Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

z1 star spec

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
z1 star spec

A lot of people tell me to get the z1 star spec but then again you can really only get like 15k at most. What tires should I get if I just ride on the street and highway???
Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run a set of star specs myself and they do wear out pretty quickly... your not going to get much life out of any summer tire... how long were you expecting a set of tires to last you?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well for $900 I was expecting around 20k at least
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
Well for $900 I was expecting around 20k at least
You can't really look at the price to wear quotient when talking about a high grip tire. Your paying for the improved handling the tire might give your car, not for it's wear characteristics.
I'd recommend sticking to a tire with a wear rating higher then 200. You'll give up a little 'at the limit' grip but tire wear and more then likely, ride quality will improve quite a bit.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Alright well give me a couple suggestions.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyo T1R $170 from td4l.com

Treadwear of 280, so in theory they should last twice as long as the Star Specs.

http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_P..._P1929C198.cfm

<on soap box>
You bought a performance vehicle, not a honda fit. If you put cheap, crappy, hard tires on your car, you will lose most, if not all, of the performance differences of the Evo vs. every other car out there when not going in a straight line.

I put performance tires on *every* car I own (even civics) simply because they perform better and more predictably when I need it -- braking, turning, accelerating, etc. Now they tend to suck in the rain when compared to an all season (but better than some $60 POS off the noname rack) and it doesn't snow here, so I don't have to worry about ice and snow performance.
</on soap box>

ETA: you can save $20 a tire and get the Proxes 4. Good tires, but NOWHERE near as sticky as the T1R or stock yokos (and star specs).
http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_P..._97W_P1966.cfm

ETA2: if you like dunlop you could go with the DZ101 which is comparable to the Proxes 4 (get a free ipod for buying them ):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

Last edited by goofygrin; Aug 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Agree agree agree...

regular tires on an evo makes it an above average car. But great tires on an evo make it an amazing car.

I just put star specs on my evo this Monday. Let me tell you... hoooolllleeee crap what a difference! I can literally throw it around a turn without so much as even a bit of slip or tire squeel and my understeer (when pushing hard) is dramatically reduced. They simply are amazing. I don't think I could ever go back to Kumhos or Bridgestones after driving on these.

That being said, you may just want a "daily commuter / comfort" tire and that's ok too. Just realize that you'll be giving up a lot of the handling and performance in trade.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec look decent for the price but they don't have very much comparison data yet on them at Tirerack.com. When I replaced my tires on the Evo 8 I had good luck with Kumho Ecsta MX lasting around 20k miles. They are a bit softer during the first few thousand miles where you are burning through the top layers of rubber but at 80% tread down to 20% tread they were pretty darn good.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Agree agree agree...

regular tires on an evo makes it an above average car. But great tires on an evo make it an amazing car.

I just put star specs on my evo this Monday. Let me tell you... hoooolllleeee crap what a difference! I can literally throw it around a turn without so much as even a bit of slip or tire squeel and my understeer (when pushing hard) is dramatically reduced. They simply are amazing. I don't think I could ever go back to Kumhos or Bridgestones after driving on these.

That being said, you may just want a "daily commuter / comfort" tire and that's ok too. Just realize that you'll be giving up a lot of the handling and performance in trade.
So are they loud cause some of the people I talked to said those tires get loud
Old Aug 29, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
So are they loud cause some of the people I talked to said those tires get loud
Yes. There is definitely a noticable level of road noise when going down the highway at 65 MPH. I have to turn the stock stereo up a bit more than usual just to be able to hear it ok over the whine of the tires.

It's not so loud that it's unlivable -- but if a quiet ride is what you want, these are not the tires to get. But if an amazing level of grip is what you want, then this is about as good as it gets.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Agree agree agree...

What tire did you switch from?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. There is definitely a noticable level of road noise when going down the highway at 65 MPH. I have to turn the stock stereo up a bit more than usual just to be able to hear it ok over the whine of the tires.

It's not so loud that it's unlivable -- but if a quiet ride is what you want, these are not the tires to get. But if an amazing level of grip is what you want, then this is about as good as it gets.
alright thats fine i have a pretty loud exhaust so it shouldnt be a problem, also another tire im considering now is the Kuhmo Ecsta Mx. ive heard that these are almost as good as the star spec
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No, any cummo korean tires are not in the same class as the star spec. I mean, maybe nominally, but not for street performance.

There is no tire with these qualities:

- cheap
- long lasting
- great dry performance
- great wet performance
- quiet

Sorry!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
every high performance tire /real high performance/ are quiet loud.
But when you get there when you have to have them, probably you will not hear them because the exhaust and the intake noise ...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah.. honestly I have to clarify something. I did some more careful listening and while I can hear the tires at 65 humming it's not louder than the drone of the exhaust + the whoosh of the AC on full blast.

I can hear them but like someone said.. most exhaust systems, even with a hi-flow cat, will be way louder than the tires.

Previously had Bridgestone Re050 that came with the car -- they are no where near as grippy as the Dunlops. I've also had Kumho SPTs on a Mazda 3 -- they literally suck compared to my new tires.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Sep 2, 2008 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: z1 star spec