Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Advan A13 tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Yup. Manual says "A". These new Advans are definitely not directional. Learn something new everyday.

But I stand by shaving a new tire to match a mere 2500 mile tire set in fear of overheating the diffs is preposterous at best.

IDK about all that. When you turn, your tires spin in different speeds and the diff handles it fine. Worn down tread isnt going to effect roatational speed THAT much where a diff will be damaged. What over heats the diffs is when people dolly an awd car and the fronts arent spinning at all or vice versa with the rear
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Yup. Manual says "A". These new Advans are definitely not directional. Learn something new everyday.

But I stand by shaving a new tire to match a mere 2500 mile tire set in fear of overheating the diffs is preposterous at best.
I know this is a topic for another thread, but there is a great article on tirerack that shows a comparison of a tire that is 10/32 tread vs a tire that is 8/32 which equates to a very small difference, but a difference that can still cause damage. On a 17 in tire, this puts one tire at about 24.97 in overall diameter vs like 24.88, which seems tiny. However, that means that the tire is rotating about 4 more times per mile which can put a continuous strain on the diffs, both limited slip and center.

See the thing that's important to remember is that the diffs are meant to allow for momentary differences in rotational speed, like when the inside tire makes more rotations than the outside in a turn. It's not meant to allow for these differences 100 % of the time though, and that can certainly overheat the diffs and cause them to prematurely fail.

I think you took what I said in that other thread the wrong way, as I was only giving that guy the worst case scenario because I wanted to help him to avoid potential damage later on down the road. Would it for sure have done damage? Maybe not, and you're right that at 2800 miles (not 2500 btw) there probably isn't much wear on the tread but then again who knows how this guy drives?

I've ruined a set of tires in just two track days, and that probably only equalled like 40-50 miles of actual driving. Maybe he's just a commuter and it doesn't apply to him, but I just wanted to help the guy out and I think that you overreacted a little bit and didn't really think about what I was saying. I probably should've elaborated a bit more in that post, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Check your manual dude, the A13s are not directional. They are recommended to be cross rotated like in pic A. That's one of the best things about these advans as opposed to the ones on the previous evos.
advans on the ct9a were also not driectional.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure? I was pretty sure that they were... 'cause in a press release about the X mitsu even made mention of this being an improvement over the previous evo's tires.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Are you sure? I was pretty sure that they were... 'cause in a press release about the X mitsu even made mention of this being an improvement over the previous evo's tires.
ya im sure everyone I know flips them on the rim.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Advan A046's on the CT9As are 100% directional. Rotate front to back only.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilution310
advans on the ct9a were also not driectional.
As I mentioned earlier, mitsu even said in a press release about the X that the use of non directional tires was an improvement over the previously used tires on the ct9a, and that ought to be enough proof right there. Not trying to be a dick, but you might want to go outside and look at your tires. Here is even a link from the tirerack showing a big picture of an A046 advan oem tire for the evo 9 and you can clearly see the word "rotation" written on the tire with a big arrow. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...nSpeedRating=V
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

you're right they are directional but all the people I know run them both ways, we even track them like that no issues.