Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lowering Springs vs. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
im not paying all that money to track my car one time
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
im not paying all that money to track my car one time
It's not a cheap hobby. Good luck finding an instructed day for less than $250 anywhere.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
another option is the AutoX... which is cost less and way less fun too. For me anyway.
standing and watching the guys running 2 hours then my turn to run is 50 second. Not to mention the launching and the bad road surface and the tire wear+ low speed track.
Not my cup of tea. But the lowering spring and the harness bar is good enough there.

I think the price difference is well worth it. all day long track time , as much you want, you can really learn your car , etc.
For me so far in the states is the road race is a winner.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
It's not a cheap hobby. Good luck finding an instructed day for less than $250 anywhere.
on the website they say you have to be a member and fill out a application with a nonrefundable 500 deposit. then you have to come in for a interview. i appreciate the link tho and i know it's not cheap but correct me if im wrong but it said that it was 15000
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayevo23
on the website they say you have to be a member and fill out a application with a nonrefundable 500 deposit. then you have to come in for a interview. i appreciate the link tho and i know it's not cheap but correct me if im wrong but it said that it was 15000
That's their club membership. Check out Porsche Club, Audi Club, BMW Club, NASA, Track Daze, etc. 2-day driver's education events. You usually just have to pay their $40 yearly membership and then pay for the event.

http://thetrackschedule.com/

I use this as a filter to find events that work in our area. Honestly, because everyone is dying to get on the new track, I'd look to events in the fall or even next year.

Good luck.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
That's their club membership. Check out Porsche Club, Audi Club, BMW Club, NASA, Track Daze, etc. 2-day driver's education events. You usually just have to pay their $40 yearly membership and then pay for the event.

http://thetrackschedule.com/

I use this as a filter to find events that work in our area. Honestly, because everyone is dying to get on the new track, I'd look to events in the fall or even next year.

Good luck.
thanxs
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by truDriver
I can definitely attest for Mike. He is fast, and that setup is completely legitimate. I have Megan Tracks currently, and I like them a lot, but I don't have much to reference. I do know that Mike has had different setups and his current spring + damper + swaybar setup is fierce!

I agree with Andrew here. So much nah-saying on GOOD springs + sways + struts v. coil-overs. Sure a 3-5k coil-over could be better for a time attack car. But seriously, do you need a set of Motons for a DD with AX/HPDE mix car?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

canyon runs FTW!!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:46 PM

New hear but not to the track. Just an opinion but I am waiting on the Koni setup. They make excellent shocks and you usually get 0.5" of lowering just by using them because they de-gas there shocks.

I used Tein with Koni Single Adjustables with stiff Progress sway bars on my old RX8 and the combo work great on the track. I could stay with Evo's in my torqueless rotary!!

I am thinking spring rates in the 300-400 range for my new Evo X would work best, any comments?

EMRAracing is who I Time Trail with. They are very laid back, safe and very inexpensive for 3-4 20 minute sessions and 3 timed laps it is only $195.

If you guys go to there events let them know I sent ya.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by tlr9
WORKS makes springs for both the GSR and MR (.5" drop and .9" drop). Mine were installed this week on my MR. I chose the .5" drop springs........so far so good and really like them
Could you tell me if the roll is reduced and the comfort as a DD is maintained?
I track my car and notice a fair amount of roll but my wife uses the car as a DD so I have to respect the comfort.
Had the MR tuned by Ivey and it really moves. Only added a K&N filter so far.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bli8
Eibach makes lowering springs for the GSR but not the MR. Does anyone know if anyone else makes lowering springs for the MR? And why the difference?
Just saw the ad for the Eibach's for the MR with both .5" and .9" lowering
Old Sep 6, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 05mazdarx8
New hear but not to the track. Just an opinion but I am waiting on the Koni setup. They make excellent shocks and you usually get 0.5" of lowering just by using them because they de-gas there shocks.

I used Tein with Koni Single Adjustables with stiff Progress sway bars on my old RX8 and the combo work great on the track. I could stay with Evo's in my torqueless rotary!!

I am thinking spring rates in the 300-400 range for my new Evo X would work best, any comments?

EMRAracing is who I Time Trail with. They are very laid back, safe and very inexpensive for 3-4 20 minute sessions and 3 timed laps it is only $195.

If you guys go to there events let them know I sent ya.
i did race with them last year twice!
I planning another one sept or oct.
they are really nice people.