anyone can feel that difference. So when people say their brakes stop so much harder than stock and they haven't upgraded tires, the first thing I think of is too much front bias.

The only way to significantly decrease your stopping distance is to put stickier tires on the car or drastically increase downforce. Period. Anyone that tells you otherwise is is lying to you or doesn't know what they are talking about.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
And on Stoptech's site....the first thing they say about brake systems:
1) The brakes don't stop the vehicle - the tires do. The brakes slow the rotation of the wheels and tires. This means that braking distance measured on a single stop from a highway legal speed or higher is almost totally dependent upon the stopping ability of the tires in use - which, in the case of aftermarket advertising, may or may not be the ones originally fitted to the car by the OE manufacturer.
I'm not knocking Rotora or anything here....i'm sure they are great. I have heard good things about their materials but am not familiar with their vane design. I just get tired of seeing misinformation spread so often. And seeing people look at pictures of huge brakes and saying "OOOHHHH those must stop so fast!!!"

Buy a big brake kit for car shows, or if you really have exceeded the heat capacity of the already awesome EVO X brakes. Don't buy them to stop shorter. This goes for Rotora or Stoptech or AP or Brembo or Alcon. That's all i'm saying.

In their defense they didn't make any claims themselves about shorter stopping distances so that's good. And they did say they retained close to stock brake bias so that's good too.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jun 12, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well put Andrew!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Actually.....it's not a ridiculous statement at all. Technically you can't say one thing or another about how the brakes stop until you look at the details, not the pretty pictures.

Tires stop the car. Think about it.....if you can lock up the tires with the stock brakes, what will bigger brakes do for you? It's just more braking power that you can't really use. Yes you have a bigger heat sink and can resist fade better, but you're probably not gonna brake any shorter.

The BEST kits....with properly sized pistons and extensive testing reduce stopping distances by MAYBE a couple of feet. This is done by shifting brake bias a bit, different for every car.

On the other hand, take a stock EVO X and add r-comp tires in the OEM size and you'll stop quite a bit shorter.

I've seen many kits that have FAR worse stopping distances then stock, even though they used 6 pistons or 8 pistons or whatever. This is because the engineers (ha!) did not give a crap about brake bias, piston size, etc. They're just big *** brakes that look cool, and shift way too much bias frontward and lengthen stopping distances.

Seriously. It happens. People love their BBK and think they're stopping super fast, but they're not. Shifting the brake bias forward makes the nose pitch forward heavily, making you think you dropped an anchor and are stopping extra quick, but you're not. If you watch Porsches and BMW's at the track....they almost squat under braking. Big difference.

- Andrew
I'm obviously not going to argue with you as it is clear you are more rehersed in the matter, but what I am going to say is that the majority of people who will purchase this kit are probably going to go beyond all stock aspects of the car, and it is my belief that the that these individuals are going to surpass the abilities of the stock brakes.

That being said, there is absolutely no proof these brakes are more capable or even as capable as the stock set up. However, if they were designed properly, which they probably were (or will be), they have the potential to add braking power for those individuals who will need it.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only a week left. We have weight of all the stock VS Rotora components that we'll be poasting shortly.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We took weights of the Rotora kit VS. OE GSR for you all and I think you will be quite surprised.

Enjoy!

So to recap. (Note, that these are 355mm Rotors and the Calipers have 2 extra pistons in them)

Front Rotor:
Stock: 24 lbs
Rotora: 17.5 lbs

Rear Rotor:
Stock: 18.5 lbs
Rotora: 19 lbs

Front Caliper:
Stock: 11.5 lbs
Rotora: 11.5 lbs

Rear Caliper:
Stock: 5.5 lbs
Rotora: 8.5 lbs

Johann @ Girodisc
Old Jul 5, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

looks great
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

That's just awesome.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Nice.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone on the kit already?
How does it compare to the stock? Track & daily drive.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have the kit. They work GREAT!!! The braking is just amazing compared to stock. I can't wait to get an alignment and take it to the track.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by danielskshin
I have the kit. They work GREAT!!! The braking is just amazing compared to stock. I can't wait to get an alignment and take it to the track.
Thks for your info.
I'm having problem with the delivery of the BBK I ordered so I'm looking for alternative.
Price is very attractive but my primary concerns are performance & durability.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
The drop in unsprung weight coupled with a nice set of forged wheels AND some nice R-compounds would be awesome!!

As Andrew said, it really DOES depend on the tires though.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

those weights aren't bad at all for a 355mm kit.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Rotora BBK, Girodisc has them. Pics inside!