Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lowering Springs vs. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Andrew, why you dont compere the cheap springs vs cheap coil overs?
That would be fair doesn't it? Garbage is garbage.

The cheap spring are blowing shocks, horrible ride quality, horrible handling, etc Makes more problem then good.

I do understand you want to sell, but a fact is a fact, the coilovers are BETTER then springs , period.
No need to miss lead the new guys in here. Besides the fact, i wanna know those newbie guys who running over 20 minutes at a time on track constantly, and complaining for the coilovers over heating...
Since who need answer on this probably a newbie. And those who are running on track over 20 minutes, they are NOT using springs over coilovers.

I will not go into argument on this because it is almost stupid.
You're right. Crappy springs are worse then crappy coilovers. That test would be hilarious though.

But you're making it seem like the worst coilover is "better" then the best springs. And that's just not true.

Anyway, ask SmikeEVO if coilovers are better...he'll disagree with you as he ran Megan Tracks and switched to Swifts + Bilstein HDs and hasn't looked back.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=337211

Even if the Megans were faster around a track, the trade off with ride quality wasn't worth it for him.

So for him, the coilovers were not better. Either way, he's been doing just fine this season at his local autocrosses with "just" springs.

Basically....different people are looking for different things. I don't want newbies to think coilovers are the ultimate solution for every single EVO owner 100% of the time, no matter what coilover. That's definitely not true.

Not trying to mislead anyone....just telling people to do some of their own research. That's all.

- andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jul 30, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Makes sense to me.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
You're right. Crappy springs are worse then crappy coilovers. That test would be hilarious though.

But you're making it seem like the worst coilover is "better" then the best springs. And that's just not true.

Anyway, ask SmikeEVO if coilovers are better...he'll disagree with you as he ran Megan Tracks and switched to Swifts + Bilstein HDs and hasn't looked back.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=337211

Even if the Megans were faster around a track, the trade off with ride quality wasn't worth it for him.

So for him, the coilovers were not better. Either way, he's been doing just fine this season at his local autocrosses with "just" springs.

Basically....different people are looking for different things. I don't want newbies to think coilovers are the ultimate solution for every single EVO owner 100% of the time, no matter what coilover. That's definitely not true.

Not trying to mislead anyone....just telling people to do some of their own research. That's all.

- andrew

"But you're making it seem like the worst coilover is "better" then the best springs. And that's just not true."

nope i did not, i said the garbage is a garbage.
I meant from both side.
I would like to see that test too/ worst vs worst/ would be fun alright
Ricer on the roll

but a decent coilovers, will out perform any spring, unless you build your own like springs and Bilstein HD . And if you even have your own camber plates installed too...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 31, 2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the ultimate point of this thread is that the majority of Evo owners really have no need or business modifying their suspension. "Better" in terms of setup is often subjective as intended purpose plays a huge roll in someone's choice of suspension. I also think that many people here modifying their suspensions, even with expensive coilovers, aren't necessarily building cars that handle better but are, in fact, far more concerned with the poseur aspect in terms of the aesthetics and bragging rights that come associated with said suspension.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I think the ultimate point of this thread is that the majority of Evo owners really have no need or business modifying their suspension. "Better" in terms of setup is often subjective as intended purpose plays a huge roll in someone's choice of suspension. I also think that many people here modifying their suspensions, even with expensive coilovers, aren't necessarily building cars that handle better but are, in fact, far more concerned with the poseur aspect in terms of the aesthetics and bragging rights that come associated with said suspension.
yep. And some do excessive modification on the suspension set up , and never see a track. That is why i do think if someone goes for looks or light tracking , the good springs will do. But over that the coilvers a way to go.
Now everybody needs to be honest them self and think it thru, DO i will go the 3 times a year on track? If i dont, why i need the coilovers? I can spend that money for let say , achieving more reliable whp.
The evo as a factory car, out handles almost everything you come a cross on the street , if you put more stickier tires on it.
Also most of the times actually the Evo knows more then it's own driver.

So there is a point to get a spring over the coil overs.

BUT BUT , the serius guys or anyone who planning more spirited driving and track days , the coil overs and sticky tires a must.
You can out run /even if you dont bealive me/ most of the track almost everything with factory whp and lighter car, with coilovers and tires.
Yes the Evo is that good.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 31, 2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

yep. And some do excessive modification on the suspension set up , and never see a track. That is why i do think if someone goes for looks or light tracking , the good springs will do. But over that the coilvers a way to go.
Now everybody needs to be honest them self and think it thru, DO i will go the 3 times a year on track? If i dont, why i need the coilovers? I can spend that money for let say , achieving more reliable whp.
The evo as a factory car, out handles almost everything you come a cross on the street , if you put more stickier tires on it.
Also most of the times actually the Evo knows more then it's own driver.

So there is a point to get a spring over the coil overs.

BUT BUT , the serius guys or anyone who planning more spirited driving and track days , the coil overs and sticky tires a must.
You can out run /even if you dont bealive me/ most of the track almost everything with factory whp and lighter car, with coilovers and tires.
Yes the Evo is that good.
Oh, I'm totally in agreement. I personally will do ~6 track days per year. I will have done 4 by year's end in the Evo. I currently know I'm not getting everything out of the stock suspension and tires yet so I'm not upgrading.

When I'm ready, I will most likely get setup by Robispec and have them installed and aligned by a competent shop along with proper sway bars and any other camber plates or other ancillary items recommended by some of the more professional vendors on this board.

Also, thanks for the Ivey recommendation. He's tuning my car next Friday.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bli8
Eibach makes lowering springs for the GSR but not the MR. Does anyone know if anyone else makes lowering springs for the MR? And why the difference?
WORKS makes springs for both the GSR and MR (.5" drop and .9" drop). Mine were installed this week on my MR. I chose the .5" drop springs........so far so good and really like them
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:18 AM

I think the OP should realize that anything is better than stock. So yes springs will give you a lower stance, depending on which springs you go with, and better handling. Coilovers on the other hand give you a range of adjustability. But on the street, I think coilovers are over kill. Each person has their own opinion, so the only right answer is what the OP decides to choose to go with
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XxXtremeEvoX
I think the OP should realize that anything is better than stock. So yes springs will give you a lower stance, depending on which springs you go with, and better handling. Coilovers on the other hand give you a range of adjustability. But on the street, I think coilovers are over kill. Each person has their own opinion, so the only right answer is what the OP decides to choose to go with

I agree

If youre not one to make adjustments to the coilovers hence actually using them on a track then springs would be the more obvious option.

why pay all that money if you arent going 2 adjust the coilovers and leave them as is???

my opinion is if youre gonna track and actually make adjustments then coilovers are for you

but if you're one looking to kill that monster wheel gap and stiffen up the ride alittle then springs will satisfy you
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

If you're on the street, there is no way you can begin to approach the limits of the Evo's suspension so there really is no reason to mess with it unless you enjoy shortened suspension travel and the reduced comfort and load capacity that comes with that.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

"I think the OP should realize that anything is better than stock."

my point was absolutely the opposite. If you get a bad springs etc or bad alignment, /example like some guys install springs and alignment.../ you actually ending up ruin the whole handling badly.
It was a very nice and famous- perfect example with the previous models and a Tein lowering springs.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"I think the OP should realize that anything is better than stock."

my point was absolutely the opposite. If you get a bad springs etc or bad alignment, /example like some guys install springs and alignment.../ you actually ending up ruin the whole handling badly.
It was a very nice and famous- perfect example with the previous models and a Tein lowering springs.
+1....not EVERYTHING is better then stock.

I would put money on stock being faster than the green springs around a track or auto-x.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Aug 27, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
+1....not EVERYTHING is better then stock.

I would put money on stock being faster then the green springs around a track or auto-x.

- Andrew
, specially when you see them, bouncing around on the track...
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
i wanna track my car at least once or twice a year but i dont know any tracks where i live at and i dont have the pesos to replace the tires if they go out. but i do wanna track it badly even if it is for 10 minutes. this is my first evo and i have been reading and waiting to get a evo for three years now and i finally got one. now i wanna see what it can do on the track so let me know of any tracks in jersey
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayevo23
i wanna track my car at least once or twice a year but i dont know any tracks where i live at and i dont have the pesos to replace the tires if they go out. but i do wanna track it badly even if it is for 10 minutes. this is my first evo and i have been reading and waiting to get a evo for three years now and i finally got one. now i wanna see what it can do on the track so let me know of any tracks in jersey
http://www.njmotorsportpark.com

Just opened up.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs vs. Coilovers